CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

Same thing - nothing, they stay on the same colour

Not sure what to suggest.
Below works for me ok.

Enable expert mode in settings.

1 Like

Hi guys, Iā€™d like a little help setting up a piston to change my mode back from away to either home or night. Iā€™m struggling to find the right options to do so. I have pistons set up to change my mode to away when everyoneā€™s phone is gone. Then I have pistons to set the mode to night after sunset, and home at sunrise. I would like it so when someone comes home it sets the mode to home if itā€™s after sunrise but before sunset, and set the mode to night if its after sunset. Any tips?

What Hue Smart app & DTHā€™s are you using?

This is the DTH I am using for my Phillips Hue light strips and bulb.
Improved Zigbee Hue Bulb MA.
You should be able to find it with a search on the forum.
All the strips/bulb are turned on and off using CoRE.
Edit:There may be a better one but I found this and it works OK for me.

Could you not just use a time restrictions in the piston? Under the if true do this area. Something like I do with this light control. Set your conditions to trigger it, under action pick your mode change. Then set your restrictions to limit when it can be done.

Pick sunrise and sunset vice the custom times I used.

Can someone tell me why this isnā€™t executing?

The second condition evaluates as true but the SMS text doesnā€™t come.

Basically all I want to do is turn off a virtual switch and send an SMS text if the power has not fluctuated in the last 30 minutes after a virtual switch has been turned on.

Hello all. Back for more pain. Using homebridge so Iā€™m looking for a theatre Mode command now. This screenshot should explain what Iā€™m trying to do, the living room light triggers the holiday lights off but I want them back on during the movie. The last part wonā€™t execute. Maybe not understanding the wait or need to nest something somehow. Any ideas? Please mention me by username if responding for fear of not getting the response thanks.

@keithcroshaw

I believe the way itā€™s written your then actions are all happening in parallel.

You have to put both your location actions in the same action. Go back to your wait action, scroll down and select add a task.

When you add the second task. In core other will say first do this, then this, then this as you add them. Click done till your back out and remove the old instance of execute routine.

Now it should wait and then run your routine. (I hope) Iā€™m mobile so operating off what I remember I saw.

Thatā€™s risky for me!! I think youā€™ll figure it out.

1 Like

Thanks you lead me to the solution!

No problem, thatā€™s what makes this forum great. People helping people. You might have the hint I need next time.

Happy New Year to all, itā€™s been an exciting year (so happy itā€™s over LOL) and my 2017 new year resolution is to get the web version of CoRE out. Iā€™ve just spent 30 minutes trying to change colors through the very slow CoRE UI, and this is unacceptable for 2017. This is not 2016 anymoreā€¦

Enjoy CoRE with the ST UI while it lasts. :wink:

Many thanks to all on this forum for their awesome support. Thank you all for your Paypal donations, they will cover 99% of my costs to apply for my naturalization, this January (yeeyyy).

Many thanks to the ST team who are awesome behind the scenes. Just want to mention @slagle, @Aaron, @vlad, @tpmanley, Ryan and all others (sorry if I didnā€™t mention everyone, I really mean everyone at ST). Some of them are working while on vacation to make sure CoRE keeps working with the upcoming updates. So thank you!

Thank you to all who restlessly keep helping the others with getting their pistons humming. You guys make this community what it is. A gold mine.

A shoutout to the heroes of this forum, including but not limited to @JDRoberts, @bamarayne, @SBDOBRESCU, and all my friends here.

Thank you all and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

13 Likes

Thank you for such a great app, without it I wouldnā€™t be a Smartthings user.

Happy New Year!

2 Likes

Happy New Year Adrian! I was just thinking this morning that youā€™ve been crazy quietā€¦ Welcome back my friend!

Kudos to you!!! :+1: Happy New Year!!!

Now, get back to work on webCoRE, LOL.

1 Like

Ok so I played around with it some more and Iā€™ve noticed that it has no difficulty fading up but it refuses to fade down. I canā€™t figure out why that might be. On the verge of giving up :frowning:

Also, when I made it into a latching piston with the same variables, the lights donā€™t even turn off after no motion - it keeps counting ā€œpast dueā€, as seen below:

Are there any benefits of latching vs multiple pistons? And how do you have your lighting setup? So I can get other ideas since mine wonā€™t work.

Donā€™t give up, thatā€™s too easy. A few things here that you missed from my other post, you need to double the wait time because the fade and wait happen at the same time. So lets say you want the fade to happen in 100s and then want it to wait 100s before turning off, you need to have a wait of 200s before the turn off (in the end its only waiting 100s if you can see what I mean. Also I said cancel on piston state change, you have cancel all global pending tasks, these are two totally different things. Cancel on piston state change is found in the task cancellation policy near the bottom of the page you put your actions on. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with multiple pistons and I think this is the direction we should go with this. I also noticed from your other post that there is also a past due on your motion piston, this is caused by the platform. I use latching pistons for my motion, I can post one if you want but theres a lot more going on in them than just the motion. Lets scrape everything you have now and start over with two pistons.

First the motion using a latching piston:

IF - Bedroom motion and light motion is active (change the AND to a OR if you want either one to turn on the lights) AND Bedroom motion and light illuminance is less than or equal to 50lux
THEN - Using Justin Nightstand
- Set level to 99% (only for home)
BUT IF - Bedroom motion and light motion is inactive (again change the AND to a OR if you want either one to turn off the light)
THEN - Using Justin Nightstand
- Wait 10 min
- Turn off
Make sure to choose cancel on piston state change so it cancels the wait timer if your first IF becomes true again.

Second the fade using a basic piston:
IF - Home changes to night and Justin nightstand level is greater than or equal to 1%
THEN - Fade level from xxx to xxx in 60s
-Wait 140s
-Turn Off

Feel free to add more to this if I missed any of your conditions. I really hope this helps, post your new pistons if you want me to look them over.

1 Like

What Core system variable name would I use to obtain the temperature value of my SmartThings Contact Switch for using in a Core SMS message? For example I have tried the following, and it does not work:

IF Contact Sensor temperature is even
THEN
if piston state changes...
Using location...
Send SMS notification"The temperature of the contact sensor is {$currentEventValue}" to xxx-xxx-xxxx

First of all, CoRE is freakinā€™ incredible. Thanks so much for all the work that went into this! (Been developing software for 30 years but just starting out with HA and ST).

As for my questionā€¦

Iā€™m using a global variable called @colorTempCool to set the color temperature of all lights with a single virtual switch. It works great, except that loading the color temp attribute seems to also turn the lights on.

Iā€™m using this piston as a global way to change the color of all of the lights in the house, to prepare for other pistons that turn on or off different light groups for various reasonsā€¦but, I donā€™t want it to assume that I want them turned on just because I change their color. IMO, changing the color temp should do just that; if I want them on, I can add a separate action.