[NEEDS UPDATING] Bulbs, switches and sensors, oh my....what to buy (device class features FAQ)

I found this product which uses Smart Life instead of ewelink. Not sure if it is reliable but I seem to have better luck with Smart Life plugs than any ewelink switch. Although it’s not direct integration, maybe this is the only thing I can find :frowning:

Multi-Switch that uses Smart Life

What I mean is a switch (wifi, zwave or ZigBee,) that has two or more Load inputs that go to different lights and the switch fits in a one gang in wall box. Easy to integrate to ST. I’m looking to replace the ewelink switches which are terrible in my case.

Hi @ecallegari,

Have you ever seen the Neo CoolCam wall switch? It uses Zwave and they fit in a single gang wall box.

Take a look at this msg

For any questions…

Grtn Ben

Hi @benerkens

Thanks so much! They do have a U.S. size 1 gang switch with two buttons and two loads. That maybe the best one I’ve seen and already has integration with Smartthings.

For those who need the amazon link:
Neo Z-wave light switch

I’ll keep reading about it but I’m happy to see at least one product that meets these requirements. Haven’t seen any other.

A quick word on budget brands in zwave light switches that have come out since this thread was originally started.

In addition to GE, I would definitely look at in Inovelli and Zooz. Both tend to be less expensive than the GE but using newer technology. (And if you are on a really tight budget and you have a lot of three-way switches, some Zooz models can be wired with one master switch and use your existing dumb accessory switches, an additional cost savings.)

Zooz is a house brand for the Smartest House. You can normally get your best price from them, and if you need a dozen or more write to them and see if they can get you a quantity discount.

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/collections/zooz

Inovelli are available through Amazon or through their own site and come in a number of different models.

https://inovelli.com

Both companies have representatives who are active on these forums and you can find a lot of threads about the products. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thread about garage door tilt sensors. (Not door openers or controllers: just the sensor.)

1 Like

Excellent post by @veeceeoh (post 10 in the thread) on how Xiaomi devices do and don’t work with SmartThings

FAQ: Help! New to smartThings: will Xioami sensors work?

The following thread discusses options for an inwall receptacle where the two sockets can be independently controlled. Not plug-in modules.

Before anybody gets too excited, while there is one model that works in the UK and one model that works in the US, they both rely on IFTTT for integration with SmartThings. So cloud to cloud. Interestingly, they both also offer HomeKit integration, so if you happen to use iOS devices you can use that as a local backup. But otherwise, yes, cloud-dependent.

US:

UK:

I have 19 overhead lights in my basement, which are currently controlled by 4 switches (no 3-way). All of the lights currently have Osram Color Temperature bulbs installed.

I want to install smart switches, and wire the fixtures to be always on and simply control using Smartthings rather than directly to the switch. I will then use the multi tap and hold features of the Homeseer switches to trigger scenes in Smartthings across all of the lights.

Can I buy Homeseer HS-WA100+ switches (add-ons) instead of HS-WS100+ switches? I know that if I were using the switches to control load to the fixture, I would need WS100+, but I am not doing that here.

The add-on’s are about $20 less so I was hoping to save if they met my needs. I specifically want to have multi-tap and press/hold features on each light switch.

2019 thread discussing “stackable” pocketsockets, that is ones that will not block the other outlet.

1 Like

As of this writing, all of the sirens on the official compatibility list are zwave. The following 2019 thread has a discussion of some Wi-Fi and zigbee siren options if anybody needs those:

Discussion of battery powered lights in the following thread:

Good discussion

1 Like

New 2019 FAQ on switches that don’t require a neutral wire:

FAQ on zigbee light switches that work with smartthings:

2019 Thread on Pocketsockets, since a number of new models have come out since this thread began:

Smart Plugs— what’s your favorite? (2019)

Thread on smart controllers for dumb RGB led light strips:

LED RGB/W SmartTings controller for dumb Light strips (2019)

2 Likes

Brief 2019 discussion of bright smart bulbs that don’t require an additional Bridge/gateway/hub when using SmartThings. Applies to both the US and the UK.

2 Likes

2019 thread discussing motion sensors which can be plugged in rather than battery operated. There are now several of these. :sunglasses:

FAQ: Plug in Motion Sensor? (2019)

Battery operated lights. There aren’t any with direct integration, but there are a few options: