CoRE and Piston Rules Engine, first design steps

I see… let me see what I can do.

Thanks! Also was it intentional for the “Interaction” option to only be available in expert mode? I just thought I was losing my mind when I couldn’t find it.

Yeah. I’ll lay down a few options, planning on making three levels: basic user, power user and expert. We’ll probably discuss what feature goes for which level. Or maybe there should only be two levels, I don’t know. Ideas, anyone?

I’ve been wanting to play with the polling feature for awhile now.

How many user modes should CoRE have?

• 1 (craziness)
  • 2 (normal or expert)
  • 3 (basic, power or expert)

0 voters

@ady624 almost certainly knows this, but RM had a “set level per mode” functionality, where you could choose one or more of your modes and then specify a level for each. That seemed to work for a lot of people.

@chickwebb You can add multiple actions and restrict each action per mode.

Okay, checking in here to see how progress has been. I haven’t checked this thread in a while. What’s new? I scrolled through a few hundred comments and I see a lot of similar screenshots of a new app or something.

Can someone throw me an update on what I’ve been missing?

I just confirmed that using the ‘Send Push Notification’ will hit everyone in the contact book. That works for my specific use but it would be nice to have the option to select recipients in the future :slight_smile:

I actually used this functionality in RM but it made my modes become crazy because I had so many.

Examples:

1. Home - Morning

2. Home - Day

3. Home - Evening

4. Home - Night

Then times that by 2 for Away and Guest scenarios. I’m actually thinking about using a piston to set a global variable for the time of day information. Then using the variable in my conditions along with mode some times for the different scenarios. This make the building of pistons easier because of the separation of mode and time of day. By the way I’ve been meaning to ask, what’s the difference in Location Mode and Mode when selecting a capability?

None. Aliases.

You could do what I do and have a matrix of modes rather than an one-dimensional array. I have “Home/Away”, and “Morning/Day/Evening/Night”, which makes things a little simpler.

@ady624 is right, of course, about the use of multiple actions with restrictions as an alternative mechanism. But it’s not going to be any easier to do what you want to do. In fact, depending on how many devices/modes you have, it could mean a lot of extra tapping (compared to RM) to get it all set up. As an advocate for improved user experiences I would respectfully suggest that is not a Good Thing™.

1 Like

Actually, I did manage the same amount of modes, but using virtual switches. I use modes for day, morning, evening and sleep (night), and then have virtual switches to overview the away/present and guest.

With CoRE, I’m trying to use one or two pistons for the same result, but without virtual switches.

You get the flexibility of doing anything, not just level. You only do the “tapping” once, not every day.

Can you elaborate on this matrix thing? How is that any different then what I’m doing? I’m always up for learning something different.

As for improved UX, I believe that’s the goal of the different user modes. But correct me if I’m wrong @ady624. If so hopefully that will help satisfy your concerns.

Agree, anyway to make it a link rather than the full url? That would allow for it to be much bigger in the space

Rick

Adrian,

It was mentioned last week if I recall that when trying to enter variables, data types, numeric values… I generally have to make the selection twice. For instance, select set variable, select data type select anything… select done, on the next (saved screen), the data type doesn’t show up, I have to select data type again and this time, it stays. Happens like 98% of the time. Didn’t seem to be so regular earlier on in the dev cycle. I see the same thing when entering numbers in data/time offsets… Not sure if it’s an Android thing or not

Rick

Adrian,

Maybe you can spot something here. I have a Simple Piston to refresh my weather with the future hopes of using the Lux value from it to turn on/off lights but that is for another day

The refresh seems to be random, like yesterday, it only ran once at 5:23PM and Sunday it ran all the way to 8:27PM, well past Sunset however it didn’t even start until 7:36PM

My Solar refresh (trigger every 5 mins) works great and is the same as the Weather refresh (trigger every 15 mins)

Thoughts on why my Solar is showing TOS Action in the Then section and the Weather is not? I don’t see any difference in the Piston

Rick

How would I code this in a piston?
If (lux <1000 and Motion Sensor Active) then turn on "Living Room Light"
Else if motion not active for 5 minutes then turn off "Living Room Light"
Else if “Living Room Light” was turned on by “Switch” and if motion not active for 5 minutes then turn off “Living Room Light”.

Basically, if the light is turned ON either by the motion sensor or the wall switch, it should turn OFF after 5 minutes of no motion detected.

Can you please go to Locations in IDE and check the Event List? Do you see the Refresh APP_COMMANDs there? How about the logs? Enable info only and see if it outputs one line every 5/10 minutes. Then let me know, thanks.

Adrian,

Yes, for instance, today has been very good for weather, so the logs shows the APP_COMMANDs and the live logging showed the next entry when the time came. Yesterday when it wasn’t working, it also doesn’t show in the logs.

It’s interesting that the Solar Refresh has been pretty solid except for 1 day last week it refreshed until about 8:30am then stopped until about 2:00 when it started up again

I’ll continue to keep an eye on things and let you know if it keeps up

Can you explain why 1 Piston as TOC Action and the other doesn’t?

Thanks, Rick