CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

Thanks, but this is now what I am finding using your example.
IF
MS1 motion changes to active
Followed By
Light A ON
THEN…
Light B ON

Issue is when
Light B is ON
Followed By
MS1 changes to active

LIght B will turn ON when MS1 changes to inactive.

…tried different Comparison Fx too no avail.

I’m sorry you are having problems getting things to work. Initially you had stated you had one contact switch followed by a motion sensor. In that case, yes, the piston I mentioned would work in this instance.

In your reply, you mention now a second light to be turned on and that the Contact Sensor when inactive would turn on this second light. Is this correct? This would change all the initial parameters of the initial example and would require a rethink.

To Clarify exactly what I want to do…
I want the kitchen light to turn on when the back door opens when arriving but not when leaving.
When using the Presence function, there was too much of a delay. So thought of using the Contact sensor followed by a Motion Sensor to turn on the light.

Thank you for the clarification. In my ST world (tested using two motion sensors), this does work as you describe. Should you wish to add another light to the equation and have it have different actions just for the motion sensor, it would take a rethink.

Think below would work in a basic piston

If time is between 5:30 & 8:30

Or

Time is between 4:30 & 11:30

Then

With switch
Turn on
Wait 5 mins
Turn off
wait 15 mins

Follow up with ‘name of your piston’

This should work:
Use a Basic Piston in Expert Mode

(Add Condition)
If Presence Sensor “Stays” Preset for 5 Minutes
When True for Condition
Set Variable Type Boolean {home}=True note do not put the { } when setting variable name.
When False for Condition
Set Variable Type Boolean {home}=False

OR (this is used to separate scenarios)

(Add Group)
(Add Conditons)
If contact sensor “Changes To” open
AND
Variable {home} is False
When True for Group
Using Light
Turn On

The above takes the motion out of the equation. The presence will not be dependent upon your actual arrival time. This should ALWAYS work as long as you stay home or away for more than 5 minutes.

I apologize for my ignorance, but do not have any experience on setting variables. Is there a resource you can direct me to?. I tried going to Capability–> Variable–>Data Type = boolean, but got lost at this point.
Also
What you are proposing will it address the issue of , when Away at arrive Home, the presence mode can take anywhere from 30 sec to 10 min to register correctly.

So I made a few assignments but I’m having an issues if the physical door does not stay open for more than the 20 second delay then the virtual door either never opens or remains open once the physical door closes.

1. have virtual door follow physical door open/close with delay on open
  2. virtual door used for SHM

I thought I was doing something simple here but I guess not. I found some complexity that I hadn’t anticipated when I started. All I want to do is flash my Hue Lights in my office and wife’s office 3 times in red (blink-blink-blink) when my Ring doorbell senses motion and return to whatever state the light was in prior. This is my 1st solo Piston so honestly, even after reading what I could, I’m a little lost. The piston fires but just turns the lights on bright white. lol. At least it does something. Any ideas?

This is helpful – I had wanted to do a similar thing and am new to CoRE.

Any idea how I would modify this for two presence sensors (people) involved?

Same basic desire - I would like to have kitchen lights come on when I arrive home and open the door. But not when leaving the house. I would like to implement this not only for when I arrive and leave, but also for my wife. This sort of logic makes my brain hurt. For example, if my wife is home, but I have just arrived, I do want the lights to come on when opening the door. But if she is home, and I am not home yet, I don’t want the lights to turn on if she opens the door to leave.

I feel like there’s a way to do this with “Presence” “Changes To” for each phone and the use of variables, but I just can’t work it out.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide!

I am looking to setup a piston, but can’t find one option. Below is what I want.

IF:
Front Door Contact Or Laundry Room contact (Found this in CoRE)
IS OPEN (Found This in CoRE)
And stays open for 2 minutes (Can’t find this in CoRE)
And it is after Sunset (Found this in CoRE)

THEN:
Hallway Light will turn off

I will make a similar Piston that does this.
IF:
Front Door Contact Or Laundry room contact
IS OPEN
And it is after Sunset

THEN:
Hallway light will turn on

Can someone give me an idea where the timer for 2 minutes is?

This works just fine.
I am also trying to figure out what the conditions are for a thermostat. I have 3 Ecobee3’s in my home. I would like to use their status (AutoAway/Away/Sleep versus Home/AutoHome) to trigger other events (similar to an occupancy sensor), but can’t figure out how to use that information. I am aware that there may be latency issues, but for turning on/off a circulating pump for hot water, that is not a big concern. The “thermostatmode”, “thermostatoperatingstate” options are not appropriate b/c they indicate if the thermostat is in heat/cool/auto mode and whether it is idle/cooling/heating/etc, respectively. I don’t know how to figure out what the options with the little house icons mean and how to use them. Thanks for any help.

Hi. I hope somebody can help me with setting up a piston, I’m not really certain of the best way to get it done.

I have a Yale Keyfree lock, which has an auto relock time of 1 minute. Through the device programming, it doesn’t seem to be able to accept a relock time of greater than 90 seconds. With a toddler and a baby, that’s nowhere near enough time to get everyone out of the car and get to the door before it re-locks.

in Pseudocode, here’s what I want to do:

IF ANY of (Presence Sensor 1 or Presence Sensor 2) changes to present
Set Variable $runcount = 0
WHILE Door Sensor is Closed and $runCount < 10
Unlock Front Door
$runcount +=1
wait 30 seconds
LOOP

The idea behind it is to repeatedly unlock the door for 5 minutes, unless it has already been opened.

What I don’t understand is how to set a WHILE condition based on the state of a device, or how to perform a device action inside a while loop.

Can anyone help with this please?

Just a general question. Has anyone had any problems with having too many pistons? I have 19 running right now and they are working flawlessly. I’m wondering if I’m approaching a limit at which I will start to lose stability.

Hey Joel. When setting up your first condition, instead of selecting IS for your comparison, you can scroll down and select STAYS. This then allows you to add a time in the main condition menu like so

Your Piston works, but I left out a variable and can’t figure out how to add it. The Contacts on the Front Door and Laundry Room door must close before the 2 minutes starts.

I guess I’m a little confused what you’re asking for. What variable do you want to add?

Hi, first time CoRE user, loving the power and flexibility!

Hoping someone can help me with a use case:

• Motion sensor turns on under cabinet lighting
  • If there is still motion in the room within 1m turn on overhead lights too
  • If any lights are on, turn all off within 1m of no motion

I’ve already got a piston working with the motion-lightson-no-motion-turnoff part, but struggling to think of how to activate the other lights.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks
James

Im trying to use the “water” value from smart weather station tile 2.0 in a core piston but when add capability > sensor > smart weather tile 2 > attribute > “water” > comparison > is >

the only options I get are “wet” and “dry” when the only thing that ever really returns for “water” is true / false so the piston always returns “false”.

is there a restriction set on this “water” value that will only let core look for wet/dry?
I need to be able to enter “true / false” in the piston for it to work and I dont know why it wont let me just type “true/false” vs selecting radial buttons! help!

I can post some screen shots if this does not make sense.
i did post something similar in the thread for the app too.

Hi, I have an Fibaro FGS-223 connected to a switch be side the front door at my home.
I would like to be able when I leave the house to press 3 times on the momentary wallswitch and then all the lights should go off. In the settings for the switch is an option “Send scene ID on tripple press” the thing is I don’t know how to use that information in a Pistons.

I have not found anything on “Scene ID” and CoRE.

This action would be so use full when you are leaving the house.