[OBSOLETE] Convert Your Wired Alarm System into a SmartThings Smart Home Monitor System for Under $25 with NodeMCU ESP8266 (2017)

Can you use those alarm controlled sensors to trigger a let’s say zwave switch?

So alarm door sensor opens and turns on your home lights?

I like this solution to avoid wireless door contact in our new home build design.

I’m a little confused about what you’re asking, but any combination of things can be triggered from a door opening or alarm going off through core/webcore.

eg if front door opens between 9pm-6am and entryway lights are off, then turn entryway and kitchen lights on.

Yes.

What this NodeMCU solution does is make all the wired sensors from your alarm panel recognizable to SmartThings. It will add those sensors/alarm into SmartThings app. Then, you can use rules engine like CoRE to trigger the zwave switch.

We have a house with 16 zones and some of the zones are in a carriage house 150ft from the house and is wired back to our panel. This looks like a great way to use the existing wiring without going the DSC rout.
Jut a couple of questions

1. I have smoke and heat detectors that are two wire will these work? I thought I read somewhere that the two wire will not work.

2. I am interested in three keypads I understand iris work with ST but I will need a delay for entry and exit. Also is there any other solution rather than Iris keypads?

I’ll just speak to the fire alarms - I’m skeptical at this point that alarm integrations are working with this project. Every other device works, but I went this route for the smoke detectors: Integrating Kidde Smoke / CO Sensors into SmartThings Properly

Cheap and effective, identify your detector brand, find the appropriate relay, connect as diy, rest easy.

Hi @remops,

I would consider the smoke detector support “experimental” at best. You most likely need some sort of relay to make it work. I plan on doing some experimentation with a few different smoke detectors and will try to make it work. Do you know what brand/model your smoke detectors are and where I could buy one to test with?

@heythisisnatei just stumbled across this thread and it has intrigued me. I have a Texecom alarm system and have the wifi module built into the panel. I can access my alarm from the Texecom iOS app. Is there any way to leverage this wifi module with your code so I can control from ST?
Thanks

No, James. Sorry, this project is for connecting wired contact sensors and motion sensors to SmartThings. I does not integrate with any other WiFi enabled alarm systems or products.

1 Like

No problem. Good luck with it. Thanks

Hi, are you able to confirm the kit will work with this:
http://static.interlogix.com/library/I-NX4-IM%20REV%20N%20Installation%20Manual.pdf

@nibor this looks like a typical wired alarm panel system. Yes, it should work if your wired sensors going to your doors/windows and motion sensors are intact. Just to be clear, the kit doesn’t interact with your old Interlogix panel, it just re-uses the sensors already wired in your wall. You will not be able to use the old alarm panel anymore if you install this.

Great news. Yep only have motion sensors connected and still working.

Understand the panel will be unusable but controlled via phone is the plan
:slight_smile:

Is this reversible down the track if I move?

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Yes, it’s reversible. Just take a picture of how it’s currently wired up and re-do it when needed.

Will this work with a MOOSE security system?

Hi @Garry461, the brand of the security system really doesn’t matter. As long as your home is wired with standard contact sensors and/or motion sensors, and you can access the wiring, it will work. I’m not familiar with a MOOSE system to know whether or not it uses wired sensors, but you should be able to easily find out by taking a look in your security panel closet.

I have implemented this using my old Moose system and it works great. As
stated, doesn’t really matter the existing home security system since this
replaces it.

thanks for the great work on this Nate

Hey-- would this board work? https://www.amazon.com/FICBOX-ESP8266-NodeMcu-Testing-Breadboard/dp/B016W46I9E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499692652&sr=8-1&keywords=NodeMCU+with+base

the one listed with the board goes to a dead amazon link

This Amica board will work and fits in a standard breadboard, but is too narrow to use with the LoLin base board.

If you want the LoLin base board, buy the LoLin NodeMCU + the LoLin base board. These are the best links I could find on Amazon with Prime Shipping. If you have time, you can order from China via eBay and save some money. I recommend buying 2 of everything to have a lab system and a production system. The lab system can also be your spare parts should you have a failure on the production system.

Note: The LoLin v3 NodeMCU boards are too wide for a standard breadboard, thus the base board is a very nice option to use these larger boards. The LoLin and The Amica based boards both use the same ESP8266-12e processor and expose the same number of GPIO pins.

I used this a couple of months ago and it seems to still be available

Thanks
What would you recommend with an integrated breadboard? I don’t typically do hardware work
Thanks
Josh