Can I have a routine trigger another routine?

(Blair Dee) #1

Is there a way to have a routine trigger another routine? Or is ther a way to have a routine run when the mode is set to night?

Yes, but you have to use a virtual switch act as a gobetween.

Routine A turns on the virtual switch

The virtual switch triggers Routine B via a smartapp you’ll find in the marketplace:

(“Home phrase” was the original term for “routine”)

And Routine B turns off the virtual switch again so that it will be ready for the next time. :sunglasses:

If you haven’t created a virtual switch before, here are the instructions for that:

(Robin) #3

Or use CoRE:

This will give you a much cleaner solution without needing virtual switches / secondary routines to reset it.

Takes a few extra steps to install CoRE but you only have to do it once and then you can use CoRE to do almost anything… You’ll probably never need another app.

(Blair Dee) #4

Thanks for the tips. I see what you are going for with the virtual switch. I got my virtual switch set up but I have run into a problem with the “switch activates home phrase” smart app. If I don’t specify a routine to run when the switch is off, it won’t let me save it.

But I do t want to run a routine when the switch is off. I simply want to run a routine when the switch is on.

Any ideas?

(Robin) #5

Create a new routine and call it ‘blank’… Leave the actions within the routine blank and then use this new routine for the ‘switch turns off’ selection.

It would have been far easier to just use CoRE… No virtual switches and no dummy routines (as per my example above)

But as you have already gone into the IDE to add the switch and you have found the home phrase app, you may as well continue on that path now.