Community Theme is unreadable (10 Nov 2020)

Not sure what’s going on, but this is the “light” theme, and it’s unreadable:

1 Like

they just fixed it :slight_smile:

I was in the process of logging in:

but it resolved after taking the screenshot and about to click on login

update: site is changing frequently :wink:

Seems time would be better spent improving the app than the forum :wink:

4 Likes

@jody.albritton any idea whats going on with themes?

The latest round of updates came out in pieces - yall caught it midstream.

If you catch any other quirks, drop a screen grab here.

2 Likes

does that mean the rollout is done? mine still looks like a mix of dark and light after a ctrl+F5.

2 Likes

Please say the following is not the finished “light“ theme. Because if it is, somebody needs to go back to UI class.

White text on a black background is a “dark theme“ by definition. The eye reacts differently to it.

Let’s talk about reading on screens. Black text on a white background is best, since the color properties and light are best suited for the human eye. That’s because white reflects every wavelength in the color spectrum.
The reason it’s easy to see white isn’t unlike why we recommend wearing sunglasses when there’s snow on the ground. Because of the reflection, our irises don’t need to open as wide to absorb the white light. That leaves our irises in a neutral position and allows us to see with better clarity. This is especially true when white light is contrasted against black, which absorbs wavelengths instead of reflecting them.
White text on a black background, or “dark mode,” makes the eye work harder and open wider, since it needs to absorb more light. When this happens, the white letters can bleed into the black background and cause the text to blur, which is also known as the “halation” effect.

This is an accessibility issue because some of us don’t have eyes which handle those kinds of changes easily.

In my case, attempts to read white text on a black background result in instant double vision. Yes, I use voiceover: that’s because I can’t touch the screen easily and I need voice navigation. But I still normally skim it for information.

The reason apps give people a choice between “light“ and “dark“ themes is because different people find the different themes more comfortable to read, it’s not just an aesthetic choice.

And the following from a UI design website:

https://uxdesign.cc/accessibility-and-dark-ui-themes-f01001339b65

The bottom line is to be the most accessible, you really need to do both a dark theme and a light theme and allow your users to select the one that works best for them.

The theme as shown in this screenshot is mixed: it’s a dark theme at the top, and a light theme at the bottom. Therefore guaranteed to not work for anybody with a functional preference, even if you think it looks cool. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

I have a sneaking suspicion it may be :frowning: SmartThings.com has just been updated and has a similar design.

@prjct92eh2 , could you please tag me if this gets fixed so there’s a light theme which is actually a light theme and not mixed? I’ll have Mark check.

Meanwhile, it’s giving me a headache, so hopefully I’ll see you folks later.

1 Like

A more thorough explanation of the halation effect and how it looks to people with astigmatism, which is a large percentage of the population:

https://levelup.gitconnected.com/why-dark-mode-causes-more-accessibility-issues-than-it-solves-d2f8359bb46a

Give the user control. Make it easy to opt out of dark or light mode.

A page that’s half and half makes that impossible.

@blake.arnold

2 Likes

Wow. I stopped by that page: it’s been a long time since I’ve seen a website from a global 2000 company that was that inaccessible. It’s terrible. Images without alt text, truly crazy changes in focus, the mixed dark and light themes, unusable navigation controls… there is no way this even had an accessibility review, let alone a full test.

(For those unfamiliar with voice readers, the rectangle on each screenshot is showing you the element that “has focus“ meaning if you use voice navigation, that’s the element that will be “tapped.“

Anybody want to guess what that might be on these two screenshots? Because I have no idea. :thinking: )

@blake.arnold

2 Likes

Just like the new app, this theme sucks rocks…

5 Likes

If I didn’t know about SmartThings, I wouldn’t find out by going to smartthings.com anymore. Sheesh.

Or maybe it’s just because I know what SmartThings used to be and not what Samsung wants it to be. I mean, the top of the page has an 8 second looping video (*) showing off Smart View on a Samsung phone playing to a Samsung TV. I guess that’s the new definition of SmartThings, which apparently doesn’t have much to do with home automation anymore.

(*) the looping video has a |> play button that doesn’t do anything, and a || pause button that also doesn’t do anything, at least in Chrome and FireFox.

1 Like

our little corner of the internet definitely has a very different expectation of what SmartThings should be

2 Likes

I’m having eye surgery next month. I agree, this new format is less than friendly to my already messed up eyes. Makes me go cross-eyed reading anything.