Confused on GE 3-Way Switch

I have the GE toggle switch and the add-on so I can install them in a 3-way circuit. I’ve done a few single switch, but this is only my second 3-way switch. The previous install had a neutral in each box, but this one only has a neutral in the main box. I tried to map out the wires and I have a 14/3 coming from the breaker, another 14/3 going to the secondary switch and a 14/2 going to the light.

I’m not seeing everything that has to be connected based on the way things are currently connected.

GE Primary Switch
Line = Red (from black screw)
Neutral = White/Blue (pigtail from bundle)
Traveler = Red (from copper screw)
Load - ???

GE Add-on Switch
Load = Black (from black screw)
Neutral = ???

Start here ( The topic title is a clickable link)

What @JDRoberts said.

Presuming that your light is in the middle, you are going to have to reconfigure the wiring at the light to route a neutral to the switch that doesn’t have one. The GE switch only needs one traveler to communicate, so you’ll use the other one to send the neutral. Look for explanations by @ritchierich.

1 Like

Sounds like the wiring was done at the light fixture versus the switches. I ran into the rams problem and got some help in this thread. Check it out, it’s pretty simple to “fix”. I’ve run into it one other time at my brother in laws house last month and had to do the same thing. @ritchierich was the MVP that solved it for me!

1 Like

I had to change my thinking and stop looking at the aux switches as switches. The main switch (4 connectable posts) controls the power to the light. The others merely tell the main switch to make a change. Consequently, the aux only have a neutral and a runner (sometimes pink.) My rewiring required me to run the common all the way to the light, bypassing the aux switch so that only the main had powered control of the light. Mine was a 4-way but it is the same logic. Hope that helps.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the help. All of the info help me visualize what was needed. The black wire running from the 14/3 connecting both switches was capped on each end and the remaining 2 black wires where connected to the load. The white wire was bundled together to make the neutral run to the other switch as well.

GE Primary Switch
Line = Red (from black screw)
Neutral = White/Blue (pigtail from bundle)
Load - Black (2 from bundle, not including black wire running to other switch)

GE Add-on Switch
Neutral = White/Blue (from copper screw