SmartThings Community

CES 2017 (general discussion thread)

iotfuture
iotindustry

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #122

I can understand they want to maximize their opportunities for recurring revenue for the video storage / playback; but they could be a little more generous for the free plan.

And opening up an API for the Switch and Motion Sensor would be a really nice gesture.

(fightingmajor) #123

All you can do with Kina and Alexa is turn the light on or off, which seems pointless as most would have it set up for motion or from Sunset to Sunrise already.

Do you have a link on this? Tried to find something and can’t find anything.

Post 38 above.

Thanks. Would like some good battery operated switches to avoid some of the more complex wiring or where no neutral.

It will definitely be good to have more choices. :sunglasses: You can see what’s currently available:

Also, as far as no neutral, the Lutron switches are hard to beat, so if that announced integration really is available by the end of February, it will open up a lot of options.

I bought the deal posted a few months back and returned the unopened box at the local home depot. They can sniff their private cloud :smiley:

Wow, a lot more options than I thought were out there. Will probably wait to see what happens with Lutron and maybe grab a remote if they go on sale in the mean time. When the minimote was on sale like every other day I couldn’t think of a use for them. Have to balance “buy it and they will come” vs “spend money on stuff that never gets opened” lol.

$250 is expensive though.

(Matthew Freestone) #131

So I saw some people mention Blue Iris. I currently have 10 security cameras (most INSTEON 720P, but a few new Amcrest ones which I’m going with going forward) and I use iSpy to do all the recording but iSpy hasn’t been the most stable and wigs out the video of my 2k camera all the time. Is Blue Iris better than iSpy? Any thoughts?

Great question, but not for this thread. :wink:

Please start a new topic for this question in Devices and Integrations and I’m sure you’ll get lots of responses when people see the topic title.

https://community.smartthings.com/c/devices-integrations

(Ciro) #133

I was already very confused by Smartthings @ CES2016.
The idea of integrating it in Samsung smart tv is (was?) great but why implementing it as a replacement of the HUB (with that goofy USB stick) instead of just using the (already there) cloud infrastructure.
And then 2017: puff, they just disappeared. I read in the post that ST is being “featured” somewhere but the only google result for “CES 2017 smartthings” is this post. and this

All appliances are Smart but not smart enough to OAuth my ST account? The only decent use of those monitor on fridge door would be to control home status and they didn’t implemented it. I already posted somewhere else on here I think the only real explanation to ST problems is their weak cloud infrastructure (pretty much the core of the entire ST platform). Everything is so (unnecessarly? ) cloud based and they are just afraid of the doomsday when every ST user will have to disconnect the main power to reboot the house.

As we’ve said a few times in this post, expect our “big announcements” to happen over the next few months at Samsung events and MWC.

I don’t know what you’re talking about with not finding any news though:

Probably not world changing announcements for many of the people on this forum, but you should definitely expect some more news before Q2.

Check here for a list of Samsung appliances supported out of the box. This list will continue to grow as we integrate new products.

(Ciro) #135

cool, I was wrong.

(Ciro) #136

I checked the appliances link: correct me if I am wrong (again) but are they all recognized as wifi/bluetooth (zwave/zigbee?) devices they can’t directly control or/and directly interact with the hub (and that’s why they can’t be compatible with V1?) I know the ST philosophy is to NEVER replicate anything outside the mobile app (external remote are deprecated since they break the flow right?).
After the brilliant Alexa integration (real OAuth implementation I assume since it can actually control things) I was expecting at least the same level of integration with other devices. (xbox, firetv, chromecast, appletv… samsungTV)? What went wrong there? (that was the spirit of the original message).
I guess [quote=“Tyler, post:134, topic:71367”] big announcements [/quote]
something is moving

(Billmans) #137

I asked a number of Samsung people in the main Samsung booth/display at CES 2017 and they didn’t even know what SmartThings was. Best attempt was someone who told me it had been rebraded and was built into the TV’s and other appliances! Just saying it doesn’t look good when the people showing off all the newest smart technology don’t even know about SmartThings.

Just an update: Focalcrest has updated the descriptions of the mixtile hub on their site and no longer claim to be HomeKit compliant, or even mention HomeKit at all. :wink: Now it just says “voice control,” which could be Alexa or Google home, both much easier integrations for a manufacturer than HomeKit.

http://www.focalcrest.com/solutions/smart-home-hub/

My guess is that after CES 2017 Apple let them know that they have to go through separate HomeKit certification, just an mfI chip is not enough. And since there are specific functional requirements for hubs and bridges which this device as described did not meet, it may be a while before they get permission to use the trademarks. We’ll see.

(Eathan Knutson) #139

Does this Ring flood light camera integrate the same as there doorbell??

Living in the cold of Canada it is hard to find Outdoor cameras rated for the weather. So im really interested in this Ring product.

Hope someone has an answer haha.:sunglasses:

(Cris D) #140

I don’t think its out for sale yet. Maybe the Ring site has weather rating info.

(Eathan Knutson) #141

I seen it on their website and its rated for -28C so it’s perfect buy yea I
just don’t want to spend all that money if its not going to work…