Criteria and Recommendations for Selecting WiFi Modules Suitable for Embedded Systems?

Hello experts,

I’m currently selecting a WiFi module for a small embedded system that requires a high degree of integration and reliability. There are so many WiFi modules on the market that I felt a little confused during the selection process. When choosing a WiFi module, what performance indicators and features should I pay special attention to? Also, are there any specific brands or models of modules that are more recommended for embedded applications?

I suspect you’re in the wrong forum. :thinking:

This forum was set up a number of years so that customers could help other customers with the Samsung SmartThings ™ Home Automation system. That is a consumer – ready system, and most of the devices are bought off the shelf at places like Best Buy or Home Depot. So all of the questions and answers are assumed to be in that context. And it would be very rare that any community members were designing embedded systems hardware.

I’m trying to think of a suitable alternative forum for you. If this is for an individual DIY project, maybe hackaday. If this is for a commercial project, then one of the professional or technical associations, like IEEE, but you would have to be a member there. But in any case, someplace more hardware oriented. :thinking:

2 Likes

Btw, in a SmartThings context, “Wi-Fi module“ is a popular device class, which is probably why Google brought you here, but in this context, it means a pre-built lighting control that gets wired into the mains to control a single lighting fixture. Not something that fits on a board. so while I’m sure there will be community members who would be happy to debate the relative merits of Sonoff versus Shelly WiFi dimmer modules, neither is going to fit what you are looking for.

https://www.shelly.com/en-us/products/shop/shelly-plus-1-ul

Any posts in this community referring to “Wi-Fi modules“ will be discussing this kind of consumer – ready home automation device.

2 Likes

Last thought: nabto has a good explainer article on the type of criteria you are looking for. It wouldn’t be useful to community members here, but here’s the link, as it might be a good place for you to start for your project, as well as giving you some ideas for more useful search terms. :thinking:

1 Like