Combination switch (over / under) - one device, two 3-way switches

While replacing light switches, we ran into I’ve where I have no idea what to replace it with.

Each switch on this device is part of a separate 3-way switch (the top goes to a hall, the bottom to the stairs).

Are there any ST compatible switches that could replace this?

If not, is it possible to use a Aeon Double Micro Switch?

Any other ideas?
Thanks a bunch.

Yes, you can use a dual relay. There are several that work with smart things. Or you could go straight for the following switch. They are a bear to get set up, but reportedly work quite well once you do get them paired correctly.

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-VRCS2-MRZ-2-Button-Controller-Multi-Location/dp/B0032ZB9HI

That said, I am concerned about the fact that your particular use case involves three-way set ups. If these two switches are the masters, you may have to swap out the auxiliaries for other devices.

If these two switches are the auxiliaries, I doubt if they will work with your existing masters. You’ll probably have to set up a virtual three-way and change out the other masters for network devices without traveler wires.

The problem with all of that is that if your home automation system goes down , these buttons would still work if they are the masters, but they will not work if they are the auxiliaries. You need to take that into account as well.

@Navat604 or one of the other electricians in the community could say more.

So in short, the Leviton device is a good two button in one gang box device. Popular in particular for bathrooms where one button operates the light and the other button operates an on/off fan.

I just don’t know if it’s going to work in a three-way set up. That’s going to be much trickier.

1 Like

Dual in wall relay module would probably be easier to go with and as mentioned by @JDRoberts. Your wiring config. will play a big part in deciding your hardwares. I would try to find out what kind of wiring first. The Aeon dual relay will definitely work but looking at the picture. How much room do you have back there? Emerwave just come out with a z-wave plus dual Relay and it’s tiny and it could be the only choice. Below are links to some 3 ways wiring, emerwave dual Relay.

2 Likes

Thanks very much @JDRoberts and @Navat604. Very very helpful. I’ll take a look at the writing and the enerwave solution. I’d like to integrate some z-wave plus devices s that could be a great solution.

1 Like