Control Hue with a set of dimmers

Use dimmers to set hue, saturation and brightness of lights. Requires 1+ color light and 1-3 dimmers.

Works great with virtual dimmers.

Get the smart app here: Dim-a-Hue.groovy.

4 Likes

looks cool, but does this mean you need to use 3 $50 dimmers to control the lights. that seems pretty expensive to me.

You could use 3 $40 dimmers. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sometimes it’s absolutely necessary to have a wall mounted hardware controller. Sometime virtual controller is sufficient (virtual dimmers are cheap).

Or you can use just one dimmer! With one mounted dimmer you can adjust the hue and turn it on/off.

I agree that a wall mounted controller is important to have a system guest and wife friendly.

I just picked up three displays from this indegogo campaign that act as self contained touch screen controllers.

http://wiki.iteadstudio.com/Nextion_HMI_Solution
http://blog.atmel.com/2015/04/28/nextion-is-a-high-performance-tft-display-for-your-next-project/

paired with an arduino or, in my case, a RaspberryPi2, it can give you a full featured, multi page, touch screen interface. at something more like $60 bucks total.

2 Likes

@steve_ledridge

What are the specifics on this? Are you building this to be integrated into your SmartThings ecosystem?

Just be aware these are resistive touch screens, not capacitive. Different feel, image not as sharp, no multi touch. If you ever played a Nintendo DS, that’s resistive touch.

The difference would be particularly noticeable for sliders and spinners, which might be relevant for dimmer controls.

I do not even think the units support sliders and such. The example I am working on is just simple buttons and for things like color sliders I am just using Up and Down arrow buttons with a gauge displaying the location. My initial intent is to emulate an alarm keypad and add it HA pages as I go.

The thing i do like is the ability to define all of the look and feel in a designer app and download it to the display and then the arduino or raspberry just communicates to it with a simple UART interface.

1 Like

Yea i’d probably go with cheapo androids and smarttiles.click

Just my thoughts. You still need to drive those displays with something.

Yeah, me to. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like