CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

Screenshots are always helpful. Hard to say what might be wrong without them.

I have put this piston together and I can’t get it to kick off. I know they are all hitting.

NM figured it out. put in KWH instead of W

Here you go

In that last picture, click on the + for Additional settings.
What is the Minimum away time? Were you away long enough for this to have triggered?

You can try adding a piston in CoRE to tie the routine to a switch or button for testing to make sure the routine is running.

Another item to check is under “Additional settings” in the next to last pic, do you have the option for “Only once per day” selected?

Either way
 I don’t think this is a CoRE issue, so if the issue persists, you may want to create a separate thread to work on it. It could become a CoRE issue if tying it to a switch or button doesn’t give results.

Yea the phone was definitely gone long enough. I had it set not to run if I was already in the home mode, which I was. Dumb on my part. Thanks anyways :slight_smile:

1 Like

Next question, how could I get the CoRE piston to not execute if both phones arrive at the same time or if one is still away?

Same time is probably going to be virtually impossible since the timing for device check-ins isn’t always consistent, regardless of what presence method you use, although you might be able to use a specific window of time for comparison (such as Jaret’s iPhone did not change In the last 4 minutes)

To get a piston to execute if one phone is still away, you could change the IF part to include multiple groups of conditions using the “Add a group” option

IF 
[(Jaret's iPhone changes to present AND Kyle's iPhone is not present)
OR
(Kyle's iPhone changes to present AND Jaret's iPhone is not present)]
1 Like

I’ve been working off an on for about a week on this one. The goal is to unlock the back door when either my wife or I arrive home, but not if we drive by the house. I’ve got it to consistently unlock for us, but have not figured out how to keep it from unlocking if we change from present and then back to Away within a certain period of time. Then yesterday I saw the cancel on state or piston change option and tried that out. It did not work. In the screen shot you will see two sets of logic. The bottom one is what I had tried to use yesterday. I think it failed since I now think the “state” did not change, since I went back to away. The 1st one is a new one I just set up but have not had the chance to test. Just looking for a second set of eyes.

Sorry for my ignorance, but how one creates a “tap”?

I have a bunch of setting like chimes and welcome home phrases but notice that they sometimes are delay by minutes. Is there a way to stop the piston so they don’t do that. An example would be that my door chimes when you open it but sometimes is delay. Would want it to cancel the chime if I close the door behind me.

I have a piston that turns on my family room light to 40% if motion is detected and lux is below a certain value. How can I disable this piston if I manually turn off (or dim) the light via Smartthings app or physical switch on wall?

Also, when I try to view Dashboard I get “An unexpected error occurred”. I’ve tried changing Dashboard theme to classic, still receive same error message. Running v0.3.169.20170104

There may be an easier way than this, but what I did was to create a virtual ‘override’ switch (which the ‘auto on’ piston can evaluate when deciding whether to switch the light on), and had a piston switch this on if the light was switched off by anything other than the ‘auto on’ piston.

To take account of the physical switch on the wall (which I’m assuming is not smart), you’ll also need to have another virtual switch for logging whether the light was turned off by your ‘auto on’ piston (and therefore if this logging switch is not on, you can assume the light was turned off by other means and you can flick the override switch on.

i’m going to reply to my own comment for others who might want something similar. The 1st IF worked as expected. I brought up smartthings to watch the piston in action. When I became present the 1 minute timer started, but then before the 1 minute timer completed, I moved out of the geofence, and became AWAY, and the timer was canceled. The door did not unlock. I then went back into the zone, the timer started again, and the I stayed in the zone and the door unlocked. I have my zone set to as small as possible, and 1 minute is perfect for me. It unlocked as I was walking up to the door.

So for anyone else trying to create this. The door will unlock, but not if you happen to be just driving by the house.

Which ‘capability’ should I look in to find the devices that are using the built-in ‘Momentary Button Tile’ device handler?

Somehow, I can’t see what to choose when setting up a Piston to act on a Momentary Button Tile being pushed.
I mean, I have some Momentary buttons, and when I go into ‘Button’ when picking out my trigger, I see some of them, but not all.

Switch will list them also.

Yes, but when I select Switch as the capability, and choose the button from that list, the only options for what happens are ON and OFF
no choice of PUSHED or HELD.

Thanks for the quick reply, I may give this a shot. The physical switch is a smart switch. I just meant if i manually press the toggle button on the switch, opposed to using the Smartthings app. How do you reset the virtual ‘override’ switch?

Is there a way for the IF statement to compare a variable value to another variable value, and not to a pre-set constant value?