CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

Oh I see. I ended up using hue, saturation, and level individually because of the shift in brightness inherent with the “set color.” Thanks for the info!

So, this piston has stopped actually turning up my temperature on the Nest. I have confirmed that the heatingSetpointUp() is still the same in the Nest DH but it no longer does anything via this Piston.

Has anyone heard anything about incompatabilities with Nest 4.0?

Good to know - albeit a little late for me.

Sunday/Monday, I couldn’t get into the dashboard either. Assuming the worst, I ran rebuild on all of the pistons - which caused about 50% (12-15) of them to corrupt and lose functionality (i.e. triggers and conditions). I then spent a few hours rewriting the affected pistons. Fortunately, I had printouts of all of them. But still…

If you run the Piston recovery twice it should bring them back. I’ve had the first try fail or even mess things up more a few times, but the second recovery always worked. Mind, I’ve only had to do this 4 times, maybe 5, and always due to some platform glitch.

2 Likes

I have a motion sensor on my porch which triggers a doorbell. This lets us know to let our cat in.

I have had this basic piston working well for some time. I would like to try to enhance it a bit as to not ring the doorbell when we are letting the cat out… ie opening the porch door… or the door is already open and we do not need to let him in.

Below piston will ring the doorbell all of the time… regardless of door position and I am not sure why. I have been experimenting with the the change status and the open/close position to see if that had any effect… hence the reason for the seemingly duplicate conditions… I assume it must be the order or something simple with the structure… any help is appreciated.

The logic would be much simpler if there was a way to tell ST that the cat has been let out. A virtual switch, or one of those Easy Button :slight_smile: would come in handy.

I have a Piston setup which turns off power to my TV after a set period of time if the switch is on and kodi is paused or stopped. This use of this is because my girlfriend falls asleep with the TV on all the time.

I have set it to cancel on Piston state change and to prevent already scheduled tasks during restrictions (I have no restrictions). The problem is it seems kodi changes to playing then pauses to change display refresh rate then goes back to playing. Sometimes the Piston shows as pictured above. It goes grey and executes no matter what, turning off the tv while kodi is playing. I’m scratching my brain as to why this is happening…

I don’t have a screenshot but on the main dashboard it shows kodi as playing while this happens so it shouldn’t be executing. I added a refresh hoping that would refresh the state of kodi in the Piston but it hasn’t made any difference.

Any help is welcome!

Something like this may work but I haven’t tested it

Help with Piston to monitor Dryer with ST Sensor

I’ve been using CoRE for a couple of months or so and have a lot of pistons, and thought I had the hang of it, but this new one i’m trying to set up is leaving me stumped!

I have an ST Acceleration sensor on the side of my dryer. I want it to notify me when dryer is done. Sounds easy enough. The problem is the sensor doesn’t stay 100% active during the cycle. It bounces between Active/Inactive. I have a brand new dryer, and found the place that seems to provide the most vibration.
Problem 2 is that when the front-load washer right next to it is spinning, it will also cause the sensor to active at times.

I think what I’m needing is something that monitors the change in state (both Active/Inactive) for x number of minutes. I’m not sure how to go about this given that the sensor doesn’t stay 100% active when needed.

Does anyone have a recommendation on which to use? Specifically what the Comparison would be, and the variables. I’ve played with several settings now and just can’t get it right. Either I get no notification, or too many notifications.

If all else fails, I will dump the ST sensor and go with an Energy Monitor for the dryer.

Thanks!

Not exactly the same but I use a ‘stays inactive for x minutes’ with my motion detectors and a TCP to cancel on state change. Without it the sensor changes to inactive and the lights go off despite the fact someone may be in the room. This way the sensor goes inactive and if it goes active in x minutes nothing happens but the cycle resets.

Noob question. Spent 30+ minutes trying to find the section in CORE that will allow me to turn on a switch and then it will auto turn it off after 30 minutes.

I’m trying to turn on my coffee machine and unlock my front door when I press my minimote button (or through Alexa) then turn off coffee after 30

Hope I’m asking this in the right place.
Thanks

It should look something similar to this…

IF minimimote button 1 is pressed  (or pick which button)
Using Switch
  > Turn On
  > Wait 30 Mins
  > Turn Off

Using Door Lock
  > Unlock

Excellent to know, thanks!

DISREGARD… Resetting the Security Token seems to have resolved the issue.

I am having some troubles with my PIstons. They all stopped functioning after the 16.9 Hub upgrade. Not sure if there is a correlation, but that’s when things stopped playing nice. I have Recovered and Rebuilt multiple times. But the Dashboard still shows Pistons past due, and the Live Logging shows:

physicalgraph.api.StatusCodeException: Invalid http status code returned: 503 @ line 2520

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you!

• Nate

Hi everyone. My Automatic Pro 3G is arriving today. My goal is for once the automatic registers that it has hit the geo-fence to trigger a Core piston to open the garage door, unlock the door from the garage to the house, and disarm SHM. Automatic doesn’t have direct integration to SmartThings, but it does talk to IFTTT. I’ve never used IFTTT, but how can I get a Core Piston to receive an IFTTT trigger? :slight_smile:

I’ve got the exact same problem. I’ve tried resetting the security token without any luck. Even trying to remove the app generates the same error. Is there any other steps that you took to get it resolved?

EDIT: Scratch that, resetting the security token seemed to fix it, although it took about 5 minutes before it started working again.

If the crap ever hits in the fan with CoRE and we lose all our pistons; is there backup file somewhere with a detailed layout of what we currently have as pistons/rules?

I was thinking that if we lost CoRE for some reason, considering how “stable” ST is, it would suck to have to recreate all this from scratch.

1 Like

Thanks for your help with that!!! I appreciate it.

So, I kinda answered my own question. I figured I would post it here in case others wanted to do the same thing. I created a virtual switch called ‘car arriving home’ and set my piston to trigger off a status change to ‘on’ on the switch, and in my THEN statements at the end, the last THEN is to set the virtual switch back to ‘off.’ Then, on IFTTT I setup an automation that IF Automatic reaches location, then turn on smartthings switch ‘car arriving home.’ I just took a drive and came back and it worked perfectly! If someone has a better solution I am still all ears!

How would I load a switch attribute to a lightbulb? I’m currently saving the switch attribute to a variable, but then when I try o load that variable’s switch attribute on other lights, they do not turn on. The wierd thing is the same code works fine for changing the levels. Are switches treated differently?

I posted the description and current piston here: CoRE and Piston Rules Engine, first design steps