I’m new to Smartthings and home automation in general. I recently installed a Smartthings Home Monitoring Kit, which allowed me to integrated my existing Arlo Cameras, Rachio irrigation controller, WeMo plugs, and Leviton switches.
I’m looking to take things a step further by adding a thermostat, but I’m not sure what technology/type/brand/model etc… would be best suited for my needs. My home is usually occupied 24/7, so automating home/away, learning my schedule, etc… is not very important to me.
What I do want is the following:
- The ability monitor the temps of remote Smartthings multi sensors or motion sensors and make changes to the thermostat based on temps reported at remote sensor.
- The ability to control the thermostat based on open/close sensor status. For example, turn off A/C or Heat if I open some windows, or if a door is left open for a certain amount of time.
- Control of the thermostat independent of Smartthings, in the case Smartthings is not working I don’t want to loose control of my thermostat.
- I’d like to maintain simple, intuitive controls at the thermostat. So my wife or kids could easily make changes from the thermostat.
- Ability to voice control with Alexa.
- Ongoing product support; For example, I want a product that will be supported by the manufacture with regular software/firmware updates as needed.
- I’d prefer native Smartthings support, rather than a complex work around for integration.
Maybe all of these things don’t exist in one product, but I was hoping to get some feedback on what I can expect from different thermostats (as they relate to smartthings) and what limitations I will face.