Component Child Device with unique icons

If you set is_component to False in your child, then you can always access it in the things view. This is a way that the end user of the composite device could then go in and edit the icons used for the children. these still show up correctly in the parent device as well. As far as I can tell, the Component=false children still work as expected and are still deleted when the parent device is removed.

Thanks for the reply, but one of the primary reasons for using the composite children in this DTH was that we wanted to hide the fan modes from the things view (reduce clutter) while still exposing them for automations. We worked around the limitation but had to do so in a convoluted way. Ah wellā€¦whatever works I guess.

Yes makes senseā€¦I personally find the Things view is really only useful for maintenance type work because it is way to cluttered to use once you get to a larger number of devices, so I always operate from Rooms, making this a valid approach for me.

@ogiewon @stephack
Trying to do something similar - would appreciate if you can expand on this part
ChildDeviceTiles("referencename") details("referencename")

1. Can you show a code snippet with usage? canā€™t find this anywhere in docs, about the only reference I find is is this post

2. Where does ā€œreferencenameā€ come from - @ogiewon is using ā€œallā€ - I have looked at the zooz example and it uses ā€œoutletā€ but then I donā€™t find reference to ā€œoutletā€ anywhere else in either the parent or child DH

Dots are not connecting for me - seems like I am missing something obvious here
thanks in advance

I believe the referencename is arbitrary. It allows you to make sure the displayed order is as you want it in the details() list.

Note the difference between childDeviceTile() - singular VS childDeviceTiles() - collection of all child devices.