Connecting VRCZ4-MRZ - not to be confused with VRCS (DTH in post 20)

Next step should be to open the SmartThings Classic mobile app, choose the Automation icon at bottom (third from right), choose SmartApps (right side on top submenu), then Add a SmartApp (at the bottom of the list). and at the bottom of that list will be My Apps – under here, you should see Leviton VRCZ4-M0Z Switch Mapper, and once you open it, you’ll need to specify the particular VRCZ4 you want to set up, what device each button should control (and also its LED color when on), and what this particular instance of the SmartApp should be named in your list of configured SmartApps (typically, you’ll name it for the physical-device location).

Give this a go, and let us know how it goes…

Thanks mpk… So far so good. I opened the Leviton VRCZ4-M0Z Switch Mapper on my mobile App but I don’t see any VRCZ4s to set up. I assume that I probably need to include the VCRZ4s as Z-Wave devices in the Smarthings App. Are there any further instructions on how to do that. My VCRZ4s are already mounted and powered but they’ve never been used in Smartthings . They were used previously with HomeSeer and I lost the functionality when I switched to Smartthings.

Any information on how to include the VCRZ4s into Smartthings would be appreciated.

Thanks again for all the help so far…

Believe it or not, I was able to use your DH and SMARTAPP as is on a VRCS4. Everything worked (including light control) except for the dimming logic.

When I tried to make a change, I got the switch into an interesting state. The switch no longer: gives me scene events for scenes 5,6,7,8 — they all report 1,2,3,4 presses and the lights don’t work.

Interesting, that I have another VRCS4 unit that I was still using your original driver and it works fine.

Before I do a Factory Reset, I was wondering if you could give me some help in perhaps one more set of initialization commands that I may want to set when I configure the switch to clear this condition.

Just an ask.

Thanks

Hi – happy to help, but I’m racing a software-release deadline for the next few hours. Later tonight, perhaps?

Well, I figured it out.

1. I started with your VRCZ4-MRZ driver and used it on a VRCS4-M0Z (no load) switch.
  2. It almost worked right off the bat, I will have to see what I changed.
  3. Your LEDs magically worked. They only went wonky one time and I found that the old power cycle fixed the issue.
  4. I set up a simple dimming (Low, Medium, High) and it worked well. I have Leviton DZ6HD Zwave Plus with new firmware but they get very wonky if too many setLevel commands are sent to them (again a power cycle).

How they work?

• Like a Zone controller. Press Once for on, and again for off. The LED on the switch follows the power setting.
  • I like the Scene Controllers because the switch plastic seems more durable than the VRCZ4 units.
  • I am very happy.

Will post the driver and smart app when I clean it up. Been a long time since I am writing code.

Thanks,

Hope your project went well.

1 Like

I have added the device handler and smartap to Smartthings.

Now I need to pair my 6 VRCZ4s with Smartthings. I tried using the same instructions I used when I first paired the VRCZ4s with Homeseer but that didn’t work with Smartthings.

Does anyone have the instructions for pairing the VCRZ4s with Smartthings or a link to the instructions?

Thank you in advance - much appreciated!

I’m about to try to repair my VRCZ4s with Hubitat, so I’ll likely have to revisit the procedure I used to pair them with SmartThings in the first place (which was not totally straightforward, as best I can recall).

Will let you know what I (re)discover in the process

Sorry for the late reply, @harobinson – glad to hear you got it all working.

FWIW, I’ve (very) occasionally had the LEDs go wonky on me as well. As for you, a power-cycle (or sometimes, just an extended wait) brought things back into line.

Curious that you’re only able to get three-level dimming to work. That’s a function of the particular devices you’re controlling, you say?

I have 6 VCRZ4s already installed and powered. I have also pasted and published the SmartApp and DTH in my IDE site.

I believe the next step is to pair the VCRZ4s to Smartthings. That is where I’m stuck…Do you have a procedure for this? If so, could you please post it? I’m really anxious to get my VCRZ4s working again. Much appreciated.

Can you please post the code you wrote, havent had time to work on what you’ve done, and I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

I was formerly a big fan of Leviton products, but no more. Based on above comments from users, such as : “I will say that this remains more mysterious and opaque than it ought to be (no thanks to Leviton),” this reputable firm should be ashamed. Seeking a simple way to make 4-button VRCZ4-MRZ and M0Z controllers operate with ST and simple Leviton Z-wave light dimmers and switches (for fans) without spending the rest of my life writing code, testing, degugging, repeating, etc.? There’s nothing unique about my installation. Even if users finally get everything working, the classic ST app is going away and there’s no telling whether the replacement app (or future updates) will present new sets of problems for existing and new systems. I seek to simply replace old Leviton 4-button X10 (8-function on-off or dim) controllers and X10 Pro switches with Leviton Z-wave equivalents (that are sold presently by Gordon Electric and others late in 2020, BTW.) Installation and required updates appear to have “evolved” into an unreasonably complicated mess, compared to turning a few physical dials to setup existing equivalent Leviton X10 devices 20-30 years ago. (I’ve been installing X10/BSR since 1982, I believe, and few devices have failed!) Isn’t there a way to provide an efficient, reliable installation using MRZ and M0Z Leviton devices? Having I spent thousands to purchase products by this reputable manufacturer, I’m begging for a working solution from competent users.

