SmartThings Community

Concerns about Direction of Developer Workspace

I tried this some time back. I use a dyndns service to know my home IP address. But if I tried to enter ****.dyndns.org in the ST development it kept telling me it was an invalid IP address. Maybe that’s been fixed by now. I haven’t tried it lately.

That’s all very well but what if I don’t want to run it at home on a pi? Will I still be able to take a smartapp created by a developer and run it in the ST cloud? Or will our alternative be a reliance on 3rd party servers managed by the developers of new apps?

What about all our existing automations on apps like webCoRE which are just going to disappear overnight?

What about device handlers? Will all my devices suddenly stop working unless someone has created a new API device handler before the switchover?

The default device handlers ST currently provide don’t even expose the most basic of functions such as parameter settings… if we’re going back to that level of control it’ll be a sad day for us all!

We, the community, and in particular the awesome community developers, made ST great! Is ST seriously going to throw hundreds and thousands of hours of community developer work in the bin? And break everyone’s existing setups?

Surely a legacy system could be retained, at least for existing users? And we can slowly switch over when we see things are ready for our individual device collections.

7 Likes

I agree with @RobinWinbourne. Something needs to be done to maintain accessibility to smartapps (Webcore and others) and custom DTH’s or I’m out!

4 Likes

And those of us not using a Raspberry Pi? What then?

1 Like

I am a pretty new ST-user and I must say I’m concerned about what I have read here. The reason I bought ST is because of all different custom device handlers. Also, I am using webcore for all my automations.

Will my user experience be affected? Will my devices and automations stop working or have I missed something?

1 Like

Absolutely Not.

Raspberry pi was just one example. When you publish code via the IDE today it’s being “hosted” by someone (SmartThings). We need to stop looking at this through the lenses of how this worked in the past. For the non-coders, we are trying to build a platform that does not force you to use code. For the developers we are trying to build a platform that will allow you reach more people in a published and controlled way without needing to pass around the source code.

And lastly, No. We aren’t throwing anything in the bin overnight. There is going to be a long transition period before all of the new stuff is even fully in “production”. Then there will be some time while we main both the new system and legacy systems.

2 Likes

It is required to be HTTPS

I just opened another thread about this problem of “https requirement” and the complexity of the new development model.

Am I missing something? From my point of view, I need to develop a network-hub-connected (UPNP&SSDP) device, but the documentation for hub-connected devices seems to specify it will be only zigbee and zwave… :frowning:

The documentation for hub connected devices is not complete.

I am not a new user, but have grown my system by using the generous work of the community. What happens to all the time I spent setting this up. Let’s face it most of the Device Type Handlers provided by SmartThings are far from as good as the ones created by the community. Smartapps like Ask Alexa, WebCoRe, Big Talker etc, what happens to them. Also I am on a Mac, and very few of the work a rounds are for Mac. Windows, Raspberry Pi YES. I and many others are very concerned, that the promise of a system for everyone is going to be a pipe dream, and gone in a puff of smoke. I have so many devices that ST doesn’t support, what about them???

2 Likes

@joelw135 @RobinWinbourne @carl.debilly @GRClark @eric182 @Jwwhite @Danabw

I have merged all of the concerns about SmartApps, development, and publication here.

3 Likes

You better have a long list and a sharp pencil ready!

1 Like

I am feeling the same way - which is perhaps why other options are starting to pop up to fill the space that (from my perspective) ST is abandoning with these changes.

I am seriously starting to look at migration paths from my current set of solutions to other options such as Hubitat for this reason alone

:+1:

1 Like

Most developers on here are quite happy sharing their source code and also happy when others improve upon it and cite the original author.

SmartThings has never been open source, nor claimed to be, but the community generally has been. (Bar a few aggressive and morally questionable businesses).

I see a SmartThings App Store in the making which, while making a tidy profit for SmartThings, will destroy the community spirit… what works now will require payment to keep it working in the future?

I just hope developers maintain the spirit, with open source code duplicated on GitHub… I like to take custom handlers and rearrange, re-size tiles, add extra tiles etc… if we end up in a closed source App Store, then that ability will be lost right?

This isn’t a rant @jody.albritton, and I apologise if it comes across wrong. I just need to understand the facts as I’m in the middle of a huge new build project and need to decide if ST is still the way to go.

1 Like

So there will be a long transition period then it will all break when we throw it away - not overnight but over the (figurative) fortnight? Regardless it does have this feeling of "Yeah we know you all invested time and treasure to build to your needs within the processes and standards that are available, but hey … its all going to go in the crapper and you will need to redo everything or migrate to other solutions and redo everything

If that is the case, why not migrate to a fully local processing solution and redo everything … gotta do the work anyway.

1 Like

No. We are not taking anything away. When I say transition, I mean that we have been building all of these new ways of building apps - hopefully people will see the value in them and use them.

Not at all.

Local Processing is one of the reasons for these changes. The current groovy based model designed for a certain kind of operation. The platform was designed for a certain kind of operation. A lot of this retooling is going to give developers more access to local processing and other features that were previously unavailable.

3 Likes

That’s all I needed to know, thank you :pray:t6:

4 Likes

No. The old way will continue to work. Your hosted groovy smartapps will continue to work. But groovy smartapps are not the future of the platform. They will still work but all of the new tooling and infrastructure is being built to be more modular by design.

2 Likes

Jody, I don’t want to sound repetitive, but I am not a programmer, and want to grow with the community. If everything will have to be self hosted, how does an non programmer do this. Sounds like a daunting task. Also how do we get the hosted content if we don’t program? This question is very important to me and to a large portion of the community, that depended on the hard work of others.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure he means will continue to work as-is, you won’t need to move your apps/handlers.