CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

Ok, I believe I got the basics… now trying to move on to the more advanced.
What I have
If
both presence senors change to away
then enable Blink cameras…
works great

so how do I add
BUT IF
either presence sensor returns disable the cameras? Part of me thinks that would be another condition… but no, then the then would be different… can I do this with one Piston?

Thanks

[quote=“jgirvine, post:2110, topic:50187, full:true”]so how do I add
BUT IF
Thanks
[/quote]

change the piston mode to Latching - it’s right above the first IF - then the BUT IF will reveal itself :slight_smile:

1 Like

What am I missing here. I want core to wait till ALL motion sensors are changed to away…but as I read this it will look at either not both. I choose ALL in the options

…feel like I’m doing something wrong with this–the If section shows as true in the app, however, in the dashboard it shows false and no notifications are sending.

Not sure if this is a reading comprehension issue on my part, or I’m actually doing it wrong. Neither would shock me!

I do want it to notify me to shut the windows when it’s greater than 75 degrees outside, any temp sensor is greater than 72 inside, or (the worst) any inside temp sensor hits whatever it is outside. Currently reading 80 outside and 72 on two different sensors, nothing appears to happen.

Use a simple condition instead of triggers. Replace “changes to not present” with “is not present” and “changes to present” with “is present”. Then you can use All.

1 Like

Since you’re using “execute on state change only” you need to design the piston to actually flip states once in a while. The ELSE IF is an OR in disguise. If any of the two is true, the piston is true. When both are false, the state flips to false. It seems like you never reach that false state? Try changing the mode to Latching instead of Else If.

…I can also get rid of the state change; I duplicated a similar one I had. In fact, if I do that, the If condition is true, but the piston remains false.

Let me try latching…

I HAD said it still didn’t work, but apparently I spoke too soon; it appears to work now.

Latching is different. State becomes true only when it is already false and the main IF is true. It turns false when it is already true and the BUT IF condition is true. Different :smiley:

…was saying that because it still didn’t look like it was going to do anything. Then the notification actually fired.

1 Like

That worked… why is it called “Latching” ? Thanks

1 Like

latch - Electronics >>> (of a device) become fixed in a particular state.

1 Like

The past few days my “stays on for” events haven’t been triggering, at least not reliably. They seem to fail to occur most of the time right now, although once in a while one will seem to trigger. I’m going to reboot my hub and see if that helps, but are there other ideas & suggestions?

Hi all! Need help here… (ok, I admit it, I haven’t FULLY read this entire thread…)

I’d like to set a piston that based on IFTTT chaging x button, it would change my presence to on/off…

Basically, have my phone’s wifi or bluetooth act as the presence indicator…

how would you guys do it?

Thanks!!

You don’t need to involve IFTTT if all you want to do is check for whether your phone is at home. Just use the Presence Sensor that’s set up in SmartThings for your phone.

Hey Jim!

Thanks for that, but the thing is, I live in a sixth floor…

The smartphone presence detects me and/or the wife a good 10 minutes before
we arrive at the door…

Not to mention that on leaving, the security measures take another good 10
minutes to activate…

I’d use Google’s onhub and its ifttt settings, but it’s not on sale in
Europe yet!

Thus, I thought that maybe using ifttt’s android device channel with the
wifi option along with CoRE… i could get faster/better results…

Does that help?

Ah, I see. So you’re within the geofence as you go down the elevator (I hope you have an elevator) and exit the building (or “enter” and “up”). And it sounds like you figure you’ll be out of WiFi range quickly enough that the dropped connection could trigger something.

I’m not aware of anything in IFTTT that allows you detect the connection or disconnection of either a WiFi or a Bluetooth link. Probably especially more complicated because you would want to detect a specific network connection. With Bluetooth, you’d have to have some kind of device at home for your phone to pair with. If you’re handy, you might be able to rig up something with a Raspberry Pi or similar device, and use IFTTT’s Maker channel to interface to SmartThings.

Would a DO action in IFTTT work for you? You’d have to make a positive action - touching an icon on your phone - to launch it, rather than just walking away. But it would be a one-button solution. I’m not sure how you’d launch a piston directly, though. The little bit I’ve played with that type of thing, I used my Amazon Echo, which can connect to both IFTTT and SmartThings. I have the IF (or DO) action send a command to Alexa, which then tells SmartThings to execute a routine. Mine was to have IFTTT intercept a specific SMS text string to fire a routine to shut off all the lights and turn the water heater to a vacation setting at a second home.

Edit: Well, duh. If the DO button would work for you, you might be able to use the Maker channel to send a command to SmartThings.

Yes, Thank you Jason, you are the man, I love this Piston since I have 3 doors Meli can go in/out and they all control 2 different lights. It works very well

Rick

Hey Jim! I was looking at IF and found the screenshot I’ve attached…
that’s what got me thinking…

Take a look at the third option from the bottom…

I like the idea of the IF button… but while I have an android wear
device, the wife doesn’t… lol! I don’t see her getting her phone out as
she rushes out in the mornings! Lol!

Could you use this virtual device? On/Off as the input and presence as the output. Then add the virtual device to your IFTTT channel.