Current Device Deals & Best Prices (link to new thread at bottom of thread)

[quote=“RLDreams, post:1159, topic:17374”]
“more”.
[/quote] = HA :grinning::smiley::laughing::grin::smile::wink::yum::slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Jimxenus now I have an excuse to get one.

Now I need to " hack" into wife’s email, since A-Z account is in her name and see if I can find that email.I guess this will negate using Harmony remote and means I need to dig FireTv remote out of the drawer.

I ordered 1 more full FireTv boxes for the $75 yesterday, but if the stick remote really does work with HA, I need to get a “case” before the sale ends Monday. I know I guy that builds/sells TV boxes I am sure he will buy the extra sticks off me to install XBMC on

Yup, she just got the email 1/2 hour ago

*Alexa on the all-new Amazon Fire TV
Alexa on the all-new Amazon Fire TV just got even better. In addition to providing music, news, weather, and sports, you can now also ask Alexa for info on local businesses and restaurants, and control connected home devices, using the Fire TV Voice Remote—just hold the microphone button and ask

The one I ordered yesterday will be here tomorrow. I can play with it and confirm

2 Likes

Non-Dimming Enerwave switches back in stock for $26

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I9L0L4C?dpID=317nb-AgnYL&dpSrc=sims&preST=SL500_SR101%2C160&refRID=P0PFC0CW4ZCPJ3NXZPC5&ref_=pd_lutyp_simh_4_3

Smart Energy monitor $20. Hook this up and then connect to online services to provide realtime and historical plotting of your energy use.

Update: Just found out that Bidgely no longer accepts individual accounts unless your electrical company works with them in some way.

http://www.amazon.com/Aeon-Labs-AEDSB09104ZWUS-Aeotec-Monitor/dp/B00DIBSKFU/ref=sr_1_24?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1448743299&sr=1-24&keywords=Z-wave

So on the fire tv voice remote, The responses come out of the TV speakers, right? So the TV has to be on?

I wonder if that’s true for the connected home device commands. What powers the fire TV stick?

The Fire Stick plugs into its own USB power adapter. If you don’t care about voice responses, I wonder if just plugging in the USB power is enough to give home automation commands.

The FireTv us a standard 2A USB charger. NOT the 1amp USB port so many TVs have for loading USB drives

Well the TV stick is not actually giving the commands, it is just sending them out to AWS cloud and then back to your hub(s) just like Echo does.

Do I need an Apple computer to run some curl program to make a meter , like the other HEM app ? I already have the meters, but don’t have a Mac to actually be able to use them with Plotwatt app. That and I have been out of the loop too long to figure out why I need to create 3 different virtual meters for my 1 HEM to get it to actually report usage other than in recent device history

I have a HEM v1 and all you really need is the Bidgely Home Energy smartapp as described above to start reporting your usage. Nothing else is needed. Very simple actually.

So, plugging this fire stick into my current tv, then using the remote, I can control my HA devices just as if I was using echo?

Yes, same as the echo remote. You have to hold down the microphone button while you’re speaking and you have to be close to the microphone.

From what I can read you can now use your FireTV voice remote, just like your Echo Voice remote. I can report more tomorrow when my new FireTv box arrives. I didn’t buy it for this, just figured I already have 2 Firesticks, so why not waste $75 on the actual box, so I could run more apps on it. If nothing else the $25 stick works great for turning that old TV into a monitor for CCTV with the Tinycam app ( that’s all I use one of the 2 I preorder for $15ea last year for. )

Thanks. Do I need anything else to make this work? Just the fire tv stick?

So I could plug this into my smart tv in the bedroom and move the bedroom echo somewhere else?

I just got a Fire TV about 3 days ago. Alexa says “This feature is not currently supported” when you try home automation commands.

Is the fire tv set up using the Alexa app?

I stand corrected. I just went up now and tried it again. It now supports HA commands. This was not the case as of two days ago. I was able to control all the lights in my house via the FIreTV Stick and Alexa.

Sorry for the confusion.

3 Likes

What ask is needed for the fire tv? I’m completely unfamiliar with it.