[DEPRECATED THREAD] webCoRE design process

Hi all
I’ve tried installing WebCore and the WebCore Piston Smart app but as I didn’t get any feedback when installing the WebCore Piston I clicked the button a couple of times. Now, when I look in the installed SmartApps I have duplicate WebCore Pistons. Is this an issue? I can’t deleted them as when you click on one it doesn’t do anything:

Thank you @anon36505037. That worked

Just jumped on the Core SE bandwagon…
Published webCore & webCore Piston successfully.
Installed webCore successfully.

I can access & create new pistons on Windows Chrome. Even managed to restore a piston as per the “exercise” much earlier in this thread.

However, when I try to create a new or edit an existing piston via app on my phone I get this:

Using Android 6.0.1 on a Note 4 using the stock browser.

Thoughts anybody?

Thanks
J

Edit: Tagging @ady624

Just looking for a bit of advice. I have searched the thread but can’t find what I’m looking for so…
I have Hue bulbs and Hue motion sensors which I have setup in the SmartApp in every location I could see that is relevant for the Light (colour lights, dimmers, lights, refreshable devices, switches) and I’m trying to create a piston I have in CoRE to capture lux changes and Store to a variable:

The issue I have is when I add the light I want to check if it is switched on but when I select physical device, dining room light, attribute I can’t see a switch option:

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance

I think a lot of people are not realizing this yet

1 Like

Right…even though it’s in the title of this thread.
Oh well…I’ve missed a lot more obvious and important stuff than that ‘a time or two’ lol

I’ve not installed CoRE SE to check this (I’m still confusing myself enough with the current CoRE!), but in SE are the Condition Numbers going to be isolated within their Group (if “Add group” is selected)?

For example, in the current version of CoRE when I select IF it creates Condition 1. If I then select Add Group, the next condition is Condition 2, then Condition 3 and so on. Finally, when I go back to the top level IF to add another condition group, the Condition number would be something like Condition 7.

That gets very confusing for me (especially since you can’t see the Condition or Trigger numbers outside of where you entered them). I think it would be much easier to follow if the group got tagged with a Group Letter and subsequent conditions would be tagged with the group letter and condition number.

Current way…

Suggested way…

Or will all of that be moot with the way the SE version displays things since it is done on the computer/web?

No numbering, though internally, they still get IDs - it’s just that the CoRE UI is publishing these IDs, reason being the easier navigation through multiple depth levels of conditions. They all look the same in the step-by-step driven UI of ST…

If the UI is going to show Condition/Trigger IDs or numbers, perhaps there should be an option on the dashboard side to show these IDs. With the current CoRE, I often use the dashboard to view and work through my logic as it’s so hard to keep track of and view in the app as you are building the piston. It’s great that the app shows those IDs, but there is no way for me to look at the dashboard, find a problem with my logic, and then easily tell where in the app that problem is located at.

Again, maybe in SE that will not be an issue since it’s all done on the computer/web vs the app (for the most part).

There are line numbers on the left hand side gutter.

I did see those line numbers, but how do they help me when building the piston.

In this photo you posted,

How do those line numbers correspond to the Add a new condition pop up window? If a user could see in the pop up window which line number they were effecting, it would make it easier to trouble shoot a piston for a non-codding type of user. Even it if was hidden as an icon that you had to mouse over to show the corresponding line number.

Personally, I think it’s going to be a moot point because of the way the user interacts with the new UI. As you mentioned, because the UI is web-based, you can see everything (or almost everything in case of a complex piston) because of the large screen real estate (on a desktop screen). Plus, you click on the line (currently) you need to work on, so you shouldn’t forget where you are in the piston — unless you have an extremely short memory; even if you do accidently (or not) add something in the wrong place, you’ll be able to move it (I hope, LOL … that feature is turned off temporarily, so I haven’t played with that for awhile).

I’m gonna hazard a guess and say the popup (in the picture above) is associated with selecting the statement on line 12 :wink:

Guess we’ll have to wait til Adrian releases the beta version to play with … so we can report any bugs :smile:

Hum, I was under the impression that the pop up drove the lined code in the background of that image. Are you saying that one will actually type out the code shown in the background to generate the pop up? That does not sound right at all.

If the code was written real time in the background while one entered stuff on the pop up, that would be super awesome. That should make it really easy for non coders to see what’s going on and get a much better understanding on how logic works.

Do me a favor please, that seems to be Chrome on Windows. Press F12 and then right click on the Refresh button and choose the last option, the hard reload one. Then press F12 again to hide the developer tools. Then try again, comparisons should be nicely populated. Then you can save it and see how it works. The popup generates the code in the back

The code in the background starts as a “template”. You click on the statements on the template to bring up the popup for you to fill in. Once you fill in the popup, it gets reflected back to the “template” as code.

Edit: OK, the man has spoken :smile:

Does the code in the back get generated real time as you manipulate the popup?

Not real time. The code in the back gets generated after you click ADD, in the popup.

It gets updated when you save the popup, so that you get the chance to cancel out. Install it and play with it - it won’t do anything though, but you can generate a few pistons to get the hang of it

1 Like

I’m tempted to install it to play with, but right now I’m still having issues figuring out how to do things in the current CoRE and don’t what to confuse my self even more. I probably should have just stayed out of this thread. lol

3 Likes

Lol, go ahead, try it :wink:

2 Likes