Buying First Hub 2021

Neither. :sunglasses:

Samsung has decided they no longer want to make smartthings branded Home automation Devices, so they are turning that over to partner companies. Samsung will continue to provide the app and the cloud platform.

You didn’t say what country you were in, but the new partner for both the United States and Europe is Aeotec. So that’s the hub you would get.

Here’s the announcement about the partnership strategy. The topic title is a clickable link.

Here’s the Amazon link for the US:

https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-SmartThings-Gateway-Compatible-Assistant/dp/B08TWDNQ5Q

As far as Wi-Fi mesh, I agree with @nathancu , get a different brand of router. The smartthings brand is weird: if the Internet goes out, your local Wi-Fi goes out as well, which is not how most mesh routers work. Also, they have not updated the firmware on those as frequently as the other hubs, and since Aeotec has not announced that they are taking over those models, I’d be very concerned that they may be discontinued quite soon. They haven’t announced that, but with no future support path defined, I just wouldn’t take the risk.

1 Like