Change Edge device to driver with a different capability?

I am using a contact sensor on a well float such that when it’s not “contacted”, it means I have a leak in the area. The contact sensor uses the standard Edge driver for a contact, but that prevents it from being used as a leak (leak monitor in STHM). With DTHs, I simply switched it to the closest Groovy leak sensor and it worked great. With Edge, I try to change the driver but it won’t let me select any of the leak sensor Edge drivers I have installed on the hub. Is there any way to do this without creating a custom Edge driver?

It’s because the capabilities don’t match.

You didn’t give the brand and model of the sensor you want to change. If it happens to be zwave, there is a zwave edge driver that will let one type of simple sensor pretend to be a different type. (The topic title is a clickable link.)

You have to subscribe to that channel, download the masquerade Driver, and then switch to it.

I don’t think there’s anything similar for Zigbee devices. One workaround would be to create a virtual sensor of the type you do want that also has a switch capability, then use routines to turn the virtual sensor on and off as the real sensor’s state changes.

2 Likes

My sensor is zigbee, but the virtual sensor idea will work. Thanks!

1 Like