Cree Bulbs Listed as Unavailable After Power Outage

(Scott Graham) #1

Hi Guys,

I thought I’d pass on something that happened to me today. I’m hoping maybe you have a more elegant solution to this problem, but as a worst case, maybe this will help someone? I should point out that I am a relative newbie to SmartThings.

We had a power outage last night, and when power returned, everything was fine except for my Cree light bulbs. Another brand of bulb, Sengled Element Classic A19’s all were unaffected.

After power was restored, all of the Cree bulbs were listed as “Unavailable” in the SmartThings app. Sure enough, they were not controllable. I tried cycling power on each, and the state didn’t change. I rebooted the SmartThings hub, and no change.

This morning, after having left each of them off all night, I tried again to turn them on, and was hoping I’d see they were available, but no luck. My next step was going to be to delete them, and re-connect them. However, after actually removing and restoring one, I discovered a happy accident that restored the remaining Cree bulbs without having to delete them first (which of course ends up messing up all the automation routines which referenced the deleted bulb).

What I did was this:

I tried to add a new device (in this case, I didn’t remove the device first). Then turned on the “Unavailable” Cree bulb. No device was found, so, I clicked on “Find Manually”, and then clicked on Light Bulbs. Interestingly, there was a device listed (and unfortunately, I can’t remember the terminology now) that indicated it was a unnamed Cree bulb already known to the system. At this point, I just backed out (“Cancel”), and to my surprise, the previously unavailable device was now listed as “On”, and no indication of being unavailable. I repeated this process for each of my unavailable Cree bulbs, and it restored every one of them.

Any thoughts? Hopefully there’s a better and more logical way to restore unavailable Cree bulbs?

I used to have that issue with my Cree bulbs and I decided to use the power outages to my advantage. I removed the batteries from my hub. An extended outage will force a rebuild of the zigbee mesh when power is restored.

(Joseph Whistler) #3

I had the same experience as the OP. The power outage occurred while I was out of town, so my security lighting was dark for the better part of a week.

It sounds like removing the batteries from the hub is the answer, and then plugging the hub directly into a outlet (I currently have my hub plugged into a UPS.)

I wonder if there are any other implications resulting from removing backup power on the hub? How long does it take, once power is restored, for the hub to rebuild the mesh?

Thanks!

I’m sure the total rebuild time is dependant on how many and type of other zigbee devices you have. I’ve read where some meshes can take hours to rebuild, but in my case, the Crees and all of my motion sensors are up and functioning in about 30 seconds.

The only implications i could imagine would be automations tied to the states of those devices. I do have my hub behind a surge protector as it seems the power company is always doing line work in the neighborhood.