Calling all community members: New SmartApp Ideas

Well, since you asked… :smile:

A smartapp to turn a device like a Minimote or SmartenIT 3 button controller into a true “toggle.” First up - Modes.

• Button 1 is pressed
  • If mode is X (or not Y, which might cover your bases more easily), change to Mode Y or execute Hello Home Action, which changes to mode Y
  • if mode is Y, execute a different Hello Home Action

As you can imagine, there are a ton of if/thens that could happen here. This could be applied to lights, locks, etc. as well, not just modes or HH Actions. Basically, turn that switch into a “true smart switch” by making an app that adds “contextual awareness” to the mix.

Example - something really simple, Movie or Party mode. Press button 1 to put the house in party mode. Press button 1 again, while in party mode, to return to previous mode/preset mode.

As I stated in that other thread, this would be incredibly easy in @obycode’s SmartRules app once he is able to add support for button controllers. But, I think there may be an issue with the way they are done (or aren’t done) in ST that is causing him some grief, although I’m not sure since I’m not a coder.

This is really why I really love the SmartRules iOS app and can’t say enough good things about it. It is SO flexible and covers the majority of scenarios I run into. It also allows me to tinker very easily.

3 Likes