CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

CoRE has stopped working for me completely, for the last 10 hours. Non of the pistons are working. Opening the app just crashes it and says "You are not authorized…"
I read that updating the app through github may help but it’s still the same…
@ady624 someone, how can I get CoRE back?

I’m trying to set up a piston to alert me in various ways when the doorbell rings. I have my doorbell wired up to a fibaro contact sensor via the doorbell’s flashing LED.

Problem is, the way the doorbell works - when the doorbell button is pushed once…the LED flashes on and off for a period of 10 seconds or so.

This has the effect of ‘opening and closing’ the fibaro contact sensor multiple times over that period.

Therefore, when I try and trigger events to occur as a result of the contact sensor closing, it triggers multiple times.

How can I ensure a piston fires once only - ie, when the trigger activates for the first time only, within a 10 second period?

Currently I achieve this via use of a virtual switch. The virtual switch is turned on when the contact sensor closes, and then stays on for 10 seconds before being turned off. This virtual switch then, in turns, triggers the events I want to happen when the doorbell rings - but how can I tidy this up into one piston, without the use of a virtual switch?

Contact Sensor turns on virtual switch:

Virtual Switch triggers Alert:

Try updating to the last version, that’s what someone else had to do to get it to work. Has to do with file size.

I have a piston set up to trigger a change in setpoint on my heating system at 5 AM. It has been working well for the last couple of months, but every once in a while it doesn’t actually trigger properly. This morning it triggered at 6:13 AM (or at least that is when it changed the setpoint). Could someone explain what might cause this to happen?

You might want to try either setting the ST mode’s with presence then have an “only in Mode” restriction. Or you can always create a virtual device switch that gets turned on if anyone is present and off if everyone is not present. Then you can use that as a condition in the piston. Just a couple of ideas off the top of my head that might help you.

I know this is probably very simple but I’m having trouble putting my mind at ease about it. I just installed a CT-100 Thermostat yesterday and I’m now working out the details of making everything work together in all situations.

Using a virtual switch (Vacation Mode), the following Piston sets vacation mode - which then ignores my ‘normal’ thermostat schedule. I’m using RBoy’s Individual Change Thermostat, which is set to only work in home mode - not Vacation or Away Mode. The piston then adjusts my CT-100 thermostat heat/cool set points to save energy. When I return, I turn the Vacation Mode virtual switch off and the normal thermostat schedule runs again. Here’s the piston:

My Piston question is this: Do I need to include one or more “State Change Only” restrictions - and if so where? My concern is that whenever the Vacation Mode switch is off (most of the time), the ‘else’ logic could override my normally scheduled set points. I don’t think that the piston should run unless the Vacation Mode switch is turned on, but wouldn’t it also run if piston recovery runs or some other reason?

is this sort of the right direction?

This is how I’d build it. Latching piston.

IF
Front Door contact stays open for 1 minute
Using location
  > Send SMS
  > Set boolean variable leftOpen = true

BUT IF
Front Door contact changes to closed
AND
Boolean variable leftOpen = true
Using location
  > Send  SMS
  > Set boolean variable leftOpen = false

I’d remove the Else and have the day to day pistons take care of the setpoints and mode change, imo.

Edit: I’d probably include the ‘Vacation switch is off’ as condition in your other pistons that sets setpoints to make sure it doesn’t execute any change while you’re away.

Thank you for your response. I could have handled all of my set-points by using CoRE, but (so far) I’m using RBoy’s Individual Change Thermostat to do the day-to-day set points (6 of them) while in ‘Home’ mode. Once I put the system in vacation mode and send initial set points, they don’t change again until I return and put it back in home mode. So, that’s why I did it this way - instead of all in CoRE.

1 Like

I have a Honeywell 6580 basic wifi thermostat. If I tell core to change my cooling setpoint to 72 when my system is in heat mode, will it also change to the cooling mode? Or will it stay in heat mode but just change the cooling setpoint and do nothing?

@eibyer thanks for the help
Ill give it a try when i get home. i wasnt sure about the Using location, but I assumed that was the then statement instead of being an individual action under the trigger. first piston ive ever tried.
currently

Sounds good. Also one more thing, the variable leftOpen needs to be set to ‘false’ initially, but it will reset to false the first time the door closes and the initial SMS.

@eibyer cool cool. thanks for the assist.

I can’t use time restrictions. It just says nan in the dashboard. The thing is that km in sweden and on ios. In my country we use FM for AM and EM for PM. I think that might be the problem. Anyone know how to fix it?

@ady624 any thoughts?

How do I access the variable washerState and dryerState below?

Current States
switch: off
button: pushed
washerWatts: 6 watts
dryerWatts: 5 watts
washerState: off
dryerState: off

Preferences (edit)
Name Type Value
c1Name Washer
c2Name Dryer
detailDelay 20
dryerRW number 526
kWhCost 0.11
kWhDelay 120
voltageValue 240
washerRW number 22

I tried adding @washerState @dryerState to my global variables initialize to ‘on’ then i did a basic piston: if dryerState is off send notification but it seems the condition is using global initialize app value and not the actual device state ‘off’ value found on ST graph/ide.

The other issue nothing happens when i tap initialize ‘Dashboard’ in ios app. Where do I go to see the Dashboard as seen through out thread, url? App?

Hour 2 of playing around CoRE but I can’t figure it out. Please help :sweat_smile:

@eibyer
thanks for the help. i was still getting a notification every time the door closed, a slight change to the variable to equal true. (◦ Variable {leftOpen} (as boolean) is equal to true)
I really appreciate the help.

Did you get it to work? Will check back when I get to destination.

I believe that got it. thank you

1 Like