CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

It can control Sonos (make it play or say stuff, including expletives). It can be controlled by Alexa. Alexa has no master, won’t execute anything unless the commands are spoken to her. In English.

Is this where I send a minor bug report?
When writing a piston, when building the condition, it requires entering the comparison twice.
i.e.

• presence sensor
    • user1
    • user2
  • Evaluation mode
    • All
  • Comparison
    • is
  • Value
    • not present

I have to clear the Comparison value and re-enter it for the condition to be accepted. Is this normal?

Known Android issue, will see what I can do…

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to make the thermostat look at its current temp and then add 2 to that number and save it as a variable?

Current temp or setpoint? Either or is possible. save attribute to variable:

Using thermostat...
   > Save attribute temperature to variable {temp}
   > Set decimal variable temp = temp + 2

That should do it.

Can you elaborate? Can you screen shot via Dashboard and/or app and show?

is it all pistons? If not, any rhyme or reason as to which ones?

Maybe we can get another update from Ady, since ST isn’t providing anything meaningful.

No rhyme, no reason… just no anything…

EDIT:
This is what it should look like.

1 Like

Oh Awesome. So the system is failing. No updates with these details. No instructions to users on how to identify or resolve these issues.

Only meaningful updates have come from Ady. I am sure they will be downplayed by ST as Beta or Unofficial at some point.

In any event, once again, no matter what one does to engineer and design around ST failures (moving to Core to replace awful Routine functionality) you end up broken.

I am sure still 99.9% though!!!

Meanwhile Alex is on week 73 of vacation.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t think folks have fully realized it yet. I’ve managed to get everything back… at least in CoRE. I honestly haven’t checked my other apps…

1 Like

Thank you. That was good information. Looks like the status on the Sonos is either “playing” or “stopped”.
As I was working through the piston configuration, though, I’m pretty sure I found a better option: “Only execute when these switches are all off”. I can just select the Sonos in there and I can accomplish my goal.

I was working and all this happened. Got out of work, there were no issues on my system. I highly recommend waiting out storms like these, editing during instability propagates even more…

3 Likes

I too was working, got back and all was resolved but I had 7 messed up pistons. Rebuild All option fixed a few, then i had to rebuild individually on a few as well. Four pistons were totally shot, nothing in them at all, the rest were missing random bits and pieces.

All were recovered due to @ady624 and his unbelievable recovery mechanisms!

3 Likes

This might be a silly question , when i add a piston it adds ok however when i open the app again it just keeps opening that piston and doesnt take me back to the dashboard. I i select ok it them takes me back to the “my apps section”

Ah, yes, common mistake. To access CoRE, use the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines) on top right of the ST app, don’t access it from the Marketplace.

1 Like

Are you opening it from the hamburger menu (3 lines top right corner of the ST app) or by going to the marketplace? By your experience I would say the marketplace.

Edit: @eibyer beat me to it lol.

1 Like

I’ve seen this a few times already so I made a canned response :smiley:

2 Likes

Bump for @bamarayne, in case this got lost in the shuffle. Or maybe it can’t be done the way I tried to do it.

1 Like

One way to do this…

In the first if, since each trigger/condition is separated by an or, use individual actions.

Go to each condition, scroll down to when true, and put the notification there. You will then only get the notification when that particular condition is true.

That may lower the number of them… I’m thinking here.

Which ones are you getting the most? Open or close?

It seemed like it was notifying repeatedly. I.E. the open condition would be true, and I’d get notifications every few minutes (like every 10/15 minutes). I’d have to unpause and rewrite the piston (because of course now it’s 65 and raining!) Ideally, I just want one when any are true and no others, but understand the potential gotcha with how I’ve written the piston.

1 Like

Ok… Hold on