CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

Forgot I already had a virtual switch in the mix… for changing bulb colours… no idea why I didn’t just think of linking them.

I R smart. Thanks for the nudge!

1 Like

Dan,
This piston will send a text message to you every time a contact sensors opens and closes.

Make these changes:

• In the IF block - set “changes” to “changes to” and choose open.
  • in the THEN block - change “send SMS” to “send push message”.

Note – the word open must be in all lower case. Inside of the {} there can be no spaces.

@dseg did that work for you?

Thank you @Cael that helps. I also got an message from another user too.

The problem I was having was that {$currentEventDevice} listed the actual device ID and not the name for one device.
Now it is listing the name, not sure why.
But is working now, thanks a lot.

Did you change the piston to what I posted above? Our did it just start working on its own?

Hello,
Is there a way to use a piston to keep the value of a set of dimmable lights in sync? Right now I have something like this, but it never sets the values on the dimmable lights. I’m also concerned that this will go wild when I’m using the physical dimmer switch.

IF Basement Dimmer Switch Level Changes THEN Using Basement Bulb1 and Bulb2 Set Level Variable $currentEventValue

Alright, I figured something out. When the piston is set to “Changes to Open” it works and [$currentEventDevice} displays the Device name.
But if I have it as “is open 1 minute” it won’t display the device name with {$currentEventDevice}, it distplays the Device ID in the push notification. Any ideas on why? Below is the piston that works.

The $currentEventDevice represents the device that triggered the event that fired the piston. Stays is initially triggered by a device, and then it sets a timer for the requested time. Once that time elapsed, it gets a time event that triggers it to re-evaluate. That is no longer a physical device, hence the lack of a name. What you see instead is the location id. Use the stays trigger to save the list of matching devices into a variable, then use that variable instead.

1 Like

I understand, is there a way around it?
Do you have an example of using the ‘stays’ trigger to save a device into a variable and then call that variable name?

Yes, just explained it at the end of the message. Use the trigger to save the list of matching devices to a variable…

1 Like

I’m not sure how to do that, is it easy?

Same as what I suggested previously.

2 Likes

I have just had a sensor stop working as the battery has gone flat.
I have the app low battery Monitor installed but it didn’t send me a notification.
So let’s try CoRE me thinks.
While I can get it to check and send a notification with a ‘happens at’ I cannot get it to include the devices that report a battery level below my set threshold.
Any ideas anybody?
Thanks.

I know you were asking for CoRe ideas, but this is working really well for me. I get all the notifications I could ever want, and can pick and choose.

Thanks @Cael .
I was aware of this app but didn’t realise it sent notifications.
I will give it a whirl.
Cheers.

Anyone see anything wrong with this and how it should operate?

Is this a test? If I guess the right answer, do I pass?

How about tell us what is doing and what it’s supposed to be doing.

Both @bobbles and @dseg, go to the condition/trigger that contains your device/devices, scroll down past the when true/false and find a section where you can dump the list of matching devices into a variable. Type in a name for the variable, then use it in a notification between { }…

The THEN will be executed when either the first condition is true (door is open) or the ELSE IF is true. Either use a true Else-If piston, or put the THEN portion as individual actions on the first condition (door is open). Also, the door is closed conditions are not needed. You are, after all, on the ELSE IF branch of door is open…

1 Like