Cree to offer Zigbee LED smart bulb

Is it too soon to say if there is any advantage with these over the GE Link bulbs? GigaOM says that they are loud when dimmed?

I started with Joshua’s code. It worked without dimming.
Now, this code works with dimming. Seems like it’s ready for more testing.
I just picked up one of these bulbs this evening. It took (only) an hour to find the code for a custom device type in this community, and implement an on/off and dimming Cree bulb.

I am not a programmer, but I can surely copy and paste.
Nice work guys/ gals

Frequent polling is not a great solution by any means. As you said it adds traffic to the zigbee mesh, and it also adds traffic to the ST cloud. I have decided not to use polling for those reasons. Unfortunately the primary use of polling - to update when physical power is switched - has no “event request” to trigger it; so our only option is frequent polling if we want that functionality. At the end of the day, they’re all mediocre solutions, and the true fix all is to never power cycle these bulbs manually. They seem to work much better if they’re always powered on.

2 Likes

Used this code. Works well. Thanks. Look forward to the Smartthings approved code.

Yup. Yup.
This process works fine.
I seem to have found 1 bulb that doesn’t connect.
1 connected fine.
2nd one wouldn’t.
Used the on off 2, on off 2, on off 2, on blink, off, start connection waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting.
Tried another bulb and it worked 1st time with above sequence.
Make sure to create device type from code first with STicks18 code.

An alternative to interval polling is some variation of a smart switch, like the Hue Tap, as we’ve been discussing in the Hue topic:

Seeing how similar these bulbs are in price and function to the GE Link bulbs, I wouldn’t be surprised if the same manufacturer made the logic boards for both. Perhaps GE and Cree simply attach their LEDs to them.

I initially had the same thoughts, as the reset procedure is the same for both. But they both have different endpoints. Maybe that’s because one is LightLink and the other is not?

Make sure you have the most recent zigbee firmware. I had the same problem. Once I updated the zigbee firmware to 1.5.4 it started to work. Email ST support and they will take care of it, of needed.

Thanks so much, @jma9, that did the trick! Emailed support and they had my hub updated in under an hour. Now I’m running just fine on the code posted by Scott.

Thanks @jma9 and @Blake . The updated firmware did it for me too.

Ahh, thanks for that!

Nobody has really commented on their impression of this bulb… opinions?

I don’t have one yet but my problem with the GE Link bulbs is that the light is totally undiffused. My dumb cree bulbs have a much nicer diffused light and I am hoping that smart Cree looks the same.

2 Likes

I don’t have a GE Link bulb to compare to, but I like them. They are a nice soft light. I don’t hear anything when their dimmed, even with my head a foot away.

In an ideal world, I would have a zigbee switch I could replace my physical one with, but until those come out, I need to have polling, even if it is only every few minutes it would do the trick. Can someone point me to some example code to see if I can get it working? I saw some threads talking about something called Pollster, but I don’t know if it is related or not.

SmartenIT has a zigbee wall switch that some people have used with ST, but I’m still waiting to hear if it’s functioning with ST as a true smart switch and reporting the state change.

Pollster is what you want then. It’s a great SmartApp that allows you to create groups of devices with different polling intervals (down to 1 minute). I use it for other purposes now for some devices that don’t auto-report their status. I did use it briefly for my GE Links, but for the reasons mentioned, I decided to stop.

Make sure that it is:

Used the on off 2, on off 2, on off 2, on blink, off, start connection and wait 2-3 seconds, on

I’ve noticed that the bulb can be picky as to the timing.

1 Like

The cree connected’s light is identical to my dumb cree bulbs.

1 Like