Convert a Battery-powered Sensor to Mains?

Okay, I have Konnected for my wired home system and it works (though I’m finding that it generally about a second or two slower to report status than my wireless devices).

However, I have a few places I’d like to add sensors, but I’m really against adding more devices that need batteries, ESPECIALLY those that are outdoors. I tried that last winter and those sensors just ATE batteries. I then realized that in these places I have easy access to power outlets right next to where sensors can go.

How hard would it be to take a wireless sensor and power it via an outlet with a power converter between the two? Has anyone done this?

I’ve wired many of my devices. Here’s a link:

2 Likes

Thanks so much. Perfect info.

1 Like

Here is another option:

Of this one:

Lots of people have done this in lots of different ways.

Check the quick browse lists in the community – created wiki, look down near the bottom of that page for the “project reports” section, and then choose the list for “power” projects. That should turn up most of the threads discussing various options for converting from battery powered to mains. :sunglasses:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section