CPaP integration? (rudimentary) with smartthings to (a) log sleep (b) automate actions based on sleep

So, I can’t find any actual integration between my CPaP machine (used nightly for sleeping due to sleep apnea) and smartthings or even IFTTT. (Phillips DreamStation unit) ironic considering it is a wifi unit that reports multiple stats regularly to it’s closed app. So I thought I’d try using a spare Iris Smart Plug to notify smartthings if it’s on/off based upon wattage range. (Just need to make sure it never shuts off, particularly when being used as that would be…not so good)

Anyone else ever try similar? Could effectively mimic any sleep sensor since I use it 99% of the time.

Also thinking I might find a way to integrate sleep time into the iOS Health app? That might need a go-between via IFTTT…not sure which would work

If you search the forum, you’ll see that members do report occasional phantom events such as switches turning on or off when they were not scheduled to. Neither smartthings itself nor mesh protocols of this type are appropriate for any kind of medical equipment. Indeed, you will find that warning in the user guide for most Zwave devices. I just don’t think this is a good match for the use case.

https://www.smartthings.com/guidelines/

Data accuracy and consistency from SmartThings sensors, including those provided by SmartThings directly, resold by SmartThings, or supported by SmartThings, is not guaranteed. Therefore, you should not rely on that data for any use that impacts health, safety, security, property or financial interests.

If you just want it as an extra monitoring aid, but it is not your only means of monitoring and a random “turn off” command from the network wouldn’t impact your health, you might be able to set something up that way. But that would require rewiring the unit and would probably void the warranty on it. So speaking just for myself, I wouldn’t do that either.

A lot of people can come up with clever ways to get this to work as a proof of concept. But that doesn’t mean it’s something you should risk your life over.

I would write to the CPAP manufacturer and ask them if they can add IFTTT reporting capability. But again, only use that as a convenience factor.

I use smartthings to get an alert if the guestroom window is open when rain is expected. But I definitely don’t use it for my medical monitoring system.

JMO

1 Like

I also have a Cpap machine. I usually know when it turns off or if my mask is not right.
Gets hard to breath when it’s off and the airflow noise has woke me up the few times I’ve pulled it off.
I personally don’t see the benefit of hooking up to smartthings? Is it supposed to send me an alert saying my machine is off? I think I would know that as I’ll have to breath through my mouth to breath. Hence snoring begins, wife wakes up (cause she’s not used to snoring anymore) pokes me and says fix your mask! Hahahaha

If you already have statistics from machine via app what is there to learn from monitoring it?

Just my 2 cents.

Jd- point noted. Was planning to send an email to Phillips suppprt.

Don - I’m thinking of using the CPaP on/off as a sensor trigger for other automation. Not as an action.

1 Like

Valid point, could trigger good morning get or things like that.

I use taking my.phone of the wireless charger as a good morning trigger. Turns on lights for me and such. Very convenient.