[OBSOLETE] Cooper Aspire Scene Controller RFWC5 and RFWC5D Device Handler [beta release]

I’ve added, removed and re-added this controller multiple times and every time the number of buttons that respond in the log is different. The most I’ve had is four (buttons 1, 3, 4, 5) but it’s typically one or two and if I remove the controller and add it again the buttons that respond change.

Any idea why all five buttons don’t produce a response?

The only reason I’ve seen that buttons did not respond is when the device is not configured properly (scenes programed).
The DH will program your hub into each scene so you should see output in the logs when the buttons are pushed. Rather than adding and removing the device you should try resetting the device then use the configure scenes button again (watch the logs wait till its done). To reset the device hold buttons 1 and 5 until all indicators are blinking then press and release the all off button.

I do know that early on in my testing I messed up my device’s configuration pretty good and nothing worked. Resetting cleared it up.

The only other thing I can think of is that your V1 hub does not respond the same. I have a V2 hub and 4 RFWC5 units all have been tested and 3 are installed and in daily use. I do use them to control z-wave devices directly. However, I’m also using the button presses to trigger things in WebCore.

If you have no success please send logs and screen shots of your device info screen in the IDE.

I haven’t even configured the buttons, I’ve just added the device and testing to see that button presses appear in the log. I will most likely be using each button to run an automation, not directly control another device but either way I have to make sure that the buttons register a command in the log and at this moment only buttons 1, 3, 4, and 5 do.

I’m surprised your getting even those buttons if you have not run the configure scenes command.

The device will NOT work until you configure it. It will not send command to the hub until it is configured because the hub ID and a scene number must be programmed into the device configuration for each button. This will happen automatically when you push the configure scenes button. You don’t have to enter any device IDs for direct control. This takes a while to execute (minutes) so wait awhile before pressing any buttons.

When done you should see action for each button press in the logs. You should see a set scene command for the first press (indicator light goes on) and a basic off command for the second press (indicator light goes off). Button pushes will be available for the 5 buttons in apps like WebCore or SmartLighting etc.

If its not working do the device reset as described in my last post. Then hit the configure scenes button.

I’m confused. I thought the “Configure Scenes” screen was only if I wanted the buttons to associate with devices or scenes (which I don’t). After adding the device I pressed in sequence button 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and ALL OFF. This was the resulting log:
It doesn’t show that button 2 was pressed.

What am I supposed to enter on the “Configure Scenes” screen if I just want the buttons to activate an automation / app?

