Control lights based on the time of day

Hello,

I have set up my lights in my room to be cooler and brighter during the day, but warmer and softer at night to help me fall asleep faster. However, as of right now, this only works when I turn the lights on.
So, the lights get turned on, ST checks the time of day and applies the corresponding brightness and temperature levels.

However, if the light is on and the time changes from one “zone” to another, it doesn’t automatically change the lights settings without me physically turning it off and then back on. Is there a way to make so that I don’t have to do that, and it just updates the light settings to whatever it needs to be based on time?

Thank you in advance!

You have to do another automation where the IF trigger is the exact time of the start of the night mode period of the lights.

IF:

time = xx

THEN:

Set light to level and color temperature needed

2 Likes

@Mariano_Colmenarejo is right. One thing you should add to the IF side is a precondition that the light is ON. That way it doesn’t turn the light on at that time every day if its off.

3 Likes

You are absolutely right, that precondition is necessary

Wouldn’t the Circadian option available with some drivers address this?

1 Like

I’ve done it like this adding the condition that the light is on and it seems to work flawlessly, thank you ^^ Though it’s annoying to have six different routines just to do basically the same thing at three different time frames of the day

3 Likes

You can also change Level and light Temperature when light is off. That way if someone turns light manually it would be set on specific Level and Light Temperature.

Mariano has a driver for the zigbee light bulbs that does have some Circadian Light capabilities, but light needs to be on.

2 Likes

The circadian function works by adjusting the level and color temperature every 10 minutes when it is on between 6 am and 6 pm.

When it is off and the time is between 6 am and 6 pm, it waits for it to turn on and calculates the level and color temperature for that instant of day.

If it is not within that period, it turns on with the last values of level and color temperature that worked

1 Like

Hello and I apologize in advance for my question as I am very new to Smartthings and using your drivers to control my Halo RL56 Zigbee lights with Inovelli Blue series switch/dimmer.

I’m very interested in how to take full advantage of the circadian rhythm settings but am a bit confused if this is done solely via your driver settings or if I need to set up a routine or both. My goal is to have the lights adjust dynamically throughout the day if the lights are on. If they are off and I turn them on, I’d like for them to quickly adjust temp based up the current time of day.

Would you (or anyone else here) be able or willing to help me set this up with the correct driver settings and/or routine parameters? I’ve searched around for a step-by-step instructions but can’t seem to find anything relevant to my setup.

Thanks in advance!

Hi @kecusc

Are you using Inovelli dimmers to turn on and off the Halo RL56?

Thanks for the reply! I am using the switch as well as Alexa voice commands.

I don’t know if I understand well what you want to do.

The Zigbee Light Multifunction Mc controller has the circadian light function, but if the bulb turns it on and off with a physical switch or dimmer then this function would not work since the switch does not send the on and off command, what it does is remove and turn on the bulb power

Sorry if I’m confusing you, as I said I’m pretty new to this stuff. The Inovelli switch should maintain power to the smart bulbs and therefore all the previous settings, correct?

Basically, what I’m hoping for is if the lights are on throughout the day they would adjust temp automatically by time of day. If the lights are off via the smart switch and then turned on, I’m hoping they will quickly adjust/align to the correct circadian rhythm.

I hope this makes sense. I do see that the driver has circadian settings, but I also see circadian settings in the Routines. I just don’t know how to best make it work.

Your routine uses a group of lights in which you will have activated the smartthings circadian function.
This feature appears to work automatically from sunrise to sunset.

In your routine you have to remove the time of day precondition or at least you must uncheck the option run only once a day.

This circadian function runs in the cloud and the bulbs should be powered by the dimmer before the On command reaches the kitchen light group.

Try to modify the part of then part of routine by delaying about 2 seconds the action of turning “on” and activating the circadian function, to wait for the light bulbs to become energized.

Very helpful! Thank you! I wasn’t sure if I needed to set up a Routine to get Circadian lighting working or just adjust the settings from your driver. I updated the Routine as you recommended (at least I think I did). See the screen shot if the Routine and driver settings below. I appreciate your help and any other change recommendations I need to make.

If you use the smartthings circadian feature for groups of lights, you don’t need any adjustments to the bulb preferences for that feature.

Just keep in mind if you have limited color temperature or level

The settings are made in the smartthing cloud and sends commands to adjust the color temperature and brightness level to the time of day, as if it were a smart App

Hi again, I don’t think the routine is going to work for my application. I have 10 kitchen lights, all Zigbee and all using Mariano’s driver. They are bound to the smart switch with Zigbee binding and all turn on simultaneously and without delay. However, if I use a routine to do what the original poster was trying to accomplish (same as me by the way) the lights all change temp/brightness one at a time vs all at once.

I’m thinking that Mariano’s driver sounds like it is supposed to accomplish what I want which is to have them auto adjust temp/brightness throughout the day when on and when off they will adjust to the correct state when switched on.

What settings in the driver do I need to make to accomplish this? Is it automatic by installing the driver. If so, it doesn’t seem to be adjusting at all. I’ve removed the routine and have Circadian checked on each individual light driver as shown in the pic below.

Thanks in advance for the help!