CES 2121 (January 11-14, 2021)

No details yet. But they have a zigbee motion sensor that works with their wifi router which has a built-in Zigbee Hub. So I’m guessing it will be that.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1415656-REG/tp_link_ms100_smart_motion_sensor.html

Note that their SR 20 smart home Wi-Fi router has both a zigbee and a Z wave radio, but the app only allows it to work with about a dozen different devices. It’s kind of a weird product, I’m guessing it was intended to compete with Xioami.

https://www.amazon.com/Kasa-Smart-WiFi-Router-TP-Link/dp/B077Y939JQ/

The SR20 is marked end of life on their site. I don’t see Zigbee mentioned in any of the specs for the new wifi gear they are showing at CES.

1 Like

Weird, then I don’t know. Coolcam has some Wi-Fi sensors, but they have terrible battery life.

The advantage to Zigbee Sensors is that they would work with some Amazon Echo models while having much better battery life.

1 Like

I guess we have to wait a bit :joy:

1 Like

This is one of those “I’ll believe it when I see it“ product announcement, but it’s definitely interesting.

Yeelight has a partnership with the RAZER Gaming system to allow some of their lights to respond to in game events. It’s pretty cool.

At CES this year, they announced 4 new devices for this line. One of them is a ceiling light which has a regular main white light and then RGBW effects lights built-in. They are announcing it with smartthings integration at launch. It requires the separate chroma device.

Don’t know if it will ever actually come to market, but it’s an interesting product.

2 Likes

This looks like marketing foo foo and looks hella expensive! My current Samsung PowerBot Vacuum gets stuck on every dang thing and is constantly breaking. I can take it apart in less than 3 minutes now. Fixed 5 wheel assemblies, 2 brushes, 3 brush covers and a battery. POS really. Still cool though.

1 Like

@jkp I dont know how to in include the link but I just read an article in engadget about new Phillip’s hue devices & switches. Maybe you can out up the link. Just not sure if any of them work with smartthings.

this article?

1 Like

Yup thank you. They probably only integrate with the hue hub but still, more products coming out. I dont use his lights & prefer devices that integrate directly with the smartthings hub.

The Hue module is very curious. From what I’m reading, it doesn’t control the load on the light circuit itself. You hot wire the line to the load and the wall switch to the module. So the module itself is just a remote for hue bulbs essentially. I thought in some US jurisdictions it was against code to direct wire a light fixture, so I wonder how they’re addressing that?

Very few, NEC allows automated lighting systems, and most have always on power. Except there’s a thing in the NEC about the attic light, there’s supposed to be a switch within arms reach of the entrance to the attic that has control of that circuit.

But in most places, you’re OK in the US.

The really interesting thing is that is not true in the UK, where you are supposed to have one switch in each room with control of the ceiling fitting. hmmmm… :thinking:

2 Likes

Did you guys see the article about smartthings controlling your car through android auto? It’s on sammobile. I tried to click on the link but nothing.

Yeah, there were several interesting SmartThings tidbits from Galaxy Unpacked:

1. SmartThings compatibility with Android Auto. It looks like it basically adds a simialr as the mobile app to Android Auto along with some smart prompts like showing a Arriving Home scene when you get close to home. Similar to HomeKit, which is nice.

1. SmartThings adding car as a device. This one is light on details. Seems to be the same as the CES 2020 announcement that is yet to see the light of day
  1. not sure if this one is new, but SmartThings devices can be added to an Android alarm function for waking up in the morning.

2. Galaxy SmartTags can be used a button in SmartThings
    Samsung's Galaxy SmartTag location trackers double as IoT remotes - SamMobile

Here’s a direct link to the SmartThings segment of Galaxy Unpacked

And here’s the Galaxy Upcycling as a SmartThings device from the CES keynote

1 Like

Now is this samsung working closely with google?? I know I read an article going back about google looking to pay samsung alot of $$$$$ for assistant placement on their phone. I think they wanted google assistant to be the main voice assistant instead of Bixby.

BS…

The baby monitor idea is old, really old. Alfred was on the market years ago.

Otherwise my previous Galaxy phones just died after a few years (3) of use. First an S4 before I bought the next S7, then the S7 just a few days after I bought the replacement S10.

Does anyone really believes that Samsung will start to develope apps for Android version 2,3,4,5,6 etc for the old models…

They even not developing SmartThings for some of their own cheap models.

And where is the OBD II Samsung Connect Auto? — Moj.io beat the market…

That one sounds interesting, but I recall that Samsung has its own hardware and software (Galaxy Watch) which hasn’t received an update of the SmartThings app for more than a year, and the new watches are not even supported. Android Auto is not showing Google Home devices and may or may not run Google Assistant Routines. Who can believe then that it would really allow a screen like that.

It is only smoke and mirrors…

Very true…smoke & mirrors. Sucks my galaxy smartwatch doesnt receive any more updates & it’s like samsung completely forgot about it. That’s why this year I’m using my wallet wisely. I’m not sure if I’m investing in samsung products this year. I just have alot of research on other smart home hubs & see how best I can integrate other devices into my home that are not a part of the samsung family.

Only time will tell what is shown during these trade shows actually sticks. A lot of companies pitch things during CES without asking their engineering team if its possible :slight_smile:

1 Like

A friend of mine used to tell this joke:

So the marketing guy comes into the afternoon status meaning, super excited, and says “I just sold a $1 million contract for a purple one!“

And one of the engineers says “we don’t have a purple one. We have a red one and a blue one.“

And the marketing guy says, “yeah, I know. But can’t you just sort of mush them together?“

:rofl:

4 Likes

@Automated_House

Smoke and mirrors…

Samsung 2020 TVs hasn’t got SmartThings app like the the latest Galaxy Watches.

But some says there is an update for Android Auto in the latest app.

Honestly, the Android 11 comment is still funny as Samsung has released Samsung Galaxy S21 with Android 11. Some might should give some advise how to use SmartThings then…

Otherwise has anybody heard anything about the Alexa/Google Home device selection option? Wasn’t that announced as well on CES 2021 between the “Something is not quite right.” announcements?

You have to get Q series and up to get the SmartThings app on the TV (it’s horribly documented. I confirmed it with Samsung TV support).

1 Like