CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

Don’t leave :slight_smile: I just had the mood to type - watching a movie lol

1 Like

Ok, I will give this a run and YES I do need to figure out how to turn the lights off. Obviously ALL the lighting in my entire home is smart and on motion sensing, so in current st apps i have the option to say TURN OFF after X minutes. Can that be added to the CoRE (turn off after condition stops or after condition stops in XX minutes?) I know I am looking for spoon fed GUI - but just sayin.
THank you for explaining the empty circle and full dot conditions and triggers. I couldn’t even get that just looking at it. phew. So noted in my spiral notebook of NOTES ha !
Is there a quota on questions? I am sure I will have to be reigned in now that I know where to find you !

Can CoRE push notifications use wildcards or variables?

I have a piston that alerts me when it’s cooler outside the house vs. inside the house so I know when to open the windows each evening. I would like the notification to include the temperatures from each sensor. Something like Push Notify, “Open windows, it’s {backyard temp} is less than {bedroom temp}.”

Ideas?

Yes and you actually guessed the format right. Just use a save attribute temperature to variable ‘name here’ and then use the {name here} in the notification message :wink:

1 Like

Don’t feel bad. These guys had to help me out a lot during my first few pistons. Its now making a little more sense, but still feels a little like witchcraft and spell components since I don’t understand everything perfectly. I still can’t figure out why some options for actions or conditions seem to work and some do not. Since there appear to be a lot of reasons. X doesn’t work with Y but does work with Z, and Te works with Y. Arg.

Here is what folks helped me with regarding getting the motion to turn off my light. One of the big things for me was that I didn’t want the Piston to change anything if the light was already on. Nothing like trying to do something in a room and the motion sensor stops detecting since you are working on the floor and the light turns off!

Latching seems to be the best thing for anything that has 2 parts. At least with my stuff. Do this, and then turn it off after.

I was using And as well for my conditions and it appears that Then IF works better. Again…sorcery…both should work, but somehow Then If works more consistantly than And IF. Maybe it likes to go step by step and evaluate things.
So for mine, I have to things for it to look for before it runs. That motion is active, and that the light is not already on. If both of those are true then it does its thing, which is to set level and color for the light. I put my restrictions for Modes in here, but you could apply them to the whole piston if you want. But for some of mine its a case of do this if Mode is Home and this if Mode is Evening.

Now go down to my But IF. Originally I had this as Changes to. Didn’t work, so I copied someone else’s magic formula, and went with Is - Inactive. Don’t know why this works better but it does. They also had the secret of State Change Only. I had trouble finding that at first, but then scrolled around after in the same area and found Only Execute on Piston State Change (as a toggle On Off button.)

Feel free to post questions here or even Private Message me. I can’t help with everything as I am still learning too, but am happy to help where I can.

I sat down last night to start converting my rules from rule machine to CoRE. The first one was simple, but did not work, so I stopped. It was: if time is between 19:00-23:00, set dimmers(outside lights) to level 1. After building, the condition showed true, but the lights never dimmed to that level. What am I doing wrong?

Screen shots of the core dashboard for the piston will be really helpful.

It’s there now.

1 Like

Pistons are not evaluated continuously. They rely on events. Your condition on time will generate events at 7pm and 11pm. So your lights will turn on at 1% at 7pm. But not at 8:13pm or 9:25pm. Every day at 7pm. You may want to convert that piston to a Simple piston and add an action for Else: turn off. This way the lights turn on at 7pm and then off at 11pm.

Hint: the little counter in the corner there shows how much time is left until next event.

Thanks, I’ve added it. I don’t really understand Polling. I tried this as Refresh (since a manual refresh seems to work) but its not doing anything. I’m sure it has to do with using Do or not having a time or something, but I’m have no idea what.

It needs to look like this basic piston:

IF
   Time happens every 15 minutes
THEN
   Using Smart Weather Tile...
      > Refresh

I might also suggest trying two things. The lights might need to be turned on after setting the level, and 1% for a dimmable light is just too low in my experience, I start with 10% and go up in 10% increments. Several of my lights just won’t dim that low, they just shut off.

You are close :slight_smile:
Rick

1 Like

Thanks. I knew it looked all wrong.

Got it. So, with rule machine I also had a trigger that if the front door was opened or someone arrived home between those times while the lights are dim, it would raise them but then lower them back down after 10 minutes. What’s the best way to go about that?

It does not appear to be working. This is what I have. It is showing the next scheduled events while I’m working in Core, but no Refresh is happening in the Tile.

I had similar issues when using the SmartTile as well, don’t think it’s CoRE, never figured it out though. Hope you find out what it is

Rick

@Toy4Rick
Hmmm…when I tried something else I looked at Using All Devices - Refreshable devices. And this Weather Tile is not listed as a refreshable device.

Would that make a difference in why this won’t work?

UPDATE: It now appears to be working. Do some things take almost a half hour to start seeing results? If yes, I’ll stop being so impatient! :wink: I just didn’t know that you might have to wait awhile for the systems to talk. I will confirm in an hour or two that it is still working.

Hi all.
I have a piston that used to work but for some reason has stopped working.
If you look at the piston below it was once true but is now false. If you look at the ‘else’ timer it starts to count down.
Unfortunately the timer seems to reset every minute or so and therefore the else never matures.

Any ideas?

Just an update folks.
I received this from @ady624.
Enable only on piston state change… if the device is chatty, that ELSE action group will keep getting re-initiated.

Did this and hey presto. It worked.

Thank you very much for the reply. I suppose I am just frustrated after hours of trying - seems overly complicated for the majority of use cases. I so appreciate your take on it, as I was beginning to think “am I just too dumb to use this” ! ?
How would anyone know how / when to use the conditions/ triggers and why specifics like “is” “changes from” “changes to” etc etc … It is complete voodooo - i feel like I was suppose to look to the east, the west, make the sign of the inner ST circle, jump on one leg and chant something right along with each click, only to arrive at the RED BAR ughhhhh ---- thanks for the therapy session this morning.

I gave up and went back to the trusty lighting director which was done in about 3 minutes; and what I was previously using for months that worked perfectly.

While it looks powerful - and I am sure it is if you have the behind the scene’s insight as to what EACH and everything functions as, I cannot imagine the average everyday user being able to use this.
As well, I am concerned that being a community app and NOT supported by ST, It could turn into another RM disaster, and after pouring hours of time and getting things converted could be a real nightmare. I am cautious - I and most people just want their things to work with dependability.

I guess after a whole week of trying to educate myself on it, and tinkering I am fatigued and cranky. TGIF.

I may go back to it (eh we’ll see) but putting it aside for a moment to breath. You may hear back from me!

Thanks again, I appreciate you taking the time to reach out and screen shot that for me.

~~and have a great weekend.

Andrea

Original Message-----