Cheapest / Best Motion Sensors & Door open/close? (2016)

What is everyone using for cheap/good motion sensors? I have a bit of everything, and I like the ST ones but they are way too spendy.

Monoprice ones seem to have gone up, and I can’t find any of the PEQ ones anymore. What are people using for them?

Also, suggestions on good cheap open/close sensors, they seem to be more expensive than they use to be.

1 Like

Lowes Iris motion sensors and open/close sensors, especially when you can get them on sale (in store or online). If I had to do my doors and windows all over again, Iris would be my choice (sorry ST).

3 Likes

I tested 3 of the most popular Doors & Windoww, Open/close sensors:

• Smartthings Multipurpose sensor
  • Iris 2nd Gen Contact Sensor (purple box)
  • Ecolink Door & Window Sensor

All 3 of them paired to my Smartthings hub without any issues.

The Smartthings is only 2 inch long, but is a little wider at almost 1 1/2 inch wide so it may not fit on all window frames.
It does report battery level and temperature.
I have 2 so far, and one of them stopped reporting. I had to remove the battery, unpair it, and re-pair with the hub to make it work again.
At $39.99, it is the most expensive of all 3 sensors.

The Iris is a good alternative.
At 2 1/2 inch long by 3/4 wide, it will fit on most doors and windows.
It reports both battery level and temperature.
And the best part: Price is only $22.99 at Lowe’s, but if you are lucky, you can find them on sale as low as $15.99.

The Ecolink does have a wire terminal for additional setups (like hooking up to your doorbell). It also comes with both white and brown covers to match different interiors.
But at almost 3 1/2 inch tall for an inch wide, it is the bulkiest of all 3.
However it has a strong construction feeling, with an added antenae.
It does report battery level, but no temperature.
I installed one under my bottom freezer door (with an alert if remains opened for over 1 minute) and I don’t have anything to complain about so far.
Price is $29.99

4 Likes