Curious About Simulated Switch Behavior

I don’t understand what you mean by that. Piston 2 only turn on switch 3.

What switches did you apply this driver to? All 3? If so, then this is all futile because you’re not really doing anything.

I considered adding in something like that, but was just trying to figure out if there is another way of getting it done without having to add that much more code to the mix.

But you don’t tell us what you’re trying to do. You tell us how you’re trying to accomplish it and trying to force that to work when there is a good chance it may never work.

Tell us what you are trying to accomplish.

I may be missing something here, but what ‘driver’ are you talking about?
I have tried whatever has been put forth here in this thread, and am open to trying whatever other ideas come forth.

I have already stated it, but…

Piston 1
if switch1 turns on
then turn on switch2

Piston 2
if switch2 turns on
then turn on switch3

What I want is, if switch2 is already ON when piston1 executes, I still want piston2 to notice that switch2 was sent the ON command, and thus execute its orders anyway, regardless of the fact that switch2 was already on.

That IS!!! what I’m wanting to have happen. lol

Have a look on the link in my above post.

Actually WebCore does what you ask, if you consider it, it works when “changes to on” happens.

DTH…you changed the DTH for all 3 switches we are talking about here?

But what does having switch one on do? Virtual switches don’t do anything on their own. If you told us what you are using them for there might be an easier way to accomplish this.

Because the solution presented does do exactly what you want.

You may be right, and I may get better results over there, but even though I am dealing with webCoRE in my scenario, I am also dealing with a SmartThings-created Device Handler, and I thought perhaps I’d start here for the sake of that.

I will go create a sister thread over there.
Thank you! :slight_smile:

NO!!! That is the exact OPPOSITE of what the OP is asking for. The switch is on and he is turning it on again. Changes is the last thing that will help this situation.

1 Like

Right…and perhaps this is either revealing that what I’m wanting is just simply not possible, or I just need to word it differently.

But the piston has “changes to on”. That is part of the main if statement what the OP is trying.

Right, and perhaps I need to re-code it to something else.
Mainly, I just want to know if this is possible.
I will gladly code the darn thing however it is needed. :slight_smile:

You haven’t told us what you really want. You’ve told us about virtual switches. What are these virtual switches accomplishing? What are they doing on your system? Why do you have to turn a switch that is on, on again?

Also, how are you turning switch one on in the first place?

Hence why i asked for a screenshot.

@sgnihttrams Please post a screenshot of your piston. if you won’t, there’s nothing else I can do to help you because what we have said works.

LOL

Sorry, All, but this is just getting ridiculous.
I don’t blame anyone. I know it’s probably just my communication style.

I have already explained and reexplained and reexplained it so many times that it’s nuts.
I’m starting to feel like maybe I’m on Candid Camera, or Punked, or Boiling Point lol

It’s really simple.
I assume it’s just not possible.

OK, how about a completely different kind of situation…totally outside of home automation to try one last time…

Joe and John and Jeff

They have agreed that, if Joe tells John to open his eyes, then, based solely on knowing that John was sent the command to open his eyes (doesn’t matter where the command came from) Jeff will open his eyes; regardless of whether John’s eyes were open or closed at the moment when Joe told John to open his eyes.

[NOTE: if you try to be all exacting, it breaks down, because if Jeff’s eyes are closed, how could he know if John’s opened or not?, and I don’t necessarily need or want Jeff to even know anything about Joe in the first place. So, please don’t go there lol]

This?

1 Like

I’ve asked you for what we need to see what’s wrong but you refuse to provide it. I can’t help you if you won’t answer the questions I’m asking. How do you expect anyone to help you if you won’t answer their questions. I’m the one who’s starting to feel like he’s on cadid camera. You don’t seem to want to fix this.

And your latest post is both condescending and rude. Don’t bother answering my questions now, I wouldn’t help you further anyway. Deal with the fact that it’s broken. You have only yourself to blame.

I’ve already stated that pistons have already been posted above.
So, ignore that if you want, but don’t put this on me.
The info you asked for already exists above.

I said SCREENSHOTS. Because what you posted is not in the same terminology use in webcore.

This is entirely on you. And I’m done trying to help you. You’ve been nothing but rude. I don’t need this kind of abuse for nothing in return.

I specifically stated that another user (by name) had already posted pistons above.
If you choose to keep ignoring that, then again, that’s on you.

Until you started going off on me, where exactly have I been rude?

I’ve clearly been silly, and apologetic for the way I communicate in that I use so many words.
I just don’t see (again, until you started getting huffy with me) where I have been rude.