Capability groupControl

(Tony - SmartThings Unpublished Contributor ) #1

Capability.groupControl( __)

Many applications require multiple calls individual devices. This is not only makes things more difficult to code, but increases the load on the system.

It would be great if one could create a device type with this capability.groupControl, set the type (one one) of devices it would control. This group device would then inherit the capbilities / attributes of the underlying device type.

Ex: capability.groupControl(colorControl) would be a single device that would control all devices with capability.colorControl.

(Joshua Lyon (SharpTools.io Dashboard)) #2

Is there a particular benefit you had in mind to doing this within a Device Type rather than in a SmartApp?

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #3

This doesn’t fit in the current Platform’s implementation of Capabilities if I under what you are thinking of.

But it might be a hack or a feature request, but I’d like to hash out the details.

“Groups” of Devices are important because most Capabilities are singular. Capability Button, for example, is currently a hack (ie, requires a SmartApp) used for multi button controllers.

This already exists in zwave through the Association class and is supported by ST.

http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/device-type-developers-guide/building-z-wave-device-types/z-wave-primer.html

For example a secondary wall controller with 3 buttons might be associated in a group with 3 devices and turn them all on or off with one button.

As I understand it, the use case problem right now is that we can’t combine zigbee and zwave devices into one ST group, but if you do, they still can’t physically produce just one outbound message, there would have to be at least one per protocol.

You can combine devices in a Hello Home Action, but you have to start from scratch each time, right?