CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

Weatherstation Tile has now been update, after working with the developer, and it will give CoRE all the weather parameters including wind, wind_gust and UV

1 Like

I believe you would have to setup the conditions into groups so that you can have a trigger AND/OR trigger.

1 Like

Try using the THEN-IF piston.

1 Like

There is a FOLLOWED BY sequencing operation (enable Expert Mode and add the two triggers then click on the AND between them and choose FOLLOWED BY. No timing though, but you can use individual actions on the first trigger to set some threshold variables to cancel the actā€¦

1 Like

Is either recover all pistons or rebuild all pistons supposed to erase all the rules from all pistons? I started to have some issues, and I did click rebuild all pistons, and now, all my rules are gone. Is there any back-ups I could do next time?

I seriously spent hours and hours setting everything up, is there something to recover now? if not, is there something I could do to prevent this situation next timeā€¦?

thanks !

My understanding and limited experience with rebuilding pistons is that sometimes running the rebuild once can mess the pistons up more than they were. Running the rebuild the second time normally fixes them all back to the way they were. Nothing to lose at this point.

1 Like

Hello, I have a piston that alerts me with an SMS message when a device battery goes below 25%. Iā€™m using the variable $currentEventDevice but this morning when I received an SMS it said ā€œThe time battery is below 25%ā€ where time was what the variable spit out. Is there another variable I can use that will tell me the device name?

This has probably been covered, but weeding thru the thousands of posts trying to find it is proving impossible.

I have a DO piston that triggers a beep on a keypad. I want another piston that calls this one every sec or so for X number of times. I tried using a FOR action with a WAIT, etc. But it still only calls the other piston once.

Alternative would be to execute the DO piston once a sec for X number of seconds.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Show us the piston pic, it makes it much easier to figure out.

Edit: Try $currentEventValue

Try a ā€œfollow up with pistonā€. I wouldnā€™t be comfortable with a 1 second loop though, itā€™s too short, with cloud issues, some unexpected results might crop up.

I assume that you trigger this at a specific time. This is why the $currentEventDevice is displaying time. $currentEventValue will only tell you the time that it is firing which I am sure you already know because you set it up.

I would guess your piston is set up something like this:

IF date/time HAPPENS AT 7 am everyday
AND
some device battery level IS below xx%
THEN
USING LOCATION
send SMS "$currentEventDevice is low battery

Instead of that you should save matching device list in your section that checks the battery levels. Then send that variable in your message.

I will try the follow up. But I guess Iā€™m a little confused as to how the DO loop is incremented. Do I need to increment the value? If so, how do I do that.

Here is what I have nowā€¦ or example of:

Do X from 1 to 10
Execute Routine AAA
Wait 1 second

Do I need something else? And the 1 second may be an issue, but I can deal with that.

Thanks

Does anyone have experience with Load Attribute from Variable.

I am trying to set the temperature on a Simulated Thermostat

I am thinking the DTH needs to be modified to allow this, but I am not certain.

Something like thisā€¦ I used Execute piston instead of Follow Up.

IF
Your trigger
THEN...
Using location...
  > FOR 5 CYCLES DO
  > Execute piston 'DO - Push test'
  > LOOP AFTER 5s

Where do you find the ā€˜loop afterā€™?

[https://sea1.discourse-cdn.com/smartthings/user_avatar/community.smartthings.com/eibyer/45/27702_1.png] eibyerhttps://community.smartthings.com/users/eibyer
February 24

Something like thisā€¦ I used Execute piston instead of Follow Up.

IF
Your trigger
THENā€¦
Using locationā€¦

End loop ā€“ will prompt you for the pause time

Iā€™m not sure if this has been resolved, Iā€™ve seen some posts about load attribute issues with thermostats.

Yep, your example is exactly how I have it set up. Iā€™m not understanding what you mean by

you should save matching device list in your section that checks the battery levels.

This might be an expert mode only option but regardless just go into settings under the main core settings. Turn expert mode on. This will not make your life more difficult but will allow you to do more advanced things when setting up pistons.

Moving on. When you are in your piston editor and you select the section for your devices. It will be something like this:

Battery Device List
Contact Sensor, Motion Sensor, etc.

Attribute
Battery Level

Comparison
is below or whatever

On this page scroll down to the Set Variables Section, In there you will see an area title ā€œSave matching device listā€. Click on that and type in the variable name that you would like to use. Can be named anything you want. If you donā€™t plan on using this list outside of this particular piston then just set it as something like ā€˜lowBatā€™ with no quotes or symbols in front.

Now go to your tasks section and instead of using the $currentEventDevice variable use your variable that you setup above.

Perfect!! Thank you very much.