Changes to Hue integration setup with ST - found by accident

Hi All - I had a brain freeze earlier this week, I needed to add a new light to my Hue setup (outdoor spot died being full of water!), I forgot completely that it just be “found” by the ST integration eventually but I got impatient and decided to add the device manually, I didn’t realise the grief this would cause.

The process re-linked my Hue account - this created a list of brand new devices it found, so I ended up with 50ish lights added new, plus all the existing ones duplicated.

OK really annoying - easy answer just clean up the new devices and use the existing ones as they are very embedded in Automations and Scenes and still worked OK. However when I looked I realised that they are using a different type of “placeholder”, which indicates it’s been moved away from the Groovy integration. Given recent issues with ARLO I’ve learnt that this is the new integration pattern for cloud services. I’d also learnt that the new linkages are a complete re-write and do appear faster.

I tested this, it would indeed appear to be faster (can’t actually quantify this right now, just my view) - especially when you have scenes with many lights being turned on and off, dimmed and temps set - it’s pretty much simultaneous where previously I would watch each light change in sequence.

So I decided that I’d remove the old integrations and use the new, so far so good, took a while but if it’s faster it’s worth the effort IMHO.

Now the head scratcher - I actually have two Hue hubs and when I re-linked it has only found the lights linked to one of the hubs, not both (they are on the same account). So I now have a mixture of lights in ST on the old integration and those on the new.

I can’t see any way now to find the lights on Hub 2 using the new UI - I’m reluctant to de-link, if I lose what I have it’s going to take days to recover it. I suspect that as happened with ARLO this new integration will be forced in the future as they deprecate the Groovy ones - that caused major headaches for a lot of people.

I wondered if anyone had seen this yet, especially if you have multiple hubs have you had issues with subsequent hubs and bulbs not being visible during or after new linking process?

I’m not sure exactly how this relates to your problem, if it does it all, but there are now two completely different ways to integrate with Hue. Both are official.

People who have a smartthings hub can use a local LAN integration. I believe the Hue bridge will be automatically discovered in this case, at least it was at one point.

Alternatively, you can use a cloud to cloud integration, which is when you should see the “placeholder“ device type. This is intended for people who are using smartthings in a “hub optional“ configuration, maybe they just have a fancy Samsung television and a hue bridge. No smartthings hub. But you can also choose to do it that way.

Some people have found that they got duplicate devices because somehow they managed to choose both methods of integration. I don’t know if that’s still possible or not. but just something to be aware of.

That’s interesting indeed, my original setup was local (as you say) and done years ago in the old app. I selected the linking option that was “not using ST hub” which to me was do I use the hue hub or not rather than linking bulbs directly.

I wasn’t given any option of local integration in the new app - this is clearly why I ended up with the duplicates.

I’m wracking my brains now in case I missed something obvious, but if I’m correct the local linking may not be an option in the new linking/integration process.

“Not using the SmartThings hub” literally means that: that you do not have a smartthings hub. As I mentioned, that’s more common these days because of people who have Samsung smart appliances and televisions. They now use the same smartthings app as people who have an ST hub.

All the official integrations assume that you are using a Hue hub. Whether it’s cloud to cloud or local.

It’s still an option. It’s the “with SMartThings hub” option

1 Like

the “Philips Hue without SmartThings Hub” option was added in the summer of 2020.

1 Like

Doh! you’re spot on I’ve created cloud links rather than local ones (good job I’ve got nothing else to do this weekend!). The descriptions on the linking types just didn’t shout out what decision I was making.

1 Like

By changing to Hue “with” Smartthings hub, you wont be disappointed. the execution is instant and very reliable because it all happens over your network between the Hue bridge and ST hub rather than cloud execution

2 Likes