Classic Groovy IDE, new IDE, Rules API, WebCoRe?

[quote=“Borisw37, post:1, topic:219965”]

• Classic Groovy IDE - though still functional, it seems like it will be removed sooner or later. Documentation is also hard to navigate through, and groovy is just an odd language.[\quote]

I’m not sure why groovy would be considered odder than any other noncompiled programming language, but yes, it has been officially announced that the current IDE And the smartthings hosted cloud will be going away sometime this year.

• New IDE - starting a new app, I got to “hosting” at which point I need to supply either AWS Lambda or a public server access. Samsung / SmartThings don’t host these apps anymore? Not even sure what the language is.

Eventually SmartThings will no longer provide public hosting in their cloud. You can use any language you want to and host it yourself and then you connect to smartthings through the public API, essentially through webhooks. This isn’t fully documented yet, but there’s enough to start writing some if you want. Think of it like connecting to the “maker” webhooks channel in Ifttt. You can write your own program in C, Java, python, even groovy if you want, but it has to run on your own server and then connect through the endpoints to SmartThings.

• Rules - …

The new rules API is an official smartthings offering which will perhaps eventually run locally on the hub but right now runs in the smartthings cloud.

• WebCoRe - a 3rd party application that runs on the hub and allows developing custom apps?

Not quite. Webcore is a community created rules engine, currently written in groovy and currently running in the smartthings cloud Just like any other smartapp. You write your own “pistons“, which is what webcore calls its rules. But they are running in the groovy cloud, not on the hub. I haven’t heard of any plans to have it run on the hub. I believe that eventually the intention is to replace it with the official rules API.

Webcore has been around for a couple of years and has its own forum and a very active community if you have any further questions. here’s the community FAQ (the topic title is a clickable link) which has links to other resources including their forum.

2 Likes