CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

Perfect, thanks!

Ahhā€¦I see. This is what I came by the forum to see. Just to see if it was just me, or others were having problems as well.

I have some Pistons that change Modes for me. My Night and Home ones did not work yesterday or today. But my Evening and Away did.

I wasnā€™t sure that it was Core specific though, since I had my Good Morning Routine fail yesterday and today as well. But all my other routines seem to be working.

I figured I would jump on help chat when they get in.

Can someone help me with this? This is my first piston and it isnā€™t working quite right. I have a virtual switch setup and linked to a Routine called Movie Time. When I press the routine the switch will turn ā€œONā€ then the piston will run. I have the piston dim three hues lights to 10% and set to Soft White and also the TV Room light dim to 10% and set to Aquamarine. It seems to fire OK but when I check the lights they are only dimmed to 67%. What am I doing wrong?

Both pistons which shall change the mode (execute ā€œGood Morningā€ and ā€œGood Nightā€) didnā€™t work. I had no enough time yesterday night or tomorrow to figure this out more in detail.
But I went into the piston and simulated it to see whatā€™s going wrong and the piston were fired. Mode changed inmidiately from Home to Armed (stay). Same this morning, but only if I simulated the piston and than the status changed. I didnā€™t change anything on these pistons.

No idea what happend or is going wrong. Will have a look on it today again.

Thanks

Try reversing the order of Set Color and Set Level. Each Color has a built in Level to it. So you are setting the level to 10%, then changing it again with the Color.

1 Like

I do not believe you are doing anything wrong. When the hue bulbs are set to a color, the light level of that color is part of it.

Example,
Dark blue could be set to a hue and level 25
Light blue could be the same hue and level 75

The Brightness makes a difference.

What I do with mine is set the color first and then change the brightness to my liking. That works really well for me.

Iā€™d like my Foscamā€™s to go to a certain preset when motion is detected in areas.

Iā€™m using RBoyā€™s Foscam DH.

I see there is option "CorE ā€œpreset1(ā€¦), preset2(ā€¦) or preset3(ā€¦)ā€ Does that actually mean go topreset?
Do I have to ā€œadd a parameterā€ then pick ā€œstringā€ and enter the name of the preset as named in Foscam?
I just named them 1, 2 and 3 for simplicity.

Thank you

Perfect! Thanks I will try this.

I need help setting up to automations which I was using Rule Machine.
I am using Smart Alarm with delays and would like my Aeon Siren special device type allowing beeps to beep when the 30 seconds delay is running for arming and disarming from my IRIS keypad.

I also have a flashing Z-Wave device type to make my hall light flash for the same delay period when arming and disarming.

I am totally lost and if Rule Machine doesnā€™t start working after this new ST problem then CoRE is my only hope. So if someone can steer me with as much detail as possible thanks.

Has rule machine finally died? RIP

Post a pic of your rules and we can help you convert.

That is the problem, I canā€™t open Rule Machine on my iPhone.
Double click on img to see full rule
Here is from the IDE 1. Beep on Entry

2.Here is Start Flash

Okay, Iā€™m about to belly-flop into the kiddie pool here, so be gentle. Iā€™m an ER nurse and paramedic by trade, so ā€œcodeā€ means something entirely different to me. What I lack in general knowledge, I more than make up in tenacity. Heck, it only took me about 5 hours to install Ask Alexa, and an equal amount of time for CoRE.

Iā€™ve set up several CoRE pistons, and this program is seriously ā€œThe dealā€. I realize that I can use the native ST program however, it lacks several key features of CoRE. Iā€™m having a problem with connecting the dots between points A, B, and C.

Situation/what Iā€™d like to do:

Tell Alexa to tell ST to run ā€œBedtime for Bonzoā€ (name of piston I would create in CoRE)
All of the lights in the house turn off (Hue)
All of the switches in the house turn off (GE)
All door locks lock (Schlage)
Hue LED strip above bed turns on to 8% and a particular color
Bathroom light #alpha turns on to 5% and the color blue
Bathroom light #bravo turns on to 5% and the color red

Hereā€™s my issue. I see that I can use a voice macro CoRE trigger in the Ask Alexa app to tie the Core app to Alexa. However, itā€™s the ā€œIFā€ portion of CoRE that confuses me. For instance, If I use something like a presence sensor (my phone) as the ā€œIFā€ portion, the trigger would constantly be running. Typing out loud here but, what I think I need is Alexa to be the ā€œIFā€ portion of CoRE.

Can someone get my little pea-sized brain back on the right path? Please donā€™t hesitate to talk to me as if I am a 4-year-old, and crayon drawings are always appreciated.

Comprehension not withstanding, I have read the Wikiā€™s for both CoRE and Ask Alexa.

1 Like

Well, like in accounting, it depends. You have two ways:

There is something that is called a Do piston (change its mode in the main piston page). Then use the askAlexa CoRE Macro to run that piston. The Do pistons have no IFs.

The alternative is to create a simple piston using the Ask Alexa capability. You will have the chance to run something like IF (ask alexa macro) executed THEN (actions). Then you donā€™t have to use an Ask Alexa CoRE Macro, but any macro at all, even one that does nothing.

Choose wisely, red pill or blue pillā€¦ your choiceā€¦

1 Like

Thank you sir! Man, you guys are absolutely brilliant! Sincerely, I stand in awe just thinking about the sheer quantity of intelligence around here.

I think I must have had a bit of an ā€œAh Ha!ā€ moment when you said ā€œDo pistonā€. Back to the Crayola box!

BTW, more than likely Iā€™ll either accidentally swallow both pills or simply trip and drop them on the floorā€¦

1 Like

Good thing you have ER experience :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why? One still wouldnā€™t be able to take oneā€™s self out of a T78.2 due to extreme stress while operating ST :smiley:

OK. Iā€™ve been out for a while, but itā€™s amazing to see the progress CoRE has made over the summer. Iā€™m trying to set up my first piston. It was meant to turn off my living room lights if we went to bed with them on. I wanted to turn the lights off if they had been on for more than an hour between 12:30am and 5:30am. Didnā€™t seem to work when I set it up. I increased the time window and reduced the amount of time the light had to be on, but it still didnā€™t work. Hereā€™s what I set up:

Any help is appreciated.

Current dx coding, your claim will get paid :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have an absurdly simple question yet I find I must ask.i have a door sensor in the garage and want to be notified if itā€™s open too long, but only if there is no motion in the garage. When I add the AND condition the rule never evaluates as true despite the confirmed lack of movement.

Here is the piston, set to two minutes for the sake of testing. Whyhaveifailed?

Try to use changes away from active for two min on motion

As well as changes away from closed for two min. On door sensor.