[OBSOLETE] Convert Your Wired Alarm System into a SmartThings Smart Home Monitor System for Under $25 with NodeMCU ESP8266 (2017)

A couple companies make wall mounts. None are cheap but if you are looking for something that looks nice it might be worth the $100 to you. I’ve used Maclocks on multiple occasions for customers:

https://www.maclocks.com/space-galaxy-tab-a-enclosure-wall-mount-fits-galaxy-tab-a-models.html

Again, there not cheap but they look decent and usually give enough room to run the power wire behind the device.

Actually setting the passcode on the tablet is a great idea.

The question is can we get SmartThings to add a delay to the trigger? Now that I think about it I’m surprised it’s not there already. Have everyone in here put it in as a suggestion?

Question…

I have noticed that, for whatever reason, one of my boards will lose WiFi connectivity, requiring me to power cycle the board. Is there a way to set up an alert in ST to notify you if a board can’t be communicated with for a period of time?

I don’t think there’s a way to do that right now, but I’m interested in fixing the problem with the board losing wifi connection. Is it only happening to one board consistently? Does the device start broadcasting the konnected-security SSID after this happens?

I’ve had them both go offline once, and more recently one went into AP mode
again. Rebooting it fixed it.

I’ll work on a software fix for this. Ideally they should automatically reconnect without having to reboot as long as your wifi network is still available and the password hasn’t changed. Thanks for reporting the issue.

Nate,

I received my kit and everything looks easy enough to install.

I realized that I have both an outdoor bell, an indoor siren (to scare an intruder), and the keypad that I can set to chime whenever a contact is opened.

Can the 17 Zone Kit accommodate these three components? I know the bell is covered and I guess the bell and indoor siren can be on the same relay – is that right? But can I also connect a separate chime device to beep whenever a contact is opened?

I can test it with the keypad chime for now, but eventually I would replace the two keypads with chimes (hard-wired or wireless).

Would that all work?

Thanks.

You can put the bell and siren on the same relay as long as there’s enough power to power them both. Are these currently connected to the same screw terminals on the alarm panel?

We don’t have an out-of-the-box solution for the door chime yet, but it’s something we’re working on. There are a number of ways to do this with z-wave devices and SmartThings stock apps right now, but I would like to be able to have an officially supported hardwired solution to offer. It’s not ready yet, but stay tuned.

Hello, I would like to know if we can auto disarm when phone is connect to the wifi and auto arm when phone is disconnect to the wifi. Thank you

Yes, automated arming/disarming is a function built in to the SmartThings app based on your mobile device presence. You do this by automating Routines for “Goodbye” and “I’m Back” that arm and disarm the system respectively.

SmartThings uses wifi as well as your phone’s GPS to determine presence. You first need to add your phone (and your family members’ phones) as presence sensor devices to enable this, see: https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/200292279-How-do-I-add-my-phone-as-a-device-

I would like to get Konnected but am perplexed by my existing ADT wiring. It doesn’t look anywhere near as clean as the pictures in the Konnected guide.

Having read the guide, I am trying to figure out what devices I have and how many boards I will need. From the far left in the picture, a few questions:

1. Are the four white wires on the far left all power wires?
  2. What is the black wire next to the right?
  3. Are the next three colored pairs door sensors?
  4. I am having trouble making heads or tails of the subsequent terminals. I see resistors, I see wires, I see wires linked to resistors across terminals. I imagine these are all motion sensors. Am I correct and, if so, how many there are?
  5. What are the colored wires on the far right? Are these alarm wires?
  6. What is the device with four colored cables on the top?
  7. What is the device on the bottom right with cables coming into it?

Any clues you could provide would be helpful. I am mainly trying to ID these zones so I know both how many Konnected boards to buy and how to wire them up. Thanks.

Hey @kenfeyl, it looks like this may be a wireless system (or partially wireless). I believe that the unit on top with 4 wires coming out of it is a wireless receiver. It looks like many of your zone terminals are not connected to any wires. If the system is fully wireless, unfortunately it won’t work with Konnected. Konnected only works with the wired sensors. Is there a wiring diagram on the inside of the panel door? If so, could you send me a photo of that?

Please email me directly at help@konnected.io so we’re not spamming this thread.

I sent a message to Nate with a picture. For all those wondering, there is a wiring diagram in the panel. It’s an ADT Safewatch Pro 3000EN. There are eight zones indicated in the picture, along with a wireless panel.

For those of you who were having problem with wifi dropping and going into AP mode, Nate has released software 2.0.3 to resolve this issue.
Nate had spend a lot of days trying to fix it.

1 Like

I would like to purchase this kits to support the developers behind this. We just moved into a house with DSC PC1500RK 6 zones system installed. I guess this should be supported by this. We are living in Canada. Do you ship to Canada? What’s the shipping fee?

Thanks,
Leo

Hi @leonardoxiao, thanks for your support! Your DSC system is most likely a wired system, so yes it should work. The “PC1500RK” is the model number of your keypad. To make sure, you need to look for your alarm panel (usually in a closet or garage) and make sure it’s wired and not wireless. You should find a bundle of wires coming out of the wall and going into the alarm panel enclosure.

Yes, we have had many satisfied customers in Canada! Shipping to Canada is about $6 USD and it will be delivered by Canada Post.

That’s quick reply, @heythisisnate ! Sure, I will take a look of the alarm panel before placing the order.
One more question if you happen to know: Canada custom sometimes charge duty fees for shipment from US. Did any of your Canadian customers hit by this?

As far as I know, none of my Canadian customers were hit with import duties. I think the chance is small because the declared value is relatively low.

I bought mine a while ago and never gotten a chance to install it. Life for busy. But now I’m thinking of setting it up.

For those who have installed it. How would you handle “Stay” mode like a traditional alarm would?

I just found this post, what a great idea! I was about to buy 2 kits, but I was hoping these could be bridged to my current alarm system? Any chance that is in the works @heythisisnate ? (yes i still want to keep my alarm company b/c while at work we sometimes I dont have access to the phones etc so if there is ever an emergency I would like someone to call police/fire). Also I dont want my fire on smart things just sensors. I really want to have my door sensors attached to smart things for extra security in the house as well (alert me when doors open, as of right now just the keypad light goes out). I keep my eye on this company! Good work!