CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

Past 1259PM?

Doesn’t engage. Tried changing it to “time is after”
As well but still won’t turn it on.

The above all makes sense, but if I am setting a variable on a condition, and I do not use that variable in any other condition within the current Piston again (it will only be used to restrict an action), shouldn’t that work?

Is the restrict of an action in the same piston?

Yes, I am trying to use the variable I set in the condition to restrict an action in the same piston.

OK, let me try and explain this

If Condition #1
Individual Action #1 (Set Variable)

Then
Action #2 (restricted by variable set in Individual Action #1)

I think this is your scenario.

So your piston fires and it evaluates Condition #1 which is true, so it schedules the Individual Action #1 to occur (doesn’t actually perform this action, just schedules it)

And because Condition #1 is true it schedules Action #2 (Since the Individual Action #1 has been schedule but not run the restriction doesn’t work).

And finally the scheduled actions (Individual Action #1 & Action #2) run. Does this help to clarify it?

2 Likes

You are very right Sir, if you would excuse my “very” :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is exactly my use case, and I’m so :disappointed_relieved: over this.

Thank you both @ady624 and @ryan.ray for clarifying that for me.

Do you see any way around this, another possible way I can achieve this case successfully?

What timezone are you in? Looks like a time zone issue or something weird. Some 3 minutes off
 1:15pm is 13:15, plus 10:42 means 23:57, which is 3 minutes off from midnight. Is you phone’s time set to automatic? Is your phone’s date and time off by 3 minutes? :wink:

Yes. Me allowing Set Variable to run immediately (during the condition evaluation). I’ll think about that, you’re not the first who expects that to happen
 The main beef is with Waits, but I can sort that out, so that if you use setVariable without a wait, then you get that set immediately, so you can use it in subsequent condition evaluations.

1 Like

EST. 1:58pm locally here. Phone is displaying the time fine, and the time IDE is reporting in the logs match. But nothing ever comes up in logs under CoRE.

Well, it’s almost 2:01 here
 Check the time online, see if matches your phone

Would love that! :grinning:

This Rule Engine is my life right now. Mmmm, I’m lovin’ it more than McDonald’s :grin:

3 Likes

Yeah my time is fine. Updated automatically by my carrier AT&T. Matches the time on my hub and time.gov.

1 Like

Xobniu, this piston setup works for me just fine. If you click on the CoRE Dashboard, do you see the piston go from False to True at the time set? Also, try a different outlet.

Why doesn’t @DTTemp save?

It’s zero always.

I’ve set up above piston which simulates lights when we’re not home. It’s fit for purpose now but as sunset gets earlier from 21st June need a way of calculating length of time between custom times in condition. Then somehow using this to determine how long a loop for the lights going on and off lasts for. Can this be done in CoRE. Is there a system variable for sunset time?

I know there is the Vacation Lighting Director App that does this, but wanted to try with CoRE as I like all my automation in one place so to speak

1 Like

just a quick question - im really loving CoRE, but one thing i cant get working - execute routine ( example of use i want : IF no motion bedroom sensor, THEN execute routine away) doesn’t let me select this option. I get “error refreshing page”. is this aspect not working yet
if so i can wait. i dont need to use routines in my pistons, but just makes life easier and also id like to so the widget info in android updates correctly. im using the V0.1.09e.20160617

Thank you in advance

Is there any way to get above 2 pistons into 1? Because the top piston has a trigger I cant put another OR statement in the bottom piston as the trigger prevents all the other conditions from evaluating.

Another question related to TOS and TCP.
If the Hall light is on because of motion in the bottom piston. If someone arrives home will the hall light turn off after 10 minutes or will it still turn off after the 3 minutes/fade section. Still haven’t got my head round TCP/TOS

Logs please? Enable debugging in the piston, save, then try to modify it and see if you get an error in the logs. Thank you