[OBSOLETE] Convert Your Wired Alarm System into a SmartThings Smart Home Monitor System for Under $25 with NodeMCU ESP8266 (2017)

Do you normally have the 9v battery involved in the circuit connected to the relay and siren?

No, I just used it to complete the circuit and power the siren for a test. I didn’t want to hook back on my keypads and a zone to test the alarm.

I’m not sure we are on the same page… In my previous relay photo, the red and white wires connected to the screw terminals (bottom wires in photo) are part of the powered siren circuit that gets closed/open depending on the relay state. Are you feeding at least 9v of power into this circuit from your old alarm board? If so, you should be able to simply touch the red and white wires together instead of screwing them into the terminals to test the siren.

(Hopefully I’m making sense.)

Here’s a bad drawing… :slight_smile:

It was my relay that was bad. I changed it for another one I had and it’s working now. Thanks for taking the time out to help with this!

1 Like

I just realized a couple days ago that the status of the sensors connected to my unit aren’t updating or changing state. When I try to view the status in smartapps I get a page saying webpage not available. So it appears it is no longer connect to the hub.
I can see that it is still connected to my router though. Anybody had this issue?

I have 4 Konnected boards that were on the old App and they all stopped reporting to SmartThings or responding to any commands, such as ON/OFF etc. All the boards had to be recently reconfigured with the new Konnected Apps (Connect and Service Manager) since there was no seamless transition between the old and the new Konnected App - I basically had to wipe clean all 24 devices to delete the old Konnected App from SmartThings and then re-install all the 24 devices again. I further had to reconfigure all of these devices in 5 other SmartApps and 8 Routines. It was a bit of a nightmare, however once I invested a whole day to it, the system went online a few days ago and was doing just as well as about the last 6 months. I just noticed today after a couple of days of the rebuilding from ground up that again NONE of the 4 Konnected boards are reporting their status or their sensor state to SmartThings nor are they taking any commands from the SmartThings App. Its the same scary state that led me to go through the Konnected App update in the first place. Is anybody aware of any issues that we should be aware of regarding the Konnected system? Thanks for all your help as usual. You all had started a great product and we are all still excited.

I’ve been having similar issues. It seems to be triggered by running the update command on a board via the old Konnected smartapp - the device reboots, connects to WiFi, then gets stuck on updating with the blue led flashing. I can’t delete individual boards or the smartapp - just get an error.

I think I will have to try removing all of my devices and seeing if I can then remove and update the app, and start from scratch…

If the device is stuck with a rapidly blinking blue light, it’s due to a ota update error. This recently started happening due to some unknown change on Github where the device downloads thr code from. Please see this article to resolve:
https://help.konnected.io/support/solutions/articles/32000022488-ota-update-failure

Hi Sam. The first step to figure out the problem is to determine if it’s an issue with the devices or their connection to SmartThings.

What’s the status of the blue LED on the wifi module? In normal operation, the blue LED should be off and blink once quickly every time a sensor opens or closes. Are the devices connected to your WiFi? Can you access the device status page via the SmartApp? What’s the wifi signal strength shown on the device status page?

This info will help me determine what’s going wrong?

Nate - thanks. Very helpful. Is there a way to manually update the
devices?

Also, is it possible to update the old smartapp to the 2 new ones without
removing all devices?

Unfortunately, no.

1. I thought this kit simply helped one change the Honeywell alarm keypad to a customized Amazon Fire tablet and integrate smartthings?

2. My honeywell alarm circuit boards will no longer be able to call (through a regular POTS line) my current alarm monitoring company if the alarm should trigger? My honeywell cellular backup board will no longer function?

a. If so, can my current alarm monitoring company still monitor this system and how?

if you have a current alarm system and you wish to retain this system so as to stay connected to your monitoring company then you will need to find a way for your alarm to provide output relays for EACH zone you want to intergrate into SmartThings.

you may need to speak to your alarm maintaining company to assist you with this

Nate,
Can I just say awesome! I am ordering now…Thanks.

1 Like

Hey @heythisisnate, is there a DH that will work with the new smartthings app? My devices are allow showing offline in the new app but all ok in the classic app?

Any ideas?

Make sure all the DTH’s are up to date. They should all work (mine do).

Anyone find a monitoring service that will work with this setup? I just contacted Scout and they said that they are discontinued with Smartthings as of 1 June. Seems it should be a market for someone to get into… smarthome monitoring and alerting service…
For info, I’m in Quebec in Canada.
Bouch

Hi @heythisisnate, a brief question:
I’ve been trying to identify the wired sensors on my new home, so I can give this project a try.
There’re 3 or 4 alarm cables (carrying several smaller cables). In one of them, some connections seem to be jointed; so, keeping in mind where each were connected to the panel and after testing them with a multimeter, I’ve got this:

cable 1: Power (+), was connected to ‘POS’ port on alarm panel.
cable 2: Power (-), was connected to a ‘COM’ port on alarm panel.
cable 3: Bedroom PIR sensor signal, was on one of the zones on the panel.
cable 4: Bedroom PIR sensor Ground, was on a ‘COM’ port on the panel.
cable 5: Living room PIR sensor signal, was on one of the zones on the panel.
cable 6: Living room PIR sensor Ground, was on a ‘COM’ port on the panel,
cable 7: Reed switches on Living Room and Kitchen doors, jointed, was on one of the zones on the panel.
cable 8: Reed switches Ground, jointed, was on a ‘COM’ port on the panel.
cable 9: Siren (+), was connected to ‘Siren’ on panel.
cable 10: Siren (-), was connected to a ‘COM’ port on panel.
cable 11: Entrance PIR sensor, was on one of the zones on the panel.

So, let’s say I keep the alarm panel to power the sensors (12v). In this case, cables 1 & 2 go to the panel, and the rest go connected to the nodemcu base in pairs, to a GPIO and ground pins respectively.
The thing is that I don’t have a ‘ground’ cable for the Entrance PIR (cable 11). Better said, after testing for continuity, it seems to be jointed to cable 2… But cable 2 needs to be connected on the panel.

Should I make another Joint before going into the panel, and ground it to the nodemcu? is it ok to share the GND?

Thanks in advance!