[OBSOLETE] Cooper Aspire Scene Controller RFWC5 and RFWC5D Device Handler [beta release]

How did you ‘add it correctly’ This device won’t control non ZWave devices without some intermediary…

What I mean by that is you can’t do direct association with a zigbee device. You need something (some kind of smartapp) that can respond to the button presses and then trigger your zigbee device.

You can do what you want. Webcore or the ST smart lighting ap should work.
Don’t forget to hit the configure scenes tile in the DH and then wait a couple minutes. This is required to set the cooper up to comunicate with the hub.

1 Like

Just wanted to drop and note and say thanks for the great work! New Smartthings user here, and I was able to get the keypad to control everything I needed, and use core to toggle the led indicators!

Thank you for the compliment

Good evening ST experts…

Im new to ST and its experience. I have been using veraedge for years but switching all of my devices over, one at a time… I have total 6 Cooper 5 scenes button keypads, about 30 switches(Inovelli and Zooz’s) including few dimmers and roller shades. Hoping you can please assist me setting one of my cooper 5 scenes keypad with certain scenes so that i can get all others to work with my ST. I have managed to installed the DH as mentioned above but beside that i cannot seems to configure my cooper 5 scene keypad/its button to control any lights via device associations. Not sure what i have done wrong here, perhaps not too sure if i have setup the associations correctly. Could one you fine ST experts please assist me with my keypad/5 button setup that would be greatly appreciated.

for your ref, see attached screen shots and logs from multiple attempts

Thanks in advance!

Vic
Your entries for associations look correct. Clear out everything else if you are not using scene capabilities. They are two different ways of communicating with devices and will not work together on the same device. They can be used together if the commands go to seperate devices. In your setup everything below assocCap5 should be blank. Edit the fields the ST app, hit save, the hit the configure scenes button. You can watch your logs in the IDE as it configures the device. It takes a minute or two. Don’t hit any buttons until its done.

I notice that your IDE reports child devices at the bottom. I’m not sure what that is about. The DH does not support child devices and my setup does not show them. If this does not work for you, we may have to investigate whats up with that.

Thank you Scott for your reply, i have removed everything below assocCap5, also removed(excluded) the kepyad and readded and configured with your DH and re-added the association, yet not success. see attached images …
1st image…only association
2nd image… Logs after hitting the save button/adding association
3rd image… button one pressed(power on) logs…

image1

image2

image3

Vic
Try removing the spaces that follow the commas in your entries.
You must also hit configure scenes after hitting save. This action will actually send the commands to the device that set up the associations.

1 Like

Hi Scott, i tried removing the spaces between the commas and hit the save button via the app and online, still no go. i do not see configure scenes option anywhere for this… im not too sure if its sending/accepting the settings when i hit the save button… see my previous log files…

@sainsworth, Scott I spoke too soon… i was able to find the configure scenes under the app, upon hitting the button, 3 min after, i was able to get one button to work; however other 2 still no go… here are the logs for your reference…

Only button 1 works….logs for this……

4e634f8c-50c9-4aec-bf92-ea4a5710ffe2 9:28:42 PM: debug Parsed IndicatorReport(value: 3) to [‘isStateChange’:false, ‘displayed’:false, ‘linkText’:‘Eaton 5-Scene Keypad’]

4e634f8c-50c9-4aec-bf92-ea4a5710ffe2 9:28:41 PM: debug Parsed IndicatorReport(value: 3) to [[‘name’:‘IndDisplay’, ‘value’:IND 11000, ‘descriptionText’:Indicators: IND 11000, ‘linkText’:device.label Indicators: IND 11000, ‘isStateChange’:true, ‘displayed’:true], [‘name’:Indicator1, ‘value’:‘on’, ‘descriptionText’:null Indicator:1 on, ‘linkText’:null Indicator:1 on, ‘isStateChange’:true, ‘displayed’:true], [‘name’:‘button’, ‘value’:‘pushed’, ‘data’:[‘buttonNumber’:1], ‘descriptionText’:Eaton 5-Scene Keypad button 1 pushed, ‘linkText’:null Button:1 pushed, ‘isStateChange’:true, ‘displayed’:true]]

4e634f8c-50c9-4aec-bf92-ea4a5710ffe2 9:28:40 PM: debug Parsed SceneActivationSet(dimmingDuration: 0, sceneId: 251) to

4e634f8c-50c9-4aec-bf92-ea4a5710ffe2 9:28:40 PM: debug Parsed SceneActivationSet(dimmingDuration: 0, sceneId: 251) to

button 2 (not working)….logs for this……

4e634f8c-50c9-4aec-bf92-ea4a5710ffe2 9:27:52 PM: debug Parsed IndicatorReport(value: 2) to [[‘name’:‘IndDisplay’, ‘value’:IND 01000, ‘descriptionText’:Indicators: IND 01000, ‘linkText’:device.label Indicators: IND 01000, ‘isStateChange’:true, ‘displayed’:true], [‘name’:Indicator2, ‘value’:‘on’, ‘descriptionText’:null Indicator:2 on, ‘linkText’:null Indicator:2 on, ‘isStateChange’:false, ‘displayed’:false], [‘name’:‘button’, ‘value’:‘pushed’, ‘data’:[‘buttonNumber’:2], ‘descriptionText’:Eaton 5-Scene Keypad button 2 pushed, ‘linkText’:null Button:2 pushed, ‘isStateChange’:true, ‘displayed’:true]]

4e634f8c-50c9-4aec-bf92-ea4a5710ffe2 9:27:52 PM: debug Parsed SceneActivationSet(dimmingDuration: 0, sceneId: 252) to

4e634f8c-50c9-4aec-bf92-ea4a5710ffe2 9:27:52 PM: debug Parsed SceneActivationSet(dimmingDuration: 0, sceneId: 252) to

button 3 not working either

Vic
It looks like button one was the only one that was configured to work in your first post. I’m guessing the bad entries have your unit messed up.