I can’t blame Leviton for this. Their devices meet the Z wave standard, and they do work fine with Zwave controllers from other brands.

The issue is that smartthings is a multi protocol platform and they have not implemented all of the optional Z wave command sets. They don’t support Z wave scenes (they have their own type of scenes which can handle devices of multiple protocols), they don’t offer any simple way of setting up z wave associations, they don’t even handle central scene commands natively.

The Leviton devices work fine with their own controller and work fine with most of the other Z wave only controllers.

I don’t see how they are responsible for meeting the idiosyncrasies of a multi protocol platform with its own architecture. They might choose to do that if they wanted to, but I don’t fault them for not doing it. They certainly aren’t the only ones. (Fibaro, Sunricher, and even GE/Jasco all run into the same issues with SmartThings.)

People have been asking for a local wallmount keypad/Scene controller that would be natively supported by smartthings since 2014, and they’ve always said they would look into it, but as of yet there isn’t one. Everything that has been done relies on custom code.

With regard to Leviton devices specifically, for some people the easiest thing would be to get a different Z wave hub, use it to control the Leviton devices, and add it as a secondary controller to a smartthings set up. That doesn’t let you use a Leviton device to control, say, zigbee lights, but then Leviton has never promised that. It would let you use the full Z wave capabilities of the Leviton devices, by choosing a hub that supports the full Z wave capabilities of the third-party standard.

I realize none of that addresses your frustration, and it’s a frustration that I myself have been expressing for five years now. First with local scenes and then with central scenes. at one point I even suggested that the smartthings app colorcode the protocols for each device so that if there were some which used protocol-specific features it would be easy for customers to tell which other devices could be used with those features.

But the smartthings design philosophy continues to be that The protocol should be largely invisible to the user, and therefore some advanced device features are not supported.

Wow JD, your kind reply is both quick and thorough; many thanks. I’m in no way tied to ST and already have other Z-wave controllers including Universal, possibly Raspberry Pi, and also local manual Z-wave controllers. I also have a Leviton USB RF stick. My investment is large but need incremental results sometime before I die! I’m happy to dump ST and purchase a different controller or start over with new terminal devices, but also seek to maximize connectivity with devices from other manufacturers… in this case Aeotec Z-wave sensors and Intermatic Z-Wave local controllers (to replace existing X10 controllers by each bedside), Leviton IR remotes that commnicate with MRZs, Harmony remotes, etc.

Hoped that the Z-wave “standard” ensures interoperability, but learned long ago that this is untrue. Seems that such installation difficulties explain why Z-wave is going nowhere in terms of overall HA market share.

Based on your fine input, what controller would your recommend? FYI my only existing Zigbee device is a Philips Hue Lightstrip formerly controlled by a simple sunrise-to-sunset lighting program using the basic Lightbow app on my iPhone (that I also paid for. Latest Lightbow version crashes upon keypress on my iPhone X and developer won’t respond or remedy.) With the right controller, a Z-wave switch (or MRZ button) might control a relay or digital input to a separate Zigbee controller (Universal?) that contains the lighting program, without the need for the Z-wave controller to communicate with Zigbee directly. Had hoped that ST might accomplish this task via Zigbee, so alternate methodology seems Rube Goldberg.

Where do I begin, first connect the Leviton MRZ/M0Z with Z-wave terminal devices via the USB stick, perhaps? Or should the MRZ/M0Zs send ON/OFF signals to a primary controller programmed to execute scenes, etc. with terminal devices (preferred if latency is acceptable)? How are secondary (or primary) controllers and devices by other manufacturers (e.g. Aeotec sensors) integrated later? It would be nice if the primary Z-wave controller could communicate with X10 devices (transmit and receive) to simplify transition. Quite a requirements list! Sorry for the mouthful of questions; many thanks.
Bob

I’d be glad to help, but I think we should start a new thread for this under projects and that way we can get into all the details of your specific use cases without taking this thread off topic. :sunglasses:

You can just copy your previous post and start a new thread in the following section of the forum and I’ll join you there. It may not be until tomorrow, though, I’m feeling tired now. but others may join in as well.

https://community.smartthings.com/c/Wiki/projects-stories/10

Will do. Thanks again. Bob