CoRE and Piston Rules Engine, first design steps

Got those of you that disagreed with this… Have you read the multitude of post that go like this…

"Hi! I’m me here and new to Hofer automaton. I saw this great thing at best buy and just had to buy it. So,now I have this v2 hub and 47 light bulbs. I have a couple of questions…

• are these bulbs compatible? I sure hope so. They are Wi-Fi.
  • the hub can’t with batteries, does that mean I never have to plug it in?
  • and finally I put the batteries in the hub and the flashy light came on. I put in all of the light bulbs, but they aren’t in the app? Do I have to add them?
  • and most importantly, how dies the app turn on the bulb when the switch is off?

Sometimes, basic is the best way possible. If it’s going to be a community so and user friendly… We have to make sure that even, "that guy"can use it.

3 Likes

I agree completely with this. The Basic is great in that it lets complete neophytes start with what’s easy to digest. If expert mode isn’t switched on, maybe have basic, but if it is, keep it with simple and hide basic.

Tried, no luck. But the newer pistons are working without any problems. The piston with the initial problem was made right after updating to the latest version, so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I’ve got procedural questions:

1. Does it matter if I break up long lists of switches into two separate actions, in terms of speak of function and not loosing individual switch actions in the process?

I use a piston to essentially shut off everything in the house. One long list of switches to turn off seems to loose one or two in the process. Breaking it into two actions seems to help. Is this real or no?

1. I’ve found that whatever order the switches are in the queue are the way they are executed. I’ve also found that, once a list of switches is established, unchecking and rechecking a switch moves it to the bottom of the list. They start out alphabetical, but the list orders can be modified as stated above. Does this change the order the switches fire in as well. Can someone confirm this?

2. is reordering actions within the app still on the long range plan? Before or after beta?

Thanks!!

1. It won’t hurt. How long is the list when the “lost” switch happens? Where do you see this “lost” thing happening? The logs? Or is it that the physical device does not execute the command - i.e. no visual feedback from it

2. I try to maintain the display order when executing anything.

3. It will be, though perhaps via the dashboard only, during or even after beta. Not while in alpha.

v0.0.064.20160603 - Alpha test version - Introducing the Basic piston. It’s… umm… basic. IF (conditions) THEN (actions). Minor bug fixes.

1 Like

Introducing the Basic piston. It’s… umm… basic.

Hey, sometimes I just want a Bud… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wait, such people don’t exist… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just as a recap, things that remain not working at this time, before this can move to beta:

1. “stays” triggers
  2. ability to trigger on global variable change
  3. ability to trigger on piston evaluation
  4. ability to compare time against variable (as time) and against variable (as datetime). The latter would take the date into consideration as well (so you can say Set variable x = $now + 3 months and then in a condition Time after {x} (as date and time))

Anything I missed?

Also, other than the known UI bugs (mostly Android, it seems), anyone knows of any bug that currently exists?

Thank you

Like this? Master Bath Lights is the virtual switch, MBR Light #1, etc., are the physical ones. Doesn’t seem to work, BTW, whether I use “save to local” or “save to variable”. Lights don’t come on when the virtual switch is turned on. Log below.

Let me try that out.

1. the lights themselves are failing to respond. The long list is 40-50 items long.

2. cool.

3. understandable.

Is capture and restore working?

How about the “I know Algebra” section for variables?

That’s complex. Will have to wait until after beta. That will allow complex algebra stuff, like (5 + {a} * (23 - pow({b}, 2)) + abs({x}) * 4), etc.

1 Like

It should be, @chickwebb reports problems, testing.

That works for me… Can you upgrade to v0.0.064 and retest please? I am on 064… I think there was a little bug I killed between the two…

Here is what I use in CoRE that works great for my solar and weather
If “Time is Between sunrise and sunset” AND Trigger happens every 10 mins, then using weather Refresh

Have fun
Rick

1 Like

Backup and Restore
Any need for a “duplicate” Piston (so you have a decent starting point)
How about being able to reorder things once the Piston is built

Just my $.02
Rick

1 Like

Yeah, how do we close the worm hole into delta quadrant?