You need to just reset the device and then hit the configure scenes again.
To reset the device hold buttons 1 and 5 until all indicators are blinking then press and release the All Off button.

That should put your unit back to square one so it will take the new setup. It would not hurt to double check your entries before hitting configure scenes.

1 Like

Hi Scott, as advised above, I reset the switch also excluded / re included with ST; added the association details and bingo, all worked fine… thank you :pray: so much for your help with this.

However; I have noticed out of the 15 @Inovelli switches, 3 of them works intermittently(cooper will turn them On but would not turn them off and vise versa) 4 don’t even respond to any of buttons/associations commands. I have removed(excused) them from ST and re added them back; yet same issue. They work fine via the ST app. All 15 switches are the same(firmware and etc). Any suggestions…
once again thank you :pray: so much for your help getting my cooper to work. :blush:

I’m not exactly sure what’s going on. It is likely a signal clearity issue. I believe for association to work the devices must be able to communicate directly. I don’t think they can use an intermediary to pass the signal on.

First run a “Repair Z-wave Network” command from your ST app. That will ensure all nodes are talking.

If that does not help start looking at the boxes you have devices in. Are they metal? Is there a concrete wall in the way? Other interference? These things can severely limit the communication ability of the devices.

I have a lamp post in my back yard with a z-wave relay in it. I could not get it to respond to an associated switch 12 feet away because the post was metal. I added a bit of wire to the antena (often curled up under the cover plate of a switch) so I could route it out of the box. Works like a charm.

Hi Scott, apologies for replying late, been busy with kids… i was able to Repair Z-wave Network via ST. did not help. im not too sure if its the signal, because i end taking my cooper near to one of the switch that had issues…still same problem…all of my boxes are plastic, none of them are metal. perhaps its the inovelli switches!!! i will be replacing them with zooz on the weekend and will update you accordingly.

I like the idea of adding a bit of wire to the antenna. i might do that for one our switch on the shed which is about 15 feet away from last z-wave plus switch. where do i connect that pices of wire to on the switch/antenna? could you please provide some pictures/steps?

Thanks!

Vik
Before you go and replace the switches you may want to try turning power off to them to reboot them. It’s worth a try.

Adding length to the antenna will not get you more range (likely will get less). It is only a work around for getting outside of shielding like a metal box. Many z-wave devices have a little pig tail antenna hanging out of them. Some times it is built inside (you are out of luck then). Sometimes it is set into groove that is just behind the switch cover. Once you’ve identified the antenna, solder on some wire long enough route outside the box and have about the same length exposed as the original antenna. If you make it a little long that gives you the option to trim it shorter to tune it. This is all by voodo of course.

Below is an image of a relay switch showing the antenna.

@sainsworth, I have installed this DH and, based on testing with one device, it does seem to be working properly.

However, I am stumped on how to use certain other types of devices on my network. The issue is, as you mentioned here, a Device Network ID should be no longer than two characters. And I have quite a few devices with very long ID’s.

For example:
ID

The first item shown above is the AccuWeather smartapp and the others are Lutron devices which are integrated with the Lutron Caseta (Connect) smartapp.

I have not tried to use these long ID’s in yours or any other apps yet and was curious about how to deal with the issue.

Thank you!

There are two things to understand.

1. The RFWC5 is a zwave device (they have 2 digit device ID’s). All the functionality to use z wave scenes and association will only work with z-wave devices (info configured in the device handler). The advantage using it this way is: a) it is the way the manufacture intended it to work. b) it does not require the hub or internet to control z wave devices. So if I unplug my hub all my critical lights still work. c) It will dim or brighten z wave dimmers.

2. The RFWC5 used with the DH will communicate button pushes to the SmartThings hub. You can therefore use the hub to control other devices. Your RFWC5 will show up as 5 buttons in the SmartLighting app or in WebCore or any other ST app that uses button. You will be able to turn almost any device on and off using an app. You will not be able to adjust a dimmer which requires a button held action. I use Smart Lighting to control a zigbee plug in outlet with a lamp from on of my RFWC5.

I highly recommend using WebCore. There are discussions above in this thread about controlling the indicators on the RFWC5. I use WebCore to make the device work like a 3 way switch in several places. If the state of the light switch changes the associated indicator light on the RFWC5 is changed to match. That way if the light is on it can be turned off and vise versa.

1 Like

@sainsworth,

My RFWC5 is programmed and working though I have one button that seems to have a “memory” for some past setting. I’ve checked all the possible UI’s that I could have used to program Button 5 and have cleared all programming found for that button. But, Button 5 still activates a z-wave outlet and I cannot figure out how to resolve the problem.

Do you have any advice for, presumably, resetting the configuration settings for Button 5?

Thank you!