CoRE and Piston Rules Engine, first design steps

iOS 10.1, iphone6

Still broke on the Android. What is the deal ST

@ady624 just wondering, whatā€™s the difference between ā€œchanges toā€ and ā€œisā€ ?? The context I refer to is:

if:

Jimā€™s iPhone

is

present

Compared to:

if:

Jimā€™s iPhone

changes to

present

From my personal point of view and my experiences the past the first one is checking and firing all the time you are present.

The second coding will only be fired at the moment your are arriving at home and the status changes to present.

Hopefully that makes sense to you and helps a little bit.

If the first one is ā€œfiring all the timeā€ the question really is, does it poll the condition or does it receive a call back when the condition changes to the desired state? If the latter, then its probably the same as ā€œchanges to.ā€

Were you able to get ecobee Home/Away working in CoRE ?
thanks

Since October 24, 2016, ST has used 43.6 MB of cell data and 282 MB on Wi-Fi.

7.0MB of cellular data in the last 37 hours. Thatā€™s an average of 4.5MB of celular data per day, though itā€™s early to look at averages, and the only time it should be using cellular is while I am driving to work and back, got wifi otherwiseā€¦total cellular usage over last 37 hours is 70.1MB

That seems like a lot to me, and in line with what Iā€™ve seen. Unless using video streaming, all it should be sending is a relatively small amount of data with multiple on/off/level values basically. I wonder if itā€™s not cache all the icons and such as much as it should be? I know they stated a number of updates back that caching was improved, but I still donā€™t believe itā€™s keeping it all local.

I have a 100Mb allowance a month on cell so I keep the app blocked in my firewall unless I need it. SMS is free to me so itā€™s a better alternative for alerting. Ironically it costs ST to send them! :slight_smile: (pretty sure it does at least)

I just edited some pistons without any problems. The last one I had to change seems to be crashed. Now I canā€™t open it again. If I try to open one of my piston I get the error message ā€œYou are not authorized to perform the requested operationā€. I canā€™t edit or remove the piston. All other pistons are working fine and I can edit or create new ones.

Any ideas what I can do to delete the corrupted piston?

Thanks in advance!

Is it possible to include variables as text in a notification or SMS in order to get richer information delivered? This isnā€™t quite a complete piston, but for example, Iā€™d like the notification to tell me WHY itā€™s recommending I close my windows:

Yes, you can include variables in your notifications.

Thanks! I must have futzed something up the first time I tried.

So I was wondering if anyone knows if the following exists/possible.

For my chicken coop I had to remove the door sensor because for some reason when the chickens would walk past it, it would register as closed then it throws my whole Piston into a fit because it thinks the door is closed and then it turns on the motor and opens it and yada yada. So instead I added a variable to the piston and it sets it to false in the morning when it opens it and then sets it to true at night when it closes the door.

So here is what I would like to do. Does a virtual door sensor exist?

If it does exist have the virtual door sensor status reflect the variable. Currently its a local variable just for that piston but I can always delete that variable and change it to a global one so it can work across the board. If anyone knows how to do this please let me know. Thanks.

You can create a virtual device in the IDE and for the type use Simulated Contact Sensor, if thatā€™s what youā€™re asking :slight_smile: Or just create a global variable like you said.

1 Like

I bet this would do exactly what you needā€¦

1 Like

Thank you both @eibyer and @bamarayne I ended up creating the simulated contact sensor and then created an Or-If piston using the global variable. So I have DoorStatusGlobal and the piston says if its True set the contact sensor to close Or If DoorStatusGlobal is false then set it to open. Simulated it and worked like a champ. Thank you both for your help. Iā€™m starting to venture into the advanced section a little more with CORE :slight_smile: and with Ask Alexa it will be nice to find out the status of the door to ensure my piston did run. Of course it doesnā€™t mean the door is actually closed but will be nice.

1 Like

@ady624 no idea or info how I can delete a corrupted piston? Any debugging mode or the IDE which could help? Any ideas are very appreciated. I could pause the piston using the dashboard but not sure if it is really paused or why I have no access to the piston to delete it.

Thanks

Look in the IDE under Locations, Youā€™ll see Edit on the right hand side, scroll down and find your piston and then click Uninstall. See if that helps.

1 Like

Yeah, what @eibyer said :wink:

1 Like