666e84d6-21e8-44cc-bed6-929b4f4a1d5e  5:21:38 PM: debug Parsed IndicatorReport(value: 0) to [['name':'IndDisplay', 'value':IND 00000, 'descriptionText':Indicators: IND 00000, 'linkText':device.label Indicators: IND 00000, 'isStateChange':true, 'displayed':true], ['name':Indicator1, 'value':'off', 'descriptionText':null Indicator:1 off, 'linkText':null Indicator:1 off, 'isStateChange':true, 'displayed':true], ['name':'button', 'value':'pushed', 'data':['buttonNumber':1], 'descriptionText':Cooper Aspire Scene Controller RFWC5 RFWC5D button 1 pushed, 'linkText':null Button:1 pushed, 'isStateChange':true, 'displayed':true], ['name':Indicator3, 'value':'off', 'descriptionText':null Indicator:3 off, 'linkText':null Indicator:3 off, 'isStateChange':true, 'displayed':true], ['name':'button', 'value':'pushed', 'data':['buttonNumber':3], 'descriptionText':Cooper Aspire Scene Controller RFWC5 RFWC5D button 3 pushed, 'linkText':null Button:3 pushed, 'isStateChange':true, 'displayed':true], ['name':Indicator4, 'value':'off', 'descriptionText':null Indicator:4 off, 'linkText':null Indicator:4 off, 'isStateChange':true, 'displayed':true], ['name':'button', 'value':'pushed', 'data':['buttonNumber':4], 'descriptionText':Cooper Aspire Scene Controller RFWC5 RFWC5D button 4 pushed, 'linkText':null Button:4 pushed, 'isStateChange':true, 'displayed':true], ['name':Indicator5, 'value':'off', 'descriptionText':null Indicator:5 off, 'linkText':null Indicator:5 off, 'isStateChange':true, 'displayed':true], ['name':'button', 'value':'pushed', 'data':['buttonNumber':5], 'descriptionText':Cooper Aspire Scene Controller RFWC5 RFWC5D button 5 pushed, 'linkText':null Button:5 pushed, 'isStateChange':true, 'displayed':true]]
666e84d6-21e8-44cc-bed6-929b4f4a1d5e  5:21:36 PM: debug Parsed BasicSet(value: 0) to []
666e84d6-21e8-44cc-bed6-929b4f4a1d5e  5:21:36 PM: debug Parsed BasicSet(value: 0) to []
666e84d6-21e8-44cc-bed6-929b4f4a1d5e  5:21:30 PM: debug Parsed SceneActivationSet(dimmingDuration: 0, sceneId: 255) to []
666e84d6-21e8-44cc-bed6-929b4f4a1d5e  5:21:30 PM: debug Parsed IndicatorReport(value: 29) to [['name':'IndDisplay', 'value':IND 10111, 'descriptionText':Indicators: IND 10111, 'linkText':device.label Indicators: IND 10111, 'isStateChange':true, 'displayed':true], ['name':Indicator5, 'value':'on', 'descriptionText':null Indicator:5 on, 'linkText':null Indicator:5 on, 'isStateChange':true, 'displayed':true], ['name':'button', 'value':'pushed', 'data':['buttonNumber':5], 'descriptionText':Cooper Aspire Scene Controller RFWC5 RFWC5D button 5 pushed, 'linkText':null Button:5 pushed, 'isStateChange':true, 'displayed':true]]
666e84d6-21e8-44cc-bed6-929b4f4a1d5e  5:21:29 PM: debug Parsed SceneActivationSet(dimmingDuration: 0, sceneId: 255) to []
666e84d6-21e8-44cc-bed6-929b4f4a1d5e  5:21:28 PM: debug Parsed IndicatorReport(value: 13) to [['name':'IndDisplay', 'value':IND 10110, 'descriptionText':Indicators: IND 10110, 'linkText':device.label Indicators: IND 10110, 'isStateChange':true, 'displayed':true], ['name':Indicator4, 'value':'on', 'descriptionText':null Indicator:4 on, 'linkText':null Indicator:4 on, 'isStateChange':true, 'displayed':true], ['name':'button', 'value':'pushed', 'data':['buttonNumber':4], 'descriptionText':Cooper Aspire Scene Controller RFWC5 RFWC5D button 4 pushed, 'linkText':null Button:4 pushed, 'isStateChange':true, 'displayed':true]]
666e84d6-21e8-44cc-bed6-929b4f4a1d5e  5:21:27 PM: debug Parsed SceneActivationSet(dimmingDuration: 0, sceneId: 254) to []
666e84d6-21e8-44cc-bed6-929b4f4a1d5e  5:21:24 PM: debug Parsed IndicatorReport(value: 5) to [['name':'IndDisplay', 'value':IND 10100, 'descriptionText':Indicators: IND 10100, 'linkText':device.label Indicators: IND 10100, 'isStateChange':true, 'displayed':true], ['name':Indicator3, 'value':'on', 'descriptionText':null Indicator:3 on, 'linkText':null Indicator:3 on, 'isStateChange':true, 'displayed':true], ['name':'button', 'value':'pushed', 'data':['buttonNumber':3], 'descriptionText':Cooper Aspire Scene Controller RFWC5 RFWC5D button 3 pushed, 'linkText':null Button:3 pushed, 'isStateChange':true, 'displayed':true]]
666e84d6-21e8-44cc-bed6-929b4f4a1d5e  5:21:24 PM: debug Parsed SceneActivationSet(dimmingDuration: 0, sceneId: 253) to []
666e84d6-21e8-44cc-bed6-929b4f4a1d5e  5:21:14 PM: debug Parsed IndicatorReport(value: 1) to [['name':'IndDisplay', 'value':IND 10000, 'descriptionText':Indicators: IND 10000, 'linkText':device.label Indicators: IND 10000, 'isStateChange':true, 'displayed':true], ['name':Indicator1, 'value':'on', 'descriptionText':null Indicator:1 on, 'linkText':null Indicator:1 on, 'isStateChange':true, 'displayed':true], ['name':'button', 'value':'pushed', 'data':['buttonNumber':1], 'descriptionText':Cooper Aspire Scene Controller RFWC5 RFWC5D button 1 pushed, 'linkText':null Button:1 pushed, 'isStateChange':true, 'displayed':true], ['name':Indicator4, 'value':'off', 'descriptionText':null Indicator:4 off, 'linkText':null Indicator:4 off, 'isStateChange':true, 'displayed':true], ['name':'button', 'value':'pushed', 'data':['buttonNumber':4], 'descriptionText':Cooper Aspire Scene Controller RFWC5 RFWC5D button 4 pushed, 'linkText':null Button:4 pushed, 'isStateChange':true, 'displayed':true], ['name':Indicator5, 'value':'off', 'descriptionText':null Indicator:5 off, 'linkText':null Indicator:5 off, 'isStateChange':true, 'displayed':true], ['name':'button', 'value':'pushed', 'data':['buttonNumber':5], 'descriptionText':Cooper Aspire Scene Controller RFWC5 RFWC5D button 5 pushed, 'linkText':null Button:5 pushed, 'isStateChange':true, 'displayed':true]]
666e84d6-21e8-44cc-bed6-929b4f4a1d5e  5:21:14 PM: debug Parsed SceneActivationSet(dimmingDuration: 0, sceneId: 251) to []

Enter nothing. Just press the button.

Just wondering if you ever got it working.

Hey guys, I think this device is the perfect use case for an RGB bulb.

Can someone please confirm the following?

1. This scene controller will never turn off the power for the light bulb, it will only execute certain scenes. e.x. 1 - Red, 2 - Blue, 3 Green, 4 - Yellow, 5 - White, 6 - Off routine (turn off bulb, not circuit).
  2. In the event that ST is offline, Buttons 5 & 6 will work as off and on buttons for the circuit.
  3. Can you assign a scene as a “hold” button press?
  4. Do you know of any drawbacks of using this device to control RGB bulbs?

Thanks!

1. understand that it will directly control only Zwave devices. If your
    bulb is zwave capable it should connect. I’ve no experience with colored
    bulbs, but I know the device only sends zwave commands for scene activation
    or basic on off level. For scenes the level(dimmer) is programmed into the
    dimmer itself. I’m not sure how that works with colored bulbs. Assuming it
    is scene capable and you have a way to program the scene it should work.
    If it’s not zwave you will need to use ST to command the light when a
    button is pushed.

2. For zwave devices button 6 will send a basic off command to all devices.
    5 will not. A 2nd push of any button will turn its controlled devices off.
    For other devices use ST to turn devices off when a button is pushed
    (webcore). You can keep the device in sync with the controller by checking
    the indicators with ST and webcore.

3. No. For zwave dimmers a button hold will adjust the level. For other
    devices ST does not have a way to know which button was held.

4. I do not. I have no experience with colored bulbs.

I did. Unfortunately I can’t remember what I did to get it working. I’ve got each button running a Smartlighting app and it works great.

It won’t work as you envision because this device is an older Z wave device sending a specific set of Z wave “scene” commands directly to another Z wave device which is capable of understanding those commands.

There Are a couple of brands of RGBW Z Wave bulbs, but they all use the “color switch” command set which is not supported by the Cooper device.

So good idea, but not one that you can implement with this particular device.

If you want a multibutton device for different color scenes, the battery powered remotec 90 is popular. It sends a message to the smart things hub which then sends a message to the bulbs, so the bulbs can be zwave, zigbee, Wi-Fi, or a mix.

IMG_2378

There are some other multi button devices that also work in the same way and would be worth considering:

But any device which communicates directly to another Z wave device is unlikely to give you color control even of a Z wave RGBW bulb.

Hi all.
I’m looking to purchase a couple of these, just one question. If all the actions are controlled via ST - Core, let’s say Indicator 1 is turned on, if I press the second button on the keypad to turn its indicator on, will that turn indicator 1 off?

The buttons work independently by default. However, if you are using core and want that behavior you can use program it in core or webcore.

Below is a webcore piston that accomplishes it

If I were writing this piston today I would use the “indicatorsallset” command and then just pass the value that turns on the just the light pressed. Simpler and much faster.

I was actually hoping that indicator 1 wouldn’t turn off by turning on button 2. So that indicator 1 turns off only by button 1 press or the all off button.
Can this be done?

That is the default functionality. The buttons are independent. (except button 6 the all off button). It will work the way you describe.

Thanks for the great DH. I think I got my RFWC5 working more or less. Just a quick question, The device wired to the RFWC5, how do I turn that on? Do I use the ST device number for it, or is there an internal number?

The RFWC5 does not support any devices physically connected to it. Wiring
is only to supply power to itself. It will only send zwave commands via
wireless to control other devices.

If you have a light or something you want to control then you will need a
zwave relay or dimmer to control it.

Hey everyone. so i just installed the RFWC5, Im just looking to control 1 cooper dimmer and 4 GE Jasco switches. i’ve added the device handler, then added the controller (which showed up as a “z-wave device”). But im pretty sure i didn’t do something right.I realized that i did not add the device IDs and levels. I am trying to do that now, but I’m not sure where that should be added. I’m sure its just this seciton:

can someone show me how a finished version looks like? I don’t know where in the line(s) i should add the device ID and level (and if i should delete anything thats already there). Again, nothing complex, just want to turn lights on and off in the hallway. 1 switch is a dimmer, and 4 others are just on/off switches. I was expecting to use associations, but i’m fine with scenes if thats a better route for planning ahead.

Apologize in advance if this is wayyy too simple of a question, or if i’m missing something already mentioned in the thread.

Hi
In the IDE please make sure you have published the device handler for
yourself. Then find the device under devices. Click on the device name to
see details of the device. The device type should be Cooper Aspire Scene
Controller RFWC5 RFWC5D. If not then click on the edit button at the
bottom of the page. Change the type by selecting “Cooper Aspire Scene
Controller RFWC5 RFWC5D” from the list. If it is not available you have
not properly installed and published the device handler.

Once have the device set to the correct device type then go to your mobile
device and find the controller under things. You can enter the device IDs
and levels by selecting the gear in the upper right (settings). Follow the
instructions carefully and hit configure scenes.

Your cooper dimmer may need to be configured using scenes rather than by
association. Try association, if that works for you great. If not try
installing the DH I made for the Linear GoControl dimmers. Temporarily
change your dimmers device handler to the one I created. Set up the scene
in your cooper dimmer. Once you have scene set and know it works you can
change the DH back to the original one as scene setting need only be done
once (assuming you don’t want to change it).

I hope this helps.

Scott

Thanks Scott. That does clear things up. I changed the device type and that let me see things in the app to adjust. Just some follow ups.

1. How long before controller “takes” the new associations/scenes? Is it instant? I’m guessing not.
  2. Do you have a link for Linear DH? I may have to go that route.
  3. Does the #6 button have to configured in any way? or will it automatically send the All off command as it was originally intended to?
  4. From what I’m understanding from reading above, the controller will turn off the lights its assigned to when pressed a 2nd time? or does this controller only send the one “on” command out?

thanks again for your help.