[OBSOLETE] Circadian Daylight: SmartThings + Smart Bulbs

I can see the “New Circadian DayLight Setup” however when I click it I get the following on the mobile:

I’ve tried removing and reinstalling the SmartApp. Is there anything else I should be doing?

There should be two SmartApps installed, the Circadian Daylight Coordinator and Circadian Daylight. I know I really need to put up some installation instructions…

1 Like

That was the issue…thanks so much for the assistance.

1 Like

I was having the same issue. Thanks for clarifying!

1 Like

Just installed this app and for this app alone got smarthings, had a few questions. When setting and turn on dynamic brightness, what does the circadian app use to monitor light? can one select which motion sensor to use for that?

Also does it work with a motion sensor?

Circadian Daylight does not monitor light to determine brightness, rather it sets the brightness to what it “should” be, regardless of actual conditions. The idea behind CD is that color temperature and brightness are supposed to mimic naturally occurring conditions, so no sensors need to be polled.

Can you be more specific? I’m not exactly sure what you’re asking.

Perfect thanks i think that answers my questions.

As to the advanced version is it different to this?

also when adding smart app i added the child and the coordinator. But in the actual app only using co-oridnator as the app for circadian duelist says do not select. Is that correct?

The question i had was about dynamic brightness, in app its says light automatically adjust dims based on natural light so how does that work, does it use a sensor to do that? if so how does one assign a sensor to that room. Thanks.

There is no Advanced version of Circadian Daylight. There is Hue Advanced (Connect) which I developed to enhance the features of Circadian Daylight as well as add additional other features to the stock Hue (Connect). This obviously only applies if you are using Hue lights.

Correct, you need to add both, but you only manually set up the coordinator. Actually, when you go through the coordinator setup it automatically creates the children behind the scenes, as long as you’ve added the code for the coordinator and child in the IDE. I know that it’s really confusing for SmartApps that you load manually, but that’s controlled by the SmartThings team.

Ok makes sense, but have 2 more questions to make sure i have it set up correctly and maybe advice if need to get Hue Advanced connect.

1. The question i had was about dynamic brightness, in app its says light automatically adjust dims based on natural light so how does that work, does it use a sensor to do that? if so how does one assign a sensor to that room. Thanks.

2. Why do the philips hue lights come on one by one instead of turning on in a group, would that be prevented by using hue advance, i only have hue bulbs yes.

The wording for that section is bad, it should read “Dynamic Brightness automatically dims your lights to mimic natural light.” I’ll get that updated ASAP. So like I said, no sensor it’s all just time based - sorry for the confusion.

All commands sent from a SmartApp to multiple devices happen sequentially, not concurrently. With Hue Advanced, you can add Hue groups, which would allow sending the command to a single “device” in SmartThings (even though it’s multiple lights on the Hue end) and would result in simultaneous control. For example, any of my light fixtures that have multiple Hue bulbs I have created a group for and added that group to SmartThings.

Perfect thanks.

I’m having trouble enabling Dynamic Brightness and Colour in my devices. Previously I was able to toggle each within the device screens (in the mobile app) however it doesn’t toggle the paramters held against the device in the IDE:

I’ve even tried pushing these paramters using CORE without any success. Any advice? I’m using Advanced Connect to control my devices. Just wanted to ask before having to reinstall both CD and AC…thanks…

I can definitely see the brightness and colour updating in the Child App:

So can only assume the devices aren’t being controlled due to these parameters being false…

Your issue is actually with Hue Advanced. By any chance, does this issue only occur with White Ambiance bulbs?

There’s a known issue with that device handler, I’m sure it’s probably a simple typo in my code but unfortunately I haven’t had any time to try to troubleshoot. Also, I don’t have any White Ambiance bulbs to test with, so it’s going to take a lot of comparison and blind testing. I’ll will get it worked out eventually, but I’m moving into my new house by the end of May, so I probably won’t have much time to work on this issue for the next month or so.

1 Like

No worries at all, I’ve got both White Dimmer bulbs (no colour) and While Ambience bulbs (colour changing) - not sure of the exact names. All seem to be behaving the same regardless of the type. I did used to have the buttons working in the devices and toggling so I might give a clean install a go and see if it resolves the issue. Thanks and all the best with the move…

Update: I removed the Hue Controller and reinstalled everything and the toggles are working again. Not sure what happened there…

I like the smoother transitions provided be the osram lightify device type all the way at the beginning of this thread. Why it doesn’t go to 100% I don’t know, but the fade between modes is very pleasant.

However, CD only allows me to select my lightify temperature bulbs when I change their type to ZigBee temp bulbs which kills that smooth transition.

Is there a workaround? I thought about setting them as zigbee, completing CD setup, then switching the device type back, but with everything currently working nicely,I haven’t dared to mess it up.

1 Like

Are you referring to this Device Type Handler? https://github.com/sticks18/Lightify-Bulb/blob/master/Lightify_Bulb_v2.groovy

2 Likes

That’s the one! I’ve only had my hub for 3 days, so I’m pretty sure I sound like I’m talking in broken english to all you ST experts. Is there a way to keep the smooth transitions (Don’t care if it’s through the handler or not) AND CD running?

It looks like that Device Handler is missing capability "Color Temperature" from the metadata section. Should be added after line 24. Then you can remove line 26, and replace setColorTemp with setColorTemperature everywhere in the file. That should allow you to use it in Circadian Daylight.

2 Likes

That worked fantastically for my bulbs! Thank you!
I just installed the RGBW flex strips last night. Adding them to CD was super simple. Their colors aren’t as versatile as the bulbs, but they’re still pretty great.
Thanks for your help and thanks for maintaining the project.

1 Like