CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

I’d remembered bookmarking this older @bamarayne post regarding capturing Hue bulb states to global store. Maybe it may help?

CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

And regarding grouping bulbs so there’s no delay in turning on: I use virtual switches to group sets of lights through the ST Smart Lightng app.

1 Like

Lisa,

Thanks for the help… What I was trying to do is as follows.

If my doorbell rings I was trying to switch my living room lights (6 color Lights) to a different color, possibly have them flash then return to normal state.

Are you doing anything similar to this?

Right now I cannot get the state to return; or get the color to change, however I think i know why the color isn’t changing the custom DTH Hue B Smart colorchange isn’t functioning properly…

Also when using your set up, do your bulb states update?

Hi I’m look for advice to do with datetime and variables. I have the GCal smartapp. I can get the datetime of the next point the event will happen from the openTime attribute of the device. I want to perform an action 1 hour before the datetime in the openTime attribute. Can anyone advise how to set up this trigger? Thanks.

So far I have tried using variables without success and also “is equal to $now” with an offset but I don’t really understand how the offset works with a datetime.

Hmm, tried it but the condition which checks if the presence was away for atleast 5 mins shows up as false whenever the sensor becomes present. I tried a few different versions and can’t get it to only run if both presence was away for atleast 5 mins. I basically have a presence sensor on my car key and my car, and want the garage door to only open both sensors are back after being away for atleast 5 mins. It prevents false positives.

I have automatic color loops but not flashing lights. I had the same problems you’re facing when I used a custom DTH. I’d used one for the scene capability, but realized I lost the CoRE customization.

I uninstalled the custom and now using a slightly modified standard DTH that you can find here:

For scenes, I also use CoRE. It’s a bit more work to recreate them, but it’s a good tradeoff for CoRE capabilities.

Good luck!

Here is the one i’m trying to figure out. I have the hue dimmer switch and added it to smartthings with
[ALPHA] Hue Dimmer Switch (ZHA)

What i’m trying to do it trigger kitchen lights to turn on when button 1 is pressed and turn off when button 4 is pressed. which piston mode would be used for this and how to i get the 4 different buttons to be an option. When i look at the dimmer switch via things it tells me what button is being pushed.

It sort of works via “smart lighting” but it only sees one button on the switch and toggles on and off by single button presses, and if i turn the light off with google home you have to press button 1 twice to get it to turn the lights back on.

This is what I did… Went back to stock Hue App, and am utilizing simulated switches to accomplish what I need to… The one thing I was going to ask, and I see u mention, is the scenes. I miss having those tied to a switch. How do you accomplish this with Core… I mean I know the basics of how to do it, but how are u capturing the scene?

So, I forgot core had variables :relieved:, the following works:

If
Presence 1 was away for atleast 3 mins
and
Presence 2 was away for atleast 3 mins
then
Set Variable Away = 1
Or if
{
{Presence 1 is present
and Presence 2 changes to Present}
or
{Presence 2 is Present
and Presence 1 changes to Present}
and
Variable Away = 1
and
Garage Door is Closed
}
Then
Open Garage Door
Beep Presence Sensor 1 and Presence Sensor 2
Set Variable Away = 0

2 Likes

I would like to have a PlexPlus “room” run if the hours are between 8pm and 2am. I can’t seem to find where I can pull in PlexPlus. It worked under rule machine so I figured CoRE would also work?

How can I set a notification timer the FIRST time something happens, not the second or third?
The first time a plug goes above 20W,
Using plug,
Wait x hours,
Send notification.
? ? ?
At the moment each time the plug goes above xWatts the timer is restarting.
Can anyone help?

Blink Video Length

Blink now allows you to set video lengths up to 60 seconds but I get an error in CoRE when trying to set the video length beyond 10 seconds. Is this a limitation of CoRE?

Thanks.

What’s the best way to do the following using CoRE:

1. When a garage door opens, a text message is sent stating “Garage Door Opened.”
  2. When a garage door closes, a text message is sent stating “Garage Door Closed.”

In RM, I had a separate rule for the “Garage Door Opened” condition and a separate rule for the “Garage Door Closed” condition. I have duplicated this in CoRE (2 pistons), but I’m thinking there is a more advanced way so that I can have a single piston which can use variables to return the state of the garage door sensor on change and can send a text message with that state whenever it changes. I’m just not sure how to do it.

Use the “state change” only option.

Use a latching piston type, in the BUT IF section put the IF Garage Door changes to closed.

1 Like

Thanks - I’ll give it a shot.

I am starting to use Basic Pistons in expert mode with “when true” and “when false” more and more vs Latching Pistons.

Seems easier to do If garage door “changes” to opens
When true, using garage door, send text message…
When false, using garage door, send test message…

Done.

From my experience this works exactly the same as a latching piston but with less steps involved.

What about sending emails through CoRE - is that possible? I see “notifications” and “Push notifications” as options. I’m assuming “Push notifications” is through the ST app. What is “notifications” then?

Notifications just show up under the hamburger menu option in the ST App under notifications. I use this a lot when I want to monitor something but don’t want it sending anything to my phone.

I am not sure if there is an email thingy but I have found text or push notifications to be sufficient.

i currently use my ONHUB router and IFTTT to set my presence when im at home or away , however now i am using smart home monitor there is about a 60 second to 120 second delay in the presence which is causing an issue. I have no problem with this when im leaving however when coming home sometimes i set the alarm off, is there a way to delay this alarm by integrating